8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2007 3:03 PM by Juan_Jiménez

Flex & DB's??

Juan_Jiménez
      Greetings, everyone. Let me introduce myself. My name is Juan, aka ÐâŖк6. (You can call me DaRk6 or just plain DaRk)

I'm a Flash Develper and I'm interested in lerning Flex. In these days i´ll be buying my copy of Flex, and i want the fullest version so I need someone to tell me which ony buy.

But that's not my issue, I really need to know if Flex can connecto to any relational DB like MS SQL Server or MySQL, directly, and if there is some componenet able to do it. I always connected Flash to MySQL using PHP and XML, but watching some Flex samples made me decide to start developing on it, and most of my works are related with merchandising, so Flex's chart components are just what I was looking for.
      But I need to recieve dinamycal data and the company I'm working for right now use MS SQL Server.

Thanks for spending some of your time reading me.
        • 1. Re: Flex & DB's??
          Level 7
          In article <fgsp26$sfm$1@forums.macromedia.com>
          "????6"<webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:
          > But that's not my issue, I really need to know if Flex can connecto
          > to any relational DB like MS SQL Server or MySQL, directly, and if
          > there is some componenet able to do it. I always connected Flash to
          > MySQL using PHP and XML, but watching some Flex samples made me

You would use the same techniques with Flex.

--
          Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
          An Architect's View -- http://corfield.org/

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."
          -- Gustave Flaubert, French realist novelist (1821-1880)

• 2. Re: Flex &amp; DB's??
            Juan_Jiménez Level 1
            I was reading some tutorials and I got this 2 answers: You have to use the Web Service technique, OR you build your own connection to MS SQL Server: http://www.cflex.net/showfiledetails.cfm?ChannelID=1&Object=File&objectID=571
            Can someone check it and tell me if it is a solution?
            • 3. Re: Flex &amp; DB's??
              Juan_Jiménez Level 1
              I already found my answer, but now I really needo to ask you people something else:
              To connecto to MS SQL server i need to create a new instance of a server connection, using a JDBC, BUT to configure it I need JRun Management Console. I downloaded FDS from the Adobe site, but I can't find the console :s
              COULD ANYONE HELP ME?
              • 4. Re: Flex &amp; DB's??
                Juan_Jiménez Level 1
                Already instaled JRun 4 to use the JMC but now I´m looking forward to create a MXML that fetches de data from the sql server... any help?

NOBODY'S REALLY HELPING ME :(
                • 5. Flex &amp; DB's??
                  Juan_Jiménez Level 1
                  Already resolved my problem... thanks, I think... (that's only in case you were looking forward to help me, and I doubt it...)
                  • 6. Re: Flex &amp; DB's??
                    mrs_kariem
                    Please Help me and Give me a solution. I am a bignner like you and I need your help please.

Give me an example of how I can connect flex with DB (I want to connect it with oracle). How I can do that??

please help meeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                    • 7. Re: Flex &amp; DB's??
                      Level 7
                      You could write a JSP page that returned XML from HTTP posts from your Flex
                      application using <mx:HTTPService>

Or, you could use LiveCycle DataServices and either write a simple Java class
                      as a RemoteObject destination that queried your database using JDBC.

Or, you could go further and using LCDS with it's <mx:DataService> feature
                      and connect to a destination that makes use of either a SQLAssembler or a
                      HibernateAssembler where it would manage all CRUD operations to your DB table
                      and keep all connected clients in sync.

It all depends on what you're trying to do in your client application.

• 8. Re: Flex &amp; DB's??
                        Juan_Jiménez Level 1
                        I have already made apps that retrieve data from an external server, using ColdFusion, but that option that Peter describes is really interesting. Can you explain it to me? And if you can give some sample code? I'll be eternally in doubt with you.
                        Thank You.