14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2017 11:25 AM by bethh58474549

Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11

AXY1234 Level 1

Hi everyone,

I've been scanning in a lot of old photographs of late.  Many (probably all) of them would benefit from application of the "dust & scratches" filter, but it doesn't appear as an option in the "process multiple files" pull-down.  I've heard about "autohotkey" being used as an alternative mechanism for doing batch processing, but can't find an example online that works with Photoshop Elements 11.  Would anyone care to share any tips on how I could automatically process my scanned photographs in ways that "process multiple files" doesn't offer?

Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone can offer.

Best regards,

Andrew.

• 1. Re: Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

What operating system are you using?

Yes, it can be done in variety of ways.

• 2. Re: Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11
            AXY1234 Level 1

Hi there,

Sorry - I tagged Windows 8 but didn't mention it in my post.  Ooops.

Andrew.

• 3. Re: Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11

One way which i've been doing this is to use the Image Processor script from photoshop in pse 11.

(only works in pse 11 or possibly future versions of photoshop elements)

You can download the PSE 11 Image Processor.zip, extract the file (right click on the zip and press Extract All)

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=ZOP9CgDC38plXHju4uVLkQ

and then copy the Image Processor.jsx to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 11\Presets\Scripts (64 bit version of windows 8)

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 11\Presets\Scripts (32 bit version of windows 8)

Start or restart pse11 and in the Expert mode it should be listed under File>Automation Tools>Image Processor

(an image doesn't have to be open to run the script)

Then we just need to know if you want the Dust and Scratches to use the same settings all the time or you want to be able to adjust the filter between photos.

(so we could send you the action to use with the image processor)

The image processor is similar to process mutiple fles except you can choose to run action that you have loaded in Window>Actions on the processed photos.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2a.jpg

• 4. Re: Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11
                AXY1234 Level 1

Hi again,

Excellent.  To first order that seems to work - I'm able to access "Image Processor" under the "Automation" pull-down.  However, I can't for the life of me seem to get "Dust & Scratches" into the list of available actions.  The screenshot below shows what I've got ...

Dust_&_Scratches_v2.jpg

What I guess I'm after is "Dust & Scratches" appearing in the lower right box and again in the central "Image Processor" box.  I find that if I double click on "Dust & Scratches" in the upper right box, it briefly appears in the bottom right box's list but then immediately disappears again.  That suggests that I'm close, but no cigar.

I suspect a large part of the problem here is that I'm quite new to PSE, and have never used PS.  As such, I presume that I'm missing something basic about how one interacts with these boxes and menus.

Thanks in advance for any tips to get me over the finish line.  And thanks again for your help so far.

Best regards,

Andrew.

• 5. Re: Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11

You need to have an action for Dust and Scratches, that i could make for you.

I just need to know if you want to run the same settings in the dust and scratches filter on all the processed photos or change the settings between photos.

Meanwhile you can experiment with this action which opens the dust and scratches dialog for each photo with your last used settings.

If you don't want to change the settings you can just press the enter key to apply the filter or adjust the settings and press OK.

https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=XZAxeFkqrNosNA7bkTDGVA

Download and unzip the Dust and Scratches.zip, then in the pse 11 actions panel, go the flyout menu and click Load Actions and navigate to the place where you extracted the Dust and Scratches.atn

Untitled-1a.png

One thing i did forget to mention before is not to check the Convert Profile to sRGB box under Save as Jpeg or the script will probably mess up.

Untitled-1.png

• 6. Re: Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11
                    AXY1234 Level 1

Hi again,

That seems to work fine now (bar waiting for me to press "OK" after each image; but I guess that's intentional at this point).  To answer your question, I'm happy to use the same settings for all of my images - while one can tweak things to achieve a better result, I've got more photographs than I'd care to make individual adjustments for!

Thanks again for all of your help.

Andrew.

• 7. Re: Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11
                      AXY1234 Level 1

P.S. Would you recommend a resource where I can find out about these ATN files?  The one above seems pretty simple in structure, so I'm assuming that it's possible to write one's own fairly easily.

• 8. Re: Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11

Therein lies the major roadblock in using actions in photoshop elements; one can play actions recorded in the full version photoshop such as photoshop cs6, but can't

record one's own actions in pse for all practical purposes. (it's not impossible, but it's kinda of a covoluted process)

If you know what settings you want to use, i can record an action that uses those settings and doesn't open up the dialog each time.

If you interested in actually recording your own actions you could download the trial version of photoshop cs6 and that would give you thirty days

and there are tons of tutorials on the web about recording actions in photoshop.

• 9. Re: Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11
                          AXY1234 Level 1

Hi again,

I don't think I'm sophisticated enough a user to require this just yet.  But it's still good to know what's available one "step" up the Adobe ladder.  I suspect that I've got enough to learn with PSE!

Thanks again for all of your help.  I think I'm set now.

Cheers,

Andrew.

• 10. Re: Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11
                            alisse Level 1

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but this is not working for me. I pulled the image processor script from a CS2 version (the link above is no longer valid), but it never appears in my PSE 11 menu in expert mode. 'Fit Image..." is this only option under that particular menu. I have the 64-bit version, running windows 8.1 and followed the directions (actually copy/pasted the location to ensure no mistakes) as listed here. Any suggestions on how to get this to show up?

• 11. Re: Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11

Hi,

Move the Image Processor script to your desktop, open it using Notepad and paste the following at the top of the script.

//
                              /*
                              <javascriptresource>
                              <name>Image Processor...</name>
                              <about>batch proceesor</about>
                              <category>script</category>
                              <menu>automate</menu>
                              </javascriptresource>
                              */

(just the stuff to the right of the green line. Not the Numbers on the left)

Save it and move the Image Processor back to

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 11\Presets\Scripts

and then the Image Processor should show on the File>Automation Tools menu.

Untitled-1.png

• 12. Re: Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11
                                alisse Level 1

Worked perfectly. Thank you!

• 13. Re: Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11
                                  julies19825621 Level 1

Please help.  I can't even find the PSE 11 Image Processor download on the site given.   Where is it?

• 14. Re: Batch processing photographs in Photoshop Elements 11
                                    bethh58474549 Level 1

how do you ?

copy the Image Processor.jsx to:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 11\Presets\Scripts (64 bit version of windows 8)