11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2013 8:14 AM by Jim_Simon

HDV = Grainy & Blurry Why? CS6

warmkiss

HDV Footage looks grainy/noisy after import to premier. The project was opened with the HDV sequence settings. I took a screen-capture from the raw HDV MPEG2 File in both premier and other programs/players and it looks fine in others but grainy and ruined in premier.

I exported some files, they look Decent in 720p but blurry and/or grainy at 1080x1440i. I doubt this is an export problem. I tried countless formats MPEG2 (the default) I tried mimicking HDV 25MBS etc I tried MP4 and all look blurry and or grainy. Why does Premier even have to process files before use? I'm no novice and I've played with/checked my sequence settings, project settings etc.
      There must be something off, even cheap pro-sumer programs have native HDV support and can process an HDV video lossless if no effects are added and near-lossless when effects are added.
      Someone please help?
      Thank you in advance =/

• 1. Re: HDV = Grainy & Blurry Why? CS6
          Taverino Level 2

What is the source of your footage? I bring in HDV video (tapeless/M2T) from a Sony Z5U (1440 x 1080p) all the time with PPro CS6 with standard settings and the quality is not grainy or blurry after import and when the final sequence is exported. What do you mean by "Premiere has to process files before use"?

4-6-2013 6-52-12 PM.jpg

• 2. Re: HDV = Grainy & Blurry Why? CS6
            warmkiss Level 1

I origionally got the footage from HDV with another program (pinnacle). This gave me a .M2V File, 2 WAV Files, a SCN file and an XMP File.
            I thought Premier would read that M2V file natively, but it doesn't. What I mean is when I first opened the M2V File with premier it took like 20 minutes "conforming" (on the bottom right of sequence 01) after saing processing under the filename in the Media Browser.
            It sounds like I may be outa luck since I didn't import the Tape itself through Premier. I guess now the question is why doesnt premier like M2V files (Its an MPEG2 at 25MBS and exports natively to MPEG2 25MBS in other programs)? Maybe theres a sequence setting that does I'll check

• 3. Re: HDV = Grainy & Blurry Why? CS6
              Taverino Level 2

Is the source footage progressive or interlaced? Could the problem be PPro is interpreting interlaced as progressive? In the Project Manager, if you right-click on a footage file, Modify->Interpret Footage, you might need to select the correct field order.

• 4. Re: HDV = Grainy & Blurry Why? CS6
                warmkiss Level 1

Its interlaced. Upper first 1440i. I tried interpret footage but changing the field order didn't do anything to the noise. I also tried tweaking the pixel aspect ratio. I also tried tweaking the hold/frame options in the sequence to no avail.
                I'll have to upload a photo but basically: M2V File opened with WMP or VLC or other= not-noisy M2V File... in premier= Grain all over, like someone shrank it ~30% then applied sharpness (just enough to not be noticable until you publish ERG)
                Will check back tomarrow with photo. I thought interpret footage was a good idea I think thats in the right direction at least.

WMP is reading this file better than premier XD

• 5. Re: HDV = Grainy & Blurry Why? CS6
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  I thought Premier would read that M2V file natively, but it doesn't.

The format itself isn't an issue as I can import M2V without a problem.  So it's something specific about that file.

I'd recommend recapturing using Premiere Pro or HDVSplit.

• 6. Re: HDV = Grainy & Blurry Why? CS6
                    warmkiss Level 1

Yea I think your right. I'm not sure what though, what is premier doing that VLC/WMP/Other-programs are not? I'll attach a zoom of the problem, its just suttle enough to accidentally overlook at first

M2V Noise Problem.jpg

• 7. Re: HDV = Grainy & Blurry Why? CS6