4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2007 12:33 PM by kglad

Search Functionality?

Baal Bebb Level 1
      Does anyone know how to include search functionality in a flash module? I have several pages with text and images. I would like to add a search bar that allows a user to enter some text. If the text the entered matches up with any text on any of the flash pages I want some sort of results page returned that allows them to then go to the pages with those search terms.

thanks,
      sage
        • 1. Re: Search Functionality?
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          you'll need to create your own or look for someone elses that's publically available.
          • 2. Re: Search Functionality?
            Baal Bebb Level 1
            Ok, but I dont even know where I would begin on creating my own. What actionscript classes or methods might one use for such a feature?
            • 3. Re: Search Functionality?
              Rothrock Level 5
              TextField (input)
              String

and I think there is supposed to be regular expressions in AS3, but I don't know anything else about that.

It may be possible to go through all the objects on your stage and determine if they are text and if so search inside them. However that might be too process intensive. So perhaps if all the content of your site was in XML files that could be searched? Just an idea, so in that case XML class.

Basically this is a big project that requires some good design and thinking about how to go about it. Perhaps a smaller mroe realistic goal of just searching one text field and then take what you learn and scale it up?
              • 4. Re: Search Functionality?
                kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                regular expressions are supported in as3 and static text is accessible to actionscript in as3.

but i don't know if the op is using as3 and, in any case, this is not a novice-topic.