9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2014 12:31 PM by Peter Spier

Content won't allow me to select or delete

linziloop Level 1

On Mac OSX 10.6.8, using InDesign CS6

I have an item on a page that no matter what, will not let me select or delete it. I have tried:

• Overiding all master page items
      • Applying no master page to the page
      • Checking that all items on the spread are unlocked
      • Checking all layers are unlocked
      • Copying the content, deleting the page, re-inserting a new page. At this point (before I paste the copied content back on), the pesky web address shows already.

It's just a simple text box with a web address in, it is on other pages as a master page item, but I need to delete it from this one page. I have needed to do the exact same thing on other pages in the document and simply overiding master page items has worked. There is something about this page/this item which is being stubborn and I can't for the life of me figure it out. Any ideas?!

I have even tried putting a white box over it to hide it, but it sits above all else

I have upgraded from CS5 to CS6 yesterday, so I don't know if this could be related?

Any help much appreciated as this is a document which needs to go to print today.

• 1. Re: Content won't allow me to select or delete
          AMreso Level 4

Try moving pages to new document and see it works.If not than try reseting the preferences of indesign.

There is a quick and easy method for doing this using the keyboard: close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences.

• 2. Re: Content won't allow me to select or delete
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The object may be locked. In CS6 (and going back as far as CS5 if I remember correctly), the default option is to prevent selection of locked objects. You can change that in the prefs, or you can unlock the object if it actually is locked. There shold be a lock icon that shows onthe frmae near the upper left corner when you hover over it, but I find it's easier to open the layers panel and expand the layers to find locked objects.

It also sounds like there is more than one layer in the file and that this frame is on a higher level than the one on which you are working. Again, the layers panel is where to go to find out.

• 3. Re: Content won't allow me to select or delete
              spitfire1941

Hi Linziloop,

So weird. I just found an answer to your question. I had the exact same problem and I followed AMreso's suggestion, even though I wasn't wild about deleting my general app prefs :-(.  After I did so, I still had the same problem. But then I went into my prefs and lo-and-behold on the first (General Prefs) panel, I see the checkbox option that says: Prevent Selection of Locked Objects, and noticed that the box was checked. So I unchecked the box, and suddenly ID can both select and delete the previously un-touchable text box. What a funny serendipitous chain of events, huh? The weird thing is, I still have no idea how or why the offending text box became locked in the first place. I really have no idea, especially since this happened twice for the very same text box! Anyhow, this seems to have solved the problem for now. Of course, it may revert to un-touchable in the very next moment. But I'm enjoying the success of the moment.

• 4. Re: Content won't allow me to select or delete

spitfire1941 wrote:

I still have no idea how or why the offending text box became locked in the first place. I really have no idea, especially since this happened twice for the very same text box!

It's checked by default (STUPID choice, Adobe), so you have to uncheck it when you set up the program.

• 6. Re: Re: Content won't allow me to select or delete
                  spitfire1941 Level 1

Peter, Good point. What I meant, though, is that I can't figure out why the offending text box, the one that got frozen to the point where I couldn't select it, got locked. As far as I know, I didn't take any action to lock the text box. So I was quite surprised when it did get locked. Do you have any idea how a text box would accidentally get locked?

• 7. Re: Re: Content won't allow me to select or delete

Accidentally pressing the keyboard shortcut to lock with it selected, or accidentally clicking in the lock column in the Layers panel are the two things that come to mind.

• 8. Re: Re: Content won't allow me to select or delete
                      SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Command-L locks items.

--for me, not selecting locked items makes perfect sense, and it's usually why I lock things. No matter which way the default was set, there will be some people who think it was the wrong choice.

• 9. Re: Re: Content won't allow me to select or delete

I'm not going to tell anyone what their preference should be, but here's a little history lesson, if you like, on why things are as they are today...

Once upon a time, before CS5, selection of locked objects was permitted, and there was no way to prevent it. Locking an object fixed its size and shape in your layout, but left it editable. This was wonderful for things like templates or other files you might share that needed to have a fixed layout, but variable content.

When I joined the pre-release team for CS5 I started by trying the new beta version on some files I'd been using for years, to see if anything was broken. To my horror I found I could no longer edit my templates without first unlocking the frames. I complained, and the current compromise situation of adding a user preference was born.

To my mind, if you don't want to have an object selectable at all, it should be on a locked layer, but leave me the ability to lock position on text frames and add or change the text later. This may be my prejudice from have come up from the early days of ID when that's how things worked, and new users who never knew the tradition meaning of locked (I have no idea how long SRiegel has been a user) may disagree, but I couldn't work without position-locked-but-editable frames.