Yes. I did try to compile WebHelp using one of the sample projects.
I have successfully created WebHelp in the past using my same projects. One troubled project was compiled successfully in October 2012.
I have changed nothing about the RH install.
Any idea what Windows security update might be at fault? Any idea how to determine if this is the case? Any ideas how to solve the problem?
Ok, if none of the projects work then it's got to be either the RH install or your environment. I'd first try the RH install - deactivate, uninstall, reinstall, reactivate - then test again with the sample projects. Still failing? Check your environment - got an IT department? Windows installed any changes since it last worked?
By the way, thanks for trying to help.
What do you mean by deactivate? How do I do that?
I can handle the uninstall, reinstall, reactivate.
As for my environment, what should I check assuming the reinstall doesn't work?
I do have an IT department. They have little or no RH knowledge.
There have been numerous Windows changes (updates) installed since the projects last worked.
Deactivate is the first step - go into RH > Help menu, you should see Deactivate as an option. Some volume licensing installs don't have it, I seem to remember.
I hope Jeff won't mind me adding that if you have the Technical Communications Suite installed the Help > Deactivate menu item in RoboHelp is sometimes unavailable as he says. However if you open either FrameMaker or Captivate the option should be available from the Help menu there. This deactivates the entire suite for you.
Jeff and RoboColum(n),
Found the Deactivate command. Working on the uninstall/reinstall.
Please stand by. I'll let you know how it goes.
I performed the following steps:
Checked for and installed updates (version is still 184.108.40.2061)
Opened and compiled a sample project.
The error is the same.
First I have often found that Deactivate becomes enabled if you wait a while after opening.
Search on these two lines from your first post.
Template Error: can not resolve macro: RegisterResolvers
Fata Error: Cannot run macro: Register Resolvers in compilation.
(Was it really Fata rather then Fatal?)
Maybe you haven't changed rights but have IT done so without your knowledge?
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips
Thanks for joining. Good to hear from you again.
I searched for the two lines you noted before my initial post. I searched through Google and through the Adobe forums. I tried all the suggestions in the posts that I found. Have I missed something?
It is Fatal not Fata.
Based on the picture below, it appears that I am an administrator for the PC. Am I interpreting the picture incorrectly? Am I looking in the wrong place?
Try checking in Explorer - right-click on your C:\ drive and select "Security" - make sure you have Full Control (you probably don't - ever since Vista, MS has been protecting Admin users from themselves).
I am a member of the administrators group as shown in the earlier picture.
The adminstrators group has full rights as shown in the picture below.
I talked with IT and they confirmed I have full rights.
This is so frustrating because there were no problems the last time the projects were compiled.
Ok, so when did it last work? You could always try a System Restore to around that point & see if that frees it up. Or find another machine like yours and install your second license copy on it to try out.
The project was last compiled in October 2012.
A System Restore to that point isn't really feasible. I can only imagine all the other items that would then be broken.
I tried compiling on another computer last week. Same problem. The second computer is almost identical to the one I am using. The person who tried has the same administrator rights.
Sorry to hear that - maybe the only way forward is to try out a copy RH10 on the other machine with a copy of the project?
Or disconnect from the network, turn off all anti-virus software and see if that has any impact - grasping at straws here...
Off the network and disabled anti-virus. No luck.
There's no money for an upgrade to RH10. So even trying a trial copy is not worth the effort.
Any more straws to grasp????
I can install it on my home computer.
I will try this tomorrow morning.
I won't be able to reply until Monday April 15, 2013.
So please stay connected to this thread and I will send an update on Monday.
Thanks to both of you for all your help.
Please re-register jscript.dll
- Right click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
- Navigate to:
[Windows\System32] for 32-bit OS or
[Windows\SysWOW64] for 64-bit OS
3. Type "regsvr32 jscript.dll."
Hope this will solve your problem.
First, my thanks to everyone who has helped with the issue.
I also had some help from Vikas and Mohd. at Adobe after posting a bug report. My thanks to them for responding also.
I did try using RH on my home computer as noted earlier. The problem did not exist there.
The fix provided by moszapy1 solved the problem. The same fix was provided by Adobe also.
Thanks again to everyone for helping.