12 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 2:21 AM by Monika Gause RSS

trying to make a name badge from a business card

squatch97401 Community Member

I also posted in Photoshop.  Just looking for the best and easiest answer.

I scanned this business card as a picture (HP all in one).   I want to remove the information below Taylor Shelley ( I was going to use the clone tool and match the background - good idea or bad?).   Here are the steps that I tried.

1. Crop the name Taylor Shelley and saved that file for placement later.

2.  Clone the background to remove the info below the name.

3. Insert the croped name and center below the business name and cell phone to the right.

4.  I need to add the word Owner below the name Taylor

I don't like the pixel look when I'm finished.  Should I be using illustrator.

Is there a better way to do this.

Thanks

Mikescan0003.jpg

• 1. Re: trying to make a name badge from a business card
          Mike Gondek2 CommunityMVP

Open this in Photoshop and clone out all the name details (the patch tool may do this well and easy). Open then in Illustrator, and add all the type back. this way our type will lok all crisp and vector when printing, and if you get any more chnages will be easy to do.

If you really want this to look sharp just recreate all, as there is nothing there you cannot create in a  few minutes, except if you don't have the font for the logo (looks like Chalet Paris 1980).

• 2. Re: trying to make a name badge from a business card
            John Danek Community Member

Any scan will be considered 3rd generation.  Try to get your hands on the original file.  That's the best way or best practice.  At a minimum, get a PDF of the original file.  Looks like your standard Helvetica font, so easy to replicate in Illustrator.  Only question is where the background came from?  What is your plan for bleed?

• 3. Re: trying to make a name badge from a business card

I have only done a few things in AI.  The phone looks pertty easy.  A couple of rectangles, one rounded corner, a circle and a dash line.  Not sure about the Name logo on how to do that.  Any ideas for a video etc (tutorial) on how to do something like that.

The name Taylor I think is Berthold Akzidenz.  I'm not going to buy that for several hundred dollars.  But I should get close enough.

I'm thinking of doing from scratch If I can figure out the busines logo.

thanks

Mike

• 4. Re: trying to make a name badge from a business card

I have the AI Digital Classrom.  I have my artboard black, but I want to change to a little lighter transparency (not sure if term is correct).  How do I do that.

thanks

Mike

• 5. Re: trying to make a name badge from a business card

Why Black?  The card is not Black.  I would create a 4c background in Photoshop and try to match the color as close as possible there.  Do not mess with transparency...yet.  Get to know the fundamentals first, then migrate to that later.  Instead, think of Black as percentage(s) with 100% being solid, 50% being mid range, and 10% as highlight or light Black.  Use the CMYK color palette to adjust the percentages.

• 6. Re: trying to make a name badge from a business card

I took your file and created a background.  Your scan picked up the "LAID" finish of the card stock used for the card.  This adds a layer of texture you may or may not want.  I did the artwork in Photoshop because the color and texture would be hard to recreate in Illustrator.  Other elements like the logo, the phone artwork, and text should be done in Illustrator, not Photoshop...

bkgrndSM.png

No way there is any Black in this file.  I also added some noise in Ps.  Unfortunately I could only generate a 144ppi resolution.  See if you can use it anyway...for your project.  What is it?  A class assignment for school?

• 7. Re: trying to make a name badge from a business card

I'm retired and one of the many vendors in The EuGenius Market (eugeniusmarket.com and Facebook eugenius Market Eugene oregon).  I just help out the Manager who setup the market with the little knowledge I have on PS and AI, along with doing video/photo editing on Roxio for advertising on a loop for a TV in the mall.  I don't mind using the forums to find out answers on how to do things.

Thank you for your help.  I will look back into PS to see how to add noise.  Also, on you previous post about 4c,  I'm not sure what you mean, but I going to take that as a color.

I will be looking into that shortly.

Thank you

Mike

• 8. Re: trying to make a name badge from a business card

4c = process color ( CMYK ).  Your scan screen shot above reads 75%C-63%M-65%Y-41%K in the edge and 67%C-53%M-54%Y-22%K in the center.  On my browser ( and Photoshop ) it looks greenish. I have not printed it, but I am pretty sure it will print like a swamp Green.  Take a look at your scan at around 200% and you will see texture ( unless I am seeing jpeg compression artifacts ).  If you like the texture, then it can stay.  I would have to see the original card and whether the gradient is smooth or not.  Let me know how it turns out.

• 9. Re: trying to make a name badge from a business card

I like the one you did and I think a copy and paste will be close enough.  They can't complain about my price.  My next question is how do I go about getting a font or making a font close to the Cell for Cash (logo).  As I said I do have the AI classroom book.  Just lead me in the right direction and I can do some research

thanks

Mike

• 10. Re: trying to make a name badge from a business card

The "C" and "S" in the logo could be hand manipulated, with the rest of the letters looking like a form of "Futura".  I use MyFonts.com, but others have used whatthefont.com to find unknown typefaces.  I still think the rest of the text could be Helvetica Neu or derivatives of Helvetica.

• 11. Re: trying to make a name badge from a business card

I did try both of the font locators.  To hand manipulate fonts, what is that called.  Where do you think that I could find that type of info in the Classroom Digital Book.

thanks

Mike

• 12. Re: trying to make a name badge from a business card
                                Monika Gause CommunityMVP

In order to manipulate paths (which is what text will be after converting it), you need to have some pretty gopd practice of the pen tool. Should be at the very beginning of the "Classroom". So you might just wat to start working your way through it.