4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 10:07 AM by Tommyvincent

Pixelation occurs when I use the Adjust panel

Tommyvincent Level 1

In previous posts on this discussion forum I asked for help in getting clean, non-pixelated clips into my timeline. I finally was able to do this by changing the project settings each time I added media. It's ridiculous, though, having to change the presets each time I add media. This is from the Adobe Premiere Elements Help and Tutorial (PrE11) that I have on my computer:

"By default, Premiere Elements uses an AVCHD preset for the TV standard you specify when you install the program. Select a new preset to create projects in a different format. The preset you select becomes the default, which is used for all new projects, until you select another preset."

And here's what Chad Perkins says in Chapter three of Learning by Video:

"PrE 11 will automatically look and examine your footage and make the project settings based on that footage - a very automated process that makes setting up video projects so much easier than previous versions of Premiere Elements."

Evidently PrE 11 is not responding in an automated way to my Canon FS200 Flash Memory camcorder. Each time I import footage I have to change the new project settings back from NTSC-AVCHD Full HD 1080i 30 to Hard Disk Flash Memory Standard 48 kHz.

Anyway, after doing all this, I finally got two 4 minute videos that look clean and sound clean. One video I made in English and the other in Spanish. (Opening and closing titles, one still graphic, and ten clips) The clips, a talking head against a white background, seem just a little dark. I tried to lighten up one clip with the Gamma Correction and it looked perfect in the monitor. But when I looked at my first clip on the timeline, I saw that same unacceptable pixelation!

Trimming the clips was no problem - even fun. But why do I get that pixelatiion when I try to lighten up the clips? My simple editing tasks should be a straightforward task with no problems. I'm not editing The Life of Pi.

• 1. Re: Pixelation occurs when I use the Adjust panel
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is your original footage MOV files? Because MOVs can include any of hundreds of codecs, Premiere Elements can sometimes have trouble identifying the file's properties and automatically setting up your project. But, if you connect your camcorder to your computer with a USB cable and use Premeire Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera tools to get the video from the camcorder to your computer, this is usually not the case.

Did you use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera to get the video from your cam to your computer?

As for your pixelation, have you rendered the timeline (by pressing Enter)? If there are yellow lines above the clips on your timeline in Expert view, you care looking at a soft render, which can look pixelated. Rendering your timeline will create a temporary video file that will better represent what your final output will look like.

Much of this is covered in my books and in my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials. Have you checked out these tutorials yet?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Pixelation occurs when I use the Adjust panel
            Tommyvincent Level 1

"Did you use Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera to get the video from your cam to your computer?"

Here's what I think I did:

1. I accessed PrE 11 and clicked on New/Project. I changed the default setting from NTSC-AVCHD-Full HD to Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorder, Standard 48kHz. (I'm not using wide screen for my two videos.)

2. I connected my Canon FS200 camcorder to my computer via USB 2.0 port.

3. Two screens immediately popped up when I turned on my camcorder - Elements Organizer, Photo Downloader and Image Mixer 3 Launcher with a "Save Files to PC" option. I clicked this.

4. I then clicked Add Media and Files and Folders (PrE) from where I got my clips located on the hard drive.

Would you give me a quick step-by-step way to capture my video the right way and thereby possibly avoiding all the problems I'm now having. My computer also has a memory card reader. Would inserting the mem card be a better option?

I have a powerful HP computer with Windows 7. I'm thinking about getting an even more powerful computer and a new AVCHD camcorder. This might solve some of my problems.

When I right clicked a clip on my timeline and clicked Show Properties, I saw - Type: MPEG Movie. Is there a sure way to tell if these clips are indeed MOV files?

I registered on your website but could not find your 8-part basic training tutorials. I watched your Premiere Elements Promo Video though. It reminded me of my teenage years when I rode my bicycle almost every night from Glendale to a little movie theater several miles east of downtown Hollywood to see an Italian movie festival. The Bicycle Thief and La Strada after all these years are still in my memory - great films.

• 3. Re: Pixelation occurs when I use the Adjust panel
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

To see the 8 part tutorial series, just click on the link in my previous post.

Part 2 of the series shows you how to get video from a camcorder to your computer.

The video from that camcorder should be .mpgs, not .movs.

• 4. Re: Pixelation occurs when I use the Adjust panel
                Tommyvincent Level 1

I found the tutorial and I think the series will help me solve the problem. But what I found in the three parts I looked at is the same pixelation (double image too) as I see in my clips when I try to lighten them. Could this be something at fault with my computer?

When I'm watching the tutorials, how can I close them in order to get back to the main page?

I'm going to do as you suggested and make a separate folder (My Videos) for my clips.