7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2013 6:51 AM by whsprague

1080P50 Presets: YES, 1080P50 Editing: YES, 1080P50 Output: NO WAY!!

Rob van Huizen Wijchen

To bring the quality of my video's to a higher level I bought a Panasonic camera which generates AVCHD clips in the PAL 1080P50 quality.

I bought Premiere Elements 11 because according the specs it could handle this format.

And yes, after downloading some additional preset files, because the presets for the Dutch version of the product were not complete, I can choose the preset PAL AVCHD 1080P50 for new projects. I can load clips in the 1080P50 format and I can edit the project in this quality.

Sounds all great but while creating a AVCHD-DVD I learned the maximum quality of the output of this product (PE11 ) is a disappointing 1080i25.

Consulting the Adobe Service center I learned this was indeed the maximum output quality, even for output to BLU-ray discs.

I got from them a URL where I should be able to fill a "wishlist" so it might be on the next version. I could not post this list because no new "wishlist"users were accepted............

Is there anybody who has encountered the same problem and has solved it?

Kind regards,

Rob

• 1. Re: 1080P50 Presets: YES, 1080P50 Editing: YES, 1080P50 Output: NO WAY!!
          whsprague Level 4

Rob van Huizen Wijchen wrote:

..... but while creating a AVCHD-DVD I learned the maximum quality of the output of this product (PE11 ) is a disappointing 1080i25.

Consulting the Adobe Service center I learned this was indeed the maximum output quality, even for output to BLU-ray discs.

Is there anybody who has encountered the same problem and has solved it?

Kind regards,

Rob

Rob,

You are blaming Adobe for something that is not their fault.

As I understand it, Sony and Panasonic own and control the Blu-Ray and AVCHD copywrites.  Adobe does not.  Therefore, Premier Elements can only output to Blu-Ray and AVCHD Disks by the specifications.  I think Adobe even has to pay for the right to include it in your software.

Premier Elements will let you set the output frame rate to a variety of choices and allow you to save your own preset in the process.  I use 59.97, but 50 is available.  I circled the necessary choices in the screen shots below.

Unfortunately, perfectly "lossless" editing is elusive when editing.  To incorporate creative additions, titles, adjustments or effects to any video it has to be processed somehow.   One rare exception is the software that comes with 700 and 900 series Panasonic camcorders.  It is PC only and called HDWriter.  It does little in the way of effects, transitions and adjustments, but it will create "lossless" quality video files.  Since it is owned by Panasonic, HDWriter will also make the highest quality Blu-Rays and AVCHD Disks allowed.

Making lossless video files is only half the battle.  "Pure" 1080p50/60 files don't play on everything.  Later model Blu-Ray players frequently can, especially if they are made by Panasonic or Sony.  I have less luck with Samsung.  Puting a "pure" file on DVD, SD Card or Thumbdrive as a data file will play, depending on the Blu-Ray player.  The most reliable way that I've found to play "pure" 1080p50/60 files on a TV is with WD TV Live media player. 

Bill

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 1080P50 Presets: YES, 1080P50 Editing: YES, 1080P50 Output: NO WAY!!
            Rob van Huizen Wijchen Level 1

Bill,

thank you for your explanations. Now I have some handles to start experimenting to get optimal output.

My Yamaha Blu-ray player can handle the 1080p50 format. Also my television is capable to process that quality.

So I got "a bit" frustrated when I found out this format was not on the standard output preset list of Premiere Elements 11.

The HDWiter which was coming with my Panasonic camera has indeed no problem with creating AVCHD-DVD's on 1080p50 format. But the editing functionality of this HDWriter tool is still in the "stone-age" compared to the possibilities PE 11 has.

Rob

• 3. Re: 1080P50 Presets: YES, 1080P50 Editing: YES, 1080P50 Output: NO WAY!!
              whsprague Level 4

Rob van Huizen Wijchen wrote:

The HDWiter which was coming with my Panasonic camera has indeed no problem with creating AVCHD-DVD's on 1080p50 format. But the editing functionality of this HDWriter tool is still in the "stone-age" compared to the possibilities PE 11 has.

Rob

"stone age"?  Not really.  What is unique about HDWriter is that it is lossless.  The output of each frame is 100% the same as the original.  So, if a person wants "perfect", HDWriter is a great choice.   Since the goal is "lossless", effects, adjustements, etc have to be minimal.

On the other hand, to have all the creative options, orginals have to be re-encoded, rendered, transcoded or whatever an it will be "lossy".  The new frames will not be a direct match to the orginal frames.

Another benefit of HDWriter is that it can run well on lesser computers because it is making copies instead of rendering new frames. 

In two years of reading about the "lossless" editing goal, there are very few programs that can do it.  PrE11 can output 60fps video from an AVCHD source, but the frames are rendered and "lossy".

As a Panasonic camcorder customer with Adobe Premeier Elements, I have my choice depending on what I want to accomplish.

• 4. Re: 1080P50 Presets: YES, 1080P50 Editing: YES, 1080P50 Output: NO WAY!!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Bill,

It probably will not help, but that depends on your delivery, however, have you looked into either Lagarith, or UT Lossless, which gets wrapped as an AVI? Those will get you visually lossless output - BUT, depending on one's delivery scheme, those might be useless.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: 1080P50 Presets: YES, 1080P50 Editing: YES, 1080P50 Output: NO WAY!!
                  whsprague Level 4

Bill Hunt wrote:

Bill,

It probably will not help, but that depends on your delivery, however, have you looked into either Lagarith, or UT Lossless, which gets wrapped as an AVI? Those will get you visually lossless output - BUT, depending on one's delivery scheme, those might be useless.

Good luck,

Hunt

Bill,

You helped me with that a month or so ago.  I downloaded and installed it.  My intent was to use it when I wanted to move the results of one project into another.  I've not needed yet, but it is ready to go when I do.

Thanks.

Bill

• 6. Re: 1080P50 Presets: YES, 1080P50 Editing: YES, 1080P50 Output: NO WAY!!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the Lagarith and UT Lossless CODEC's are great for intermediate files, where one has to round-trip Projects, say to After Effects, and back, for additional editing.

As a delivery format/CODEC, however, they require that the recipient have those CODEC's (both free) installed. For DVD, BD AVCHD Disc, YouTube, Vimeo, etc., they are not any help.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: 1080P50 Presets: YES, 1080P50 Editing: YES, 1080P50 Output: NO WAY!!
                      whsprague Level 4

Bill Hunt wrote:

.....where one has to round-trip Projects, say to After Effects, and back, for additional editing....

Hunt

I only dream about software like After Effects.