7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2013 5:38 PM by Todd_Kopriva

GPU Not available

Alphaman359

Has anyone found a soultion to the following error in AE CS6?

Under fast previews menu and GPU information, Raytracing drop down, I'm unable to select my GPU (GPU not available - incompatible device or display driver).

The Open GL dialogue is listing one of my GPUs (Quadro 6000) but the CUDA dialogue is greyed out.  I am utilizing the Nvidia Maximus configuration which incorporates the Quadro 600 card and a Tesla C2075. 

I've updated all drivers and to the best of my knowledge am running the Maximus set-up correctly and on a system far exceeding minimum requirements.

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-262- - @ 2.00GHz 2.00GHz (2 processors) giving me 12 hyper threaded cores I believe (24 cores including the virtual cores)

64.0 GB Ram

It might also be of note that the GPUs are not recognized by Premier Pro CS6 or 3DS Max 2013.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Bobby

• 1. Re: GPU Not available
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

What are the exact driver numbers that you are using, including the OpenGL graphics driver and CUDA driver?

• 2. Re: GPU Not available
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If other apps don't recognize the cards, then something is busted. uninstall the graphics driver in safe mode, then reinstall it from scratch.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: GPU Not available
              Alphaman359 Level 1

Thanks Mylenium I will give this a try.  It may be of note that I have had this looked at and the technician is telling me that the hardware has been verified as working correctly and that he has in fact been able to get the Quadro 6000 card recognized in 3DS Max so they are now working on getting the Tesla to be detected. It seems it is a driver issue.

• 4. Re: GPU Not available
                Alphaman359 Level 1

Hi Todd, thanks for your reply.  At this point the technician has only tested the re-installed drivers with 3DS Max so I'm hoping that they will also be detected in the CS6 software.  I was using the latest dirvers from Nvidia (as I understand it) 311.35 and my understanding was that this release of the driver incorporated Cuda 5.0.  Should I be installing seperate Cuda drivers?

• 5. Re: GPU Not available
                  Alphaman359 Level 1

Do I need sepearte OpenGL drivers too?  Wow it seems you also need to be a computer scientist to be a creative these days   From memory I think the OpenGl version was 3.0

• 6. Re: GPU Not available
                    Alphaman359 Level 1

I am informed by the technician I had look at this that he has been able to make both cards in the Maximus configuration visible to 3DS Max and the CS6 suite of programs. 

He also informs me that it was not a driver issue but an environment variable set automatically by Windows which was left blank and should have read 0,1 

Now, this makes no sense to me whatsover but I hope it does to others and that this can help you out.

Regards,

Bobby Kennedy

Alphaman Productions

• 7. Re: GPU Not available
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Thanks for answering back.

Regarding the " it seems you also need to be a computer scientist to be a creative these days " comment: You are using some cutting-edge hardware.