6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2013 10:02 PM by Rick Gerard

Resolving Television green screen blur

EsotericSeoul

I'm compositing footage of that will make a television appear to be playing visuals. In the shot the television displays a solid Chroma Key Green. The problem with this footage is that glare on the surface of the television makes it hard to get a solid matte. I've isolated the pixels of the chroma key as best I can. What should be my next step in getting a solid key?         

• 1. Re: Resolving Television green screen blur
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Can you post a still of the untreated shot?

• 2. Re: Resolving Television green screen blur
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Andrew said, provide a screenshot. May simply require some additional masking to create a garbage matte, may be doable with other channel operations...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Resolving Television green screen blur
              EsotericSeoul Level 1

This one is my keyed resultScreen Shot 2013-04-07 at 1.43.44 PM.png

This one is my source footageScreen Shot 2013-04-07 at 1.55.34 PM.png

• 4. Re: Resolving Television green screen blur
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This isn't a job for color keying. 

I would track the TV with Mocha and create a matte. Then I'd use those reflections as an overlay on the replacement to give it more realism.

• 5. Re: Resolving Television green screen blur
                  EsotericSeoul Level 1

Thank you for your advice. I didn't think to use Mocha. How would I create a Matte in Mocha? also The director doesn't want the reflections so I need to get rid of them. Can I remove them in Mocha as well?

• 6. Re: Resolving Television green screen blur
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are dozens of tutorials on masking in Mocha for AE. Check the Imagineer site. As far as the reflections go, the most difficult part of compositing this kind of a shot is making it look real. Reflections and motion blur do a lot to sell the shot. I never attempt to put green on a screen or add tracking marks. The rectangular screen is perfect for planar tracking. It's much easier to complete the effect if the screen is either off or all black. Then you can add back in as much or as little of the highlights and reflections that make the shot look real. If I have to I build my own reflections and make them very subtle. The choice is yours but it wouldn't hurt to give him the option. It also wouldn't hurt to research this kind of visual effects procedure before it was shot. That's how a visual effects supervisor earns they pay.

Here's a quick composite showing how I would approach the shot. The bottom layer is the footage. The middle layer is a replacement graphic for the screen. The top layer is another copy of the base footage but it has been masked by Mocha. There's also a masked black solid that is used to control the reflections on the bezil of the screen. The tracking info for the mask has been applied to the screen replacement and the black solid. I added Hue and Saturation and curves to the top layer which is used as a track matte but in this case I turned back on the visibility so that I could pull out some of the reflections on the screen. The curves adjustmen controls how much of the reflection is added to the screen. The blend mode is set to screen. Add a little motion blur to match the motion blur of the footage and you're done. Which looks better to you. The one with some subtle reflections or the one where the entire bezil and and the screen graphic are both sharp and flat?

Note: now that I look at it the screen graphic I grabbed has a little reflection on the artwork that I would remove. It's on the right side. I'd take it out because as the camera moves the reflection won't. That's a dead give away that the shot is a sloppy composit.

nakatomiPlaza.jpg