4 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2013 3:46 AM by JWK79

Watermarks and Encryption

JWK79

1 am using Certificate Encryption to restrict unauthorized usage of documents sent to individuals. I particular, I wish to prevent onward transmission. I hope I have achieved this. I have also added a Watermark, but it appears that this can be simply removed. Is there any way that when recepients of hte file print the document, the Watermark remains in place? I am using Acrobat Pro 11.

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Watermarks and Encryption
          AdityaKalania Adobe Employee

Hi,

Please check the following thread http://forums.adobe.com/message/4893570

This might help you.

Thanks

• 2. Re: Watermarks and Encryption
            JWK79 Level 1

Many thanks, Aditya.

Unfortunately, the link to the video is not working, but I should be able to

find another route.

If I am correct, you first secure the document with a password - presumably,

they need this password to open the file? Will this interfere with the

Certificate encryption?

Kind Regards

Paul

• 3. Re: Watermarks and Encryption
              Steven.Madwin Adobe Employee

Hi Paul,

If you are using Certificate Security then no, you do not use a password to first secure the document.

There are two parts to the document security story; file access and file permissions. Whether you use Password Security or Certificate Security the same two concepts apply. The first part, file access, is pretty straight forward. You lock the document using a security method and only the individuals that have the key can open the file. With Password Security the Document Open Password is the key, and if you know it you can open the document, if not you can't. With Certificate Security it's having access to digital ID that is associated with the public key that you used to encrypt the document. If you have access to the digital ID (really the corresponding private key which is wrapped into the digital ID) you can open the file, and if you don't you can't.

Once the file is opened comes the permissions part of the equation. As the document author (really the person that is encrypting the document) you have the capability to enforce a set of permission that give the recipients of the document certain rights. For instance, you can either allow or deny the ability to print the file. If you really don't want to allow someone to get their unauthorized hands on the file disabling printing is a good step. The thing is, once the file is printed all someone has to do is scan the pages and car build a representation of the original document. If they can't print in the first place they can't circumvent the security. another thing you can do is prevent (disallow) editing of the document. That way the recipient cannot remove the watermark.

Is any of this fool proof, no. The recipient could use their camera phone to take a picture of each page on the screen and rebuild the file that way. It wouldn't look very good, but if they are hell-bent on breaking confidentiality then there are ways, it's just that you want to make it as hard as possible for them.

Steve

• 4. Re: Watermarks and Encryption
                JWK79 Level 1

Hi Steve

Many thanks for that, very helpful and really appreciated

Cheers

Paul