10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2018 10:16 PM by rapusirkus

Lighting effects previews ok, but disappears

Teags24

Hi there,

Huge apologies if this has been covered elsewhere or is a simple solution. I just need the answer asap. I am working in Photoshop CS6.

I am putting a light effect over a layer and the lighting effect using the alpha channel.

Everything is fine in the preview stage, however when I go back to the main part of my document the effect appears for a little while then disappears. I save it before it disappears as a JPEG and as a psd to input into indesign but when saved the lighting effect does not show up on either file. 

I don't think its crashing or anything. I appologise I'm not 100% sure what the specs of my Mac is, I only just got it. Its the i7 retina display released mid last year with 8GB RAM SSD. I hope the screen shots can help

This is what it looks like without the effect and what it looks like after the effect disppears.

Screen-Shot-2013-04-08-at-3.27.39-PM.jpg

This is what it looks like in preview, and what it should look like when saved.

Screen-Shot-2013-04-08-at-3.28.32-PM.jpg

• 1. Re: Lighting effects previews ok, but disappears
          Noel Carboni Level 8

Did you press the blue [ OK ] button up in the Options area to commit the effect back to the document?

Adobe thinks this new method of previewing effects right in the document preview area is better, and it has some merit over a plug-in with a separate preview window, but I've seen it confuse people who don't realize the effect really isn't made part of the image layer until after the effect is actually completed.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Lighting effects previews ok, but disappears
            Teags24 Level 1

Hi Noel

Yes I had pressed the Ok button.

After I press that, the effect does show for a little while. But when I go to tchange something, or save it, it reverts back to what it was before I put the effect on.

Teagan

• 3. Re: Lighting effects previews ok, but disappears
              conroy Level 5

I can reproduce the problem when an alpha channel is targeted in addition to a layer at the moment of opening the Lighting Effects filter. After the filter is commited and normal document mode resumes, a change (the desired effect) has been made to a cached display image only, not the pixels of the actual layer. Then when that cached image is updated some time later, the lighting effect vanishes.

To get a change to the actual layer, ensure no alpha channel is targeted before opening the filter.

• 4. Re: Lighting effects previews ok, but disappears
                Teags24 Level 1

Hi Conroy

That sounded very plausable! However it is still diappearing. I make sure the alpha channel is not selected and is not visable and it is still disappearing. The other 4 channels are selected and visable. Is there something else I am doing wrong?

I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Teagan

• 5. Re: Lighting effects previews ok, but disappears
                  conroy Level 5

That's strange that my solution doesn't work for you. I have checked several times now and the problem and solution on my machine are consistently as I described. I'm using Ps CS6 13.0.1 on OS X 10.6.8.

• 6. Re: Lighting effects previews ok, but disappears
                    conroy Level 5

First screenshot shows the result when "Alpha 1" is targeted before activating the filter. "Alpha 1" is no longer targeted and Channels panel reveals that the filter has not affected the target layer. Only the display image has the result of the filter. When the display is later updated with the real content of the document, the filter effect will vanish.

Screen-shot-2013-04-08-at-12.55.44.png

Second screenshot shows the result if "Alpha 1" is not targeted before activating the filter. Channels panel reveals that the target layer really has been affected by the filter.

Screen-shot-2013-04-08-at-12.55.56.png

• 7. Re: Lighting effects previews ok, but disappears
                      Teags24 Level 1

Hi Conroy,

I really apreciate your time in helping me work this out.

Is there a way to know that I am definitly not targeting the alpha layer? This is my screen shot right before I go the the lighting effects preview. Could any of my other layers be effecting this?

Screen-Shot-2013-04-08-at-10.54.17-PM.jpg

• 8. Re: Lighting effects previews ok, but disappears
                        conroy Level 5

Channels panel highlights the targeted channels. Also, the display image would be the grayscale content of the alpha if the alpha was targeted. Your new screenshot shows "Alpha 1" is not targeted and the LE filter should work correctly. I see nothing in your Layers panel that would cause a problem.

Does LE filter work correctly in a new simple test document containing just one layer and no alpha channel?

What happens when the test doc contains just one layer and an alpha channel?

• 9. Re: Lighting effects previews ok, but disappears
                          Teags24 Level 1

Hi Conroy

I restarted my document, doing the background layer first and dragging the text layers across and it has seemed to work!

Maybe I had too much going on in my first document? It is A1 in size. I would think Photoshop would be able to handle it but maybe not.

And FYI it did work when I didn't use the alpha filter in my first document, so it must have been the alpha filter at some stage!

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to help me out. Hopefully it behaves now and I can finish my artwork.

Hopefully I won't be back!

Thanks again

Teagan

• 10. Re: Lighting effects previews ok, but disappears
                            rapusirkus

I realise this thread is old as can be, but I noticed that the lighting effects will not stay in effect if the layer selected has eg. colour overlays etc. active in the layer settings. Without them, the lighting effects will stay put