Exit

RoboHelp 9 Will Not Compile Web Help

Apr 09, 2013 Apr 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 Professional 640-bit

Microsoft Office 2010

RH 9.0.2.271

I have several projects for which I compile Web help.

Compiling the projects has been no problem in the past.

I have made no known changes to the computer or user rights.

Now, RH stops responding when the compile starts. The stop is very early in the process.

I can compile CHM files.

In Output View, I see the following message:

Initializing complier

Generating Webhelp 5.50 (9.0.0.228)…

Error: Can not register active script for language javascript

Template Error: can not resolve macro: RegisterResolvers

Fata Error: Cannot run macro: Register Resolvers in compilation.

RoboHelpError.png

While searching for an answer, I tried the following without success:

Note: I am an administrator on the computer. I have always been an admin on the computer.

I have not uninstalled/reinstalled RH so there should be no issues with administrator privileges.

I ran the RH executable as an administrator using a variety of methods like right-click RoboHTML.exe and click Run as Administrator.

Project is on local drive.

Created a new project.

Compiled the sample projects contained in RH.

Created a new SSL.

Create a new target folder for the output.

Copy the LNG file from the "!Language\<current-project-language>" folder to the project folder.

From the project settings dialog, change the project language to a different language, and then change it back to the current language.

Deleted CPD file.

Deleted !Language! folder.

Word macro security is Enable all macros.

Can anyone help me find something I have not tried.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, are you saying that you tried generating WebHelp for one of the sample projects and it failed too? If so, then something is either damaged in your install of RH or some Windows security update has tightened up your JavaScript settings. If not, then it's got to be something in the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Yes. I did try to compile WebHelp using one of the sample projects.

I have successfully created WebHelp in the past using my same projects. One troubled project was compiled successfully in October 2012.

I have changed nothing about the RH install.

Any idea what Windows security update might be at fault? Any idea how to determine if this is the case? Any ideas how to solve the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, if none of the projects work then it's got to be either the RH install or your environment. I'd first try the RH install - deactivate, uninstall, reinstall, reactivate - then test again with the sample projects. Still failing? Check your environment - got an IT department? Windows installed any changes since it last worked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

By the way, thanks for trying to help.

What do you mean by deactivate? How do I do that?

I can handle the uninstall, reinstall, reactivate.

As for my environment, what should I check assuming the reinstall doesn't work?

I do have an IT department. They have little or no RH knowledge.

There have been numerous Windows changes (updates) installed since the projects last worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deactivate is the first step - go into RH > Help menu, you should see Deactivate as an option. Some volume licensing installs don't have it, I seem to remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope Jeff won't mind me adding that if you have the Technical Communications Suite installed the Help > Deactivate menu item in RoboHelp is sometimes unavailable as he says. However if you open either FrameMaker or Captivate the option should be available from the Help menu there. This deactivates the entire suite for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff and RoboColum(n),

Found the Deactivate command. Working on the uninstall/reinstall.

Please stand by. I'll let you know how it goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I performed the following steps:

Suspended activation

Uninstalled

Restarted

Installed

Checked for and installed updates (version is still 9.0.2.271)

Restarted

Opened and compiled a sample project.

The error is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this sounds like an environment issue - give Adobe Support a call - they may be able to get on your system and tell you what's happening that's preventing JavaScript from running the way it wants.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I have often found that Deactivate becomes enabled if you wait a while after opening.

Search on these two lines from your first post.

Template Error: can not resolve macro: RegisterResolvers

Fata Error: Cannot run macro: Register Resolvers in compilation.

(Was it really Fata rather then Fatal?)

Maybe you haven't changed rights but have IT done so without your knowledge?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thanks for joining. Good to hear from you again.

I searched for the two lines you noted before my initial post. I searched through Google and through the Adobe forums. I tried all the suggestions in the posts that I found. Have I missed something?

It is Fatal not Fata.

Based on the picture below, it appears that I am an administrator for the PC. Am I interpreting the picture incorrectly? Am I looking in the wrong place?

RoboHelpAdmin.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try checking in Explorer - right-click on your C:\ drive and select "Security" - make sure you have Full Control (you probably don't - ever since Vista, MS has been protecting Admin users from themselves).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I am a member of the administrators group as shown in the earlier picture.

The adminstrators group has full rights as shown in the picture below.

I talked with IT and they confirmed I have full rights.

What's next?

This is so frustrating because there were no problems the last time the projects were compiled.

RoboHelpAdmin1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so when did it last work? You could always try a System Restore to around that point & see if that frees it up. Or find another machine like yours and install your second license copy on it to try out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

The project was last compiled in October 2012.

A System Restore to that point isn't really feasible. I can only imagine all the other items that would then be broken.

I tried compiling on another computer last week. Same problem. The second computer is almost identical to the one I am using. The person who tried has the same administrator rights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that - maybe the only way forward is to try out a copy RH10 on the other machine with a copy of the project?

Or disconnect from the network, turn off all anti-virus software and see if that has any impact - grasping at straws here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

Off the network and disabled anti-virus. No luck.

There's no money for an upgrade to RH10. So even trying a trial copy is not worth the effort.

Any more straws to grasp????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I can install it on my home computer.

I will try this tomorrow morning.

I won't be able to reply until Monday April 15, 2013.

So please stay connected to this thread and I will send an update on Monday.

Thanks to both of you for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please re-register jscript.dll

1. Right click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  2. Navigate to:

[Windows\System32]   for 32-bit OS or

[Windows\SysWOW64] for 64-bit OS

3. Type "regsvr32 jscript.dll."

Hope this will solve your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 15, 2013 Apr 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

moszapy1,

First, my thanks to everyone who has helped with the issue.

I also had some help from Vikas and Mohd. at Adobe after posting a bug report. My thanks to them for responding also.

I did try using RH on my home computer as noted earlier. The problem did not exist there.

The fix provided by moszapy1 solved the problem. The same fix was provided by Adobe also.

Thanks again to everyone for helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you install Rh on a machine outside the office. It doesn't matter if you have already used your two licences, install it in trial mode.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp