You may have given up by now.. I just hope this advice helps some other user..
Have encountered this isssue several times..
several points I will note: of the machines I have worked on to date: only 1 did not have malware, all thus far have been 64bit Win7 and it seems after update to Reader 11.03..
but each so far I have:
- Checked for and removed any malware and or strange BHO's and Toolbars
- cleared all temp files including temporary internet
- removed Adobe reader and ANY OTHER PDF READER and reinstalled Adobe reader
- Checked that PDF's are associating with Adobe reader (sounds silly )
- Started the PC in Safe Mode - check reader works
- Disabled Protected Mode in preferences: then disabled antivirus, along with most startup services and applications
- restarted in normal mode - Check PDF opens normally: 100% of time for me it worked
- re-enabled the anti-virus - restarted PC and rechecked
- re-enable services and applications by group - restart and retest
So far that is all that I have needed to do.
All the best
Message was edited by: Glenn Hurse - missed the Disable Protected mode step.. lazy typist