12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 7:28 AM by Harm Millaard

Secondary Drive

karineaddi

I have a large hard drive on my computer but I only have one.  I wanted to know if I could use the same hard drive to put my video as I put my project?  All external drives are 5400 rpm.  Would that work?

• 1. Re: Secondary Drive
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can try it, but if it works you won't be happy with how slow it will be.

What are your computer specs and what is your source material?

• 2. Re: Secondary Drive
            karineaddi Level 1

I have Intel core i5-3330 CPU @ 3.00 GHz.  8 GB RAM.  1tb hard drive.  Is it better to use an external drive 5400 rpm?

• 3. Re: Secondary Drive
              Jeff Bellune Level 6

[moved to hardware forum]

• 4. Re: Secondary Drive
                Harm Millaard Level 7

It is better to have three 7200 RPM internal disks or more.

• 5. Re: Secondary Drive
                  karineaddi Level 1

I just opened my computer and it looks like there is a slot for another drive put there is only one.  What size drive do you recommand I add?  I have SATA.

• 6. Re: Secondary Drive
                    karineaddi Level 1

Which company makes good drives - seagate, western digital?

• 7. Re: Secondary Drive
                      JFPhoton Level 3

.....it would serve you well to read as much as you can on this forum to learn what hardware may work well.....and what hardware will compel you to seek asylum on the International Space Station.......where you can gain more lifespan...travelling nearer the speed of light. Extra lifespan that you will need, because by the time your machine finishes rendering an HD video....we will be into the NEXT MILLENIUM !!!!!!

Generally, you will not have fun unless you have a : fast i7 CPU with hyper threading....an NVidia CUDA graphics card with at least 1 GB of DDR5 video memory....minimum TWO, 7200RPM HDDs and AT LEAST 16 GB system memory, ( 32 or 64 way better).

The material,( codecs) you are working with also determine how strong your machine needs to be ......pro-sumer cameras like Canon DSLRs and similar, often produce the MOST DIFFICULT codecs for the computer to handle, because of the high degree of compression and "long GOP",( group of pictures) structure. Adding  a single, 7200rpm HDD for your media MAY help a little...but, that's like replacing a riding lawnmower with a Ford Pinto when you are preparing to race in the Indy 500 !!!....

• 8. Re: Secondary Drive
                        karineaddi Level 1

This is not good.  I upgraded to this computer from a very old computer that was running adobe premiere 6.5 with a matrox card.  I've made plenty of videos with this machine.  I thought that once I got a faster machine, I wouldn't need a card but I guess I'm wrong.  With what I have, what is the minimum I can upgrade to to get this working reasonably.  I have the Lenovo H430 C15.  Should I upgrade my RAM?  Previously it  would take me all night to render my videos  so I'm used to that.  I'm new to the adobe premiere pro cs6 so I'm scared to start without descent hardware.  I'm expecting to receive the other drive tomorrow and really need to start on this video very soon.

• 9. Re: Secondary Drive
                          Alan Craven Level 4

To give a full answer to your question, "what is the minimum I can upgrade to to get this working reasonably" we need to know more about the type of video you wish to edit, the complexity of your expected sequences (how many layers of video), and your existing hardware.

If you add a second internal 7200 rpm drive, and put all your media files on that, keeping just Project files on your system drive, you will make a good start.  Increasing your RAM to 16 GB will be a good second step.  If your graphics card is not a recent Nvidia model with at least 1 GB of RAM, you also need to change this to take full advantage of the Mercury engine.  With your system, buying one of the expensive Adobe certified cards would be a waste of money.  Buy a GTX550 or 560 with at least 1 GB of RAM and use the well-known "hack" to make Premiere use it for Mercury.

Many of the people who post on this forum advocating super-powerful systems are professionals, for whom time is money.  You can edit successfully with far lower powered systems, but you will have to wait for renders, exports etc.  This may increase your coffee consumption, but it will not reduce the quality of your video productions.  Beware though of the other extreme - the minimum specification quoted by Adobe will enable Premiere to stagger rather than to run - Adobe are by no means alone in this practice!

The real insurmountable (at reasonable cost) weakness of your system is the i5 processor - Premiere CS6 really needs a decent i7 processor with hyperthreading.

I edit successfully when i am away from home using a 1.8 GHz i7 laptop with a single internal 7200 rpm drive and an external eSATA connected 7200 rpm drive for all my media files.  I am using 25 gbs AVCHD media files, but have only a single layer of video and limited applied effects.  I can play the timeline smoothly, but often have to render to get acceptable playback of areas with much in the way of applied effects.

I always use DIY external drives, using an IcyBox housing and fast 7200 rpm drives - many commercially available external drives have cheap, slow 5400 rpm drives, and are suitable only for backup purposes.

• 10. Re: Secondary Drive
                            karineaddi Level 1

I don't think my videos are too complex.  Probably two maybe three layer not including a title.  Is that a lot?

• 11. Re: Secondary Drive
                              karineaddi Level 1

Just checked on my computer and it looks like I can't upgrade the RAM.  Is it still worth getting the video card?

• 12. Re: Secondary Drive
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

That is not too difficult. What decides responsiveness is the codec of the source material, the more difficult it is, the more logical cores you need, the more plug-ins like Magic Bullet you use, the more you profit from overclocking, the more you export to DVD or Web, the more you benefit from a good video card, the more you export to BDR, the more you profit from memory and L3 cache. There is no clear-cut answer without knowing what material you ingest, what your editing flow or thruput is, and what format your output will be. Have a look here What PC to Build. An update...

To put it another way, these are the basic steps,

Editing impact.png

It depends on the complexity of any of these three components, that decide what your optimal hardware would be.

Without knowing this in detail, there is no clear-cut answer for you.