6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2013 11:27 PM by brucebowman

Connect second computer to "host" computer?

Shpigford Level 1

I have Edge Inspect running on my Mac Pro. I'm able to connect multiple mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, etc) without issue.

But I have a MacBook Pro that I want to also connect. But instead of trying to connect to the Mac Pro, it just seems to be trying to "host" it's on instance instead of connecting to the Mac Pro.

Is there any way to fix that?    

• 1. Re: Connect second computer to "host" computer?
          Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

If I understand your question correctly, you'd like to connect the browsers on your 2nd MacBook Pro to Edge Inspect similarly to how we allow you to connect devices, and you'd like to control the browser(s) on that machine through Edge Inspect. Have I got that right?

If so, then no, there is not a way currently to get Edge Inspect to work like that. Out of curiousity, can you explain more about why you're trying to do that and what you're trying to accomplish?

Thanks,
          Mark

• 2. Re: Connect second computer to "host" computer?
            Shpigford Level 1

I have a 27" screen with my Mac Pro. Then I have a 15" Retina Display MacBook Pro.

The MBP's size and retina screen make it different experience than that of the 27" screen.

The Mac Pro is my primary design/dev machine, so it's my "hub" from which I'd like to have any number of other devices (handheld, laptop, etc) to pull from there.

That make sense?

• 3. Re: Connect second computer to "host" computer?
              Mark_Rausch Adobe Employee

That makes sense, thanks. We've talked about allowing Edge Inspect to control other browsers on your computer, but not necessarily on other computers. I'll pass this along to our product manager.

Thanks,

Mark

• 4. Re: Connect second computer to "host" computer?
                brucebowman Employee Moderator

Hi Shpigford,

As Mark said, we've considered a workflow where we control other browsers and computers using Edge Inspect synchronous browsing, but don't have that featue in Edge Inspect right now. We do have some idea about how to do that, but I'd love to hear from you on how you'd like it to work. If you're willing, please email me with a detailed description at bbowman atadobe dotcom.

Bruce Bowman

Edge Inspect product manager

• 5. Re: Connect second computer to "host" computer?
                  Pär Stålberg (Ottoboni)

I can also feel that a sort of control of another computer and browser would be really good to have.

When we are doing a test with a site we have several devices that is looking at the same page with Edge inspect.

At the same time we have several computers with different browsers looking at the same page. This would be great to control from Edge Inspect...

Now when everything is responsive then the same site is on every device.

Browsers we often test on other computers IE8-IE10, Firefox PC, Safari PC, Chomre PC. We have the rest of browsers on the development MAC that is running Edge inspect.

Pär Stålberg

Production Manager

Ottoboni.se

• 6. Re: Connect second computer to "host" computer?
                    brucebowman Employee Moderator

You might want to check out LiveReload, or CodeKit. Both watch your local file system, and cause the browser to reload when it detects changes (file saves). If you do this using Chrome, and Edge Inspect, you'll get close to what you're looking for. They accomplish this using either JavaScript that you include in your page, or browser extensions/plugins, and web sockets.

We did an article on our Edge Inspect Team blog a while ago: http://blogs.adobe.com/edgeinspect/2012/04/24/shadow-livereload-workflow/

Hope this helps.

Bruce Bowman

Edge Inspect product manager