I have two SWF files (AS2, FP8) that communicate via LocalConnection (the connection goes two ways).
I got this all working fine both in browser and when just testing both swfs together locally then I closed the FLA files, renamed them and reopened them. I left my test HTML file open in Firefox, made some text amends in one FLA and republished both.
The LocalConnection no longer works either in a browser or when both SWFs are published together. Weirdly if I refresh the test page I left open it picks up my text changes and still communicates but if load the same HTML in another browser tab the connection doesn't work.
Is there some weird security settings that I'm triggering here somehow?
I have tried renaming the files back to what they were, reverting my text amends and republishing but it seems that I killed mu files simply by closing and reopening them.
All these files are in the same folder together on my desktop.
Thanks in advance for any sugestions at all.
you have to be careful to have each swf open only once. if you have one swf open in two browser windows (even in different browsers) or one swf open in a browser and one in a test environment or stand-alone player, localconnection may fail.
I fixed it.
I'm not 100% sure but somewhere along the line a local connection must have got opened and not closed properly. I am now unable to use the connection name that I started out with even after restarting flash and firefox but if I change the connection name everything is back up and running again.
I assume that something is caught in memory somewhere and that after a full restart it will reset itself.
correct, a restart would close all instances of both swfs.