4 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2014 2:39 AM by STUDIOMT RSS

Incorrect Parameter error: checking out files on remote server in CS6

Radiocat#99

Hi folks

I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 and CS6 and have now cannot check out files from my Universty network's remote server.

Error message: "Incorrect Parameter".

Site and Dreamweaver preferences all correct, and Dreamweaver FTP test claims it is connecting to server successfuly.

I have installed and rebooted with recommended patch update for FTP bugs, to no avail.

Anyone had similar problems or have any suggestions.

Most appreciated in advance.

• 1. Re: Incorrect Parameter error: checking out files on remote server in CS6
          Preran Employee Hosts

Hi,

Am posting a solution from this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/133080. Let us know if this helps.

When I've had this problem, the corrupt file is missing "Last Modified" information. Simply find the file with missing "Last Modified" (either through Windows Explorer on the local drive, DW FTP, or whatever), then manually cut & paste the contents of the file into a new file, "Save As" the old file name, and "Put". Then try to sync again.   

• 2. Re: Incorrect Parameter error: checking out files on remote server in CS6
            Radiocat#99 Community Member

Thanks for your response Preran

This "incorrect parameter" error message applied to all files, and not any one file in particular. Last modified dates are present, so I don't think it is a file corruption issue. It appears to be a problem with simply checking out files, as Dreamweaver is connecting to the remote server, and I have been able to check out, modify and upload a file since the upgrade, although this was a slow and buggy process.

I upgraded to Windows 7 and from CS4 to CS6 at the same time. Is it plausible that it is Windows 7 that is the problem? Are you aware of any upgrades that may assist?

I appreciate your assistance with this issue.

• 3. Re: Incorrect Parameter error: checking out files on remote server in CS6
              pangea33

I was pretty surprised that Dreamweaver would freak on a missing value that could easily be derived from the create date, but this fixed my problem. Thanks for sharing it.

• 4. Re: Incorrect Parameter error: checking out files on remote server in CS6
                STUDIOMT

Hi,

I know this thread is very old, but "Parameter is incorrect" ("paramètre incorrect" for french Dreamweaver users) is an issue who's not solved from a few years ago and sill present in the just last released Dreamweaver 2014.1.

I have many time requested the Adobe support to solve this problem, so I will let you know my last exchange witch a Adobe technician "Arindam Ghosh" (who's not even have the courtesy to answer me anymore) !

THIS ISSUE IS CAUSED by a missing file properties (the : CREATION DATE), I don't know why or where or when cause a missing "creation date" of a file, but the fact is: if THIS properties is missing, you COULD NOT open this file in Dreamweaver !

As we can't transfer a file like that (because the simple fact that we recopy or transfert the file make a creation date to the new file), so is it impossible to "show" to Adobe (Wh'os always said...impossible to reproduce the problem !!!) as I has purposed to us to make a remote control of my computer.

I think this is related to network issue (NAS)? that cause a "creation date" file properties missing.

As we paid for program (thousands dollars from many years! across the different versions) this is unacceptable that Adobe do NOTHING to solve this issues!

Here, the lastest discussion I have with then technician from Adobe and my purpose and explanation to solve the issues!

-----------

Dear Mr Ghosh,

Thank you for your efforts, but this bug is not closed in anyway.

I'm not alone face to this issue (who's know from Dreamweaver CS 3,  and even before!)

The "Incorrect parameter" error is a know issue (discussed in many forum)
                https://forums.adobe.com/message/5218096
                https://forums.adobe.com/thread/133080
                http://www.experts-exchange.com/Web_Development/Software/Macromedia_Dreamweaver/Q_24797249 .html
                and so on

Many users has not find the cause to this issue, as I am, and I furnish you all the key in your hand to solve it ! (I think, a "simple" end-user can't do more than this for you, and I spend many hours to find and try to solve this issue)

As we have a development Team here, and develop some applications, I don't understand you can't make a "simulation" to reproduce this issues (simply by passing a Null variable of the field).
                A simple way to test with your developper team is to pass "manualy" this "creation date" who's read from the file to "Null", and you will have the message "Incorrect parameters"
                So, make a simple condition if this parameter is not present in the file attribute and simply ignore it or advertise "attribute missing" instate of not open the file and have a blank page instate ! (because this information is not critical, even you said :"

The “creation Date” attribute is required to maintain file synchronization information for sites.", as it can be re-recorder when re-saving the file...)

It's about a few lines of code, and will take 5 minutes to test and solve :-/

I think, the above test, will be an easier way that to find a manner to remove the"creation date" attribute from an existing file (I think it is particular to network and NAS, prehaps due to a raid reconstruction, a files transfert, something like that, that cause a missing "creation date" file attribute).
                Also, I have read some post who speak about the possibilities to remove the "creation date" with a MAC (I can't test, we don't have a MAC)....

Of course, others applications (like notepad, wordpad, notepad++, and any other programme who can't open php,html, ect) can open a file without a "creation date"  attribute, without any problems ! (except Dreamweaver)

So,I hope a solution from adobe, and that this will not remain as-is...

Best regards,

Le 02-09-14 07:10, Arindam Ghosh a écrit :

Hi,

We would like to reiterate that even after trying several times across multiple machines; we were unfortunately unable to reproduce the issue at our end.

The “creation Date” attribute is required to maintain file synchronization information for sites.

Please confirm if this bug can be closed.

Thanks,

Arindam Ghosh

Dreamweaver Team,

Adobe Systems

Subject: Re: Incorrect Parameter error while checking out files

The "online" files is not the problem, is it the local file the problem.
                so I don't understand in witch way the "ste" and online file can help you ????

all you have to do, is to find a way to produce/or have a file without a "creation date" (like I show you in the file properties).
                I think with a MAC you can delete the "creation date" properties of a file (but I'm not sure, and I have no mac to try)

Also, a fundamental question is to solve this issue, why do you read a "creation date" to open the file in Dreamweaver?

Le 28-08-14 13:28, Arindam Ghosh a écrit :

Hi,

The .ste file that you sent doesn’t have any server information, without which I can’t access your files.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Arindam Ghosh

Dreamweaver Team,

Adobe Systems

here, in attachement the file.

Le 28-08-14 12:01, Arindam Ghosh a écrit :

Hi,

Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. 1. Launch Dreamweaver
                2. 2. Go to menu “Site -> Manage Sites…”
                3. 3. Select the site and then click the “Export the currently selected site(s)” button
                4. 4. On the dialog that follows, select the radio button which says “Back up my settings” and click OK
                5. 5. Save the .ste file to your system

Please share the .ste file saved in step 5 above.

Thanks,

Arindam Ghosh

Dreamweaver Team,

Adobe Systems

Hi,

how I send you the ".ste" ?

Le 28-08-14 11:35, Arindam Ghosh a écrit :

Hi,

The only thing which will help us fix this issue is to first reproduce it at our end so that we can analyze the same and try to figure out the root cause.

Doing a remote session here will not help much. That is exactly why I asked for the .ste of your site.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Arindam Ghosh

Dreamweaver Team,

Adobe Systems

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply.
                I have no way to reproduce an empty "Creation date" (and I don't know why, the creation date is "empty"), but if I copy, transfert, zip, ... you the file, automaticly a "creation date" is created....
                I think in a Windows environnement, this "Creation date" is always present, but in linux (NAS server) and network environement I don't think is it always the figure.
                So, I think it will be produce by a change on the NAS itself, by a owner change attribute, right or file attribute change, or somethink like that...

I have made you a print screen of the file parameter who's make this issue (in attachement).

If you want to make a remote control on my system (ex: Teamviewer) to show you the problem, I am at your disposal, also for testing any patch (because this issue bothers me for numerous years....).
                I think it will help also many users who have this issue.

Also, I have the last release of Dreamweaver CC 2014 (I have a Creative Cloud subsciption)

Thanks for your support,
                Best regards,

Le 28-08-14 06:29, Arindam Ghosh a écrit :

Hi Thierry,

Thanks for writing to us with your concern. We are sorry to know that you are facing issues while using the software.

Unfortunately, the issue is not reproducible at our end with the steps mentioned by you in the problem description. Can you please share the .ste file of your site so that we can try to reproduce the issue directly with your files?

In the meantime, we have logged an internal bug # 3813495 to track this issue.

We are delighted to let you know that we have just release the brand new Dreamweaver CC 2014. Have you tried it yet? Here’s what’s new in Dreamweaver CC 2014.

Please let us know. We are eager to hear from you.

Thanks,

Arindam Ghosh

Dreamweaver Team,

Adobe Systems