4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2013 3:03 PM by ifa3falls

Can't get SmartSound to work with Premiere Elements 11

ifa3falls

I recognize that several questions about SmartSound have been raised here, but I can't find an answer that responds to my specific issues, which are:

• I can't get a serial number for SmartSound -- yes, I see a button to click for this during the set-up within Premiere Elements, but when I do, I am sent to a web page with this error message:  "Error: No such CGI app - /var/www/ci/ss_ci/trunk/public_html/backend/dispatch.pl may not exist or is not executable by this process." 
      • No doubt related, as this program might not be set up completely, but while I can access the "use SmartSound" link under Music, and from there, see the box for SonicFire Pro 5 (which I gather is the same as the older Quicktracks?), I can't Send, Export, drag or otherwise get any sound fies back into Premiere Elements. (When I click Send, nothing happens.)
      • I've gone to the SmartSound webpage, but haven't found any links that explain what's up -- or even mention it as a free plug-in for Elements. All I've found are the full-priced versions of their programs.
      • I've also uninstalled and reinstalled SmartSound, using the file from the link on the Adobe site, which Premiere Elements directs me to -- but have been unable to get past that Error - No such CGI, etc.(I've also searched for that message, but didn't find anything I could understand.)

As background, I am working through Steve Grisetti's tutorial for Premiere Elements 11 on Lynda. com, but I'm stalled at #5, Audio and Production Tools...

Any help welcome!

Shelley

• 1. Re: Can't get SmartSound to work with Premiere Elements 11
          whsprague Level 4

I got stuck too.  I messed with it on and off for days.

The problem is that a "patch" from SmartSound, not Adobe, is needed to fix it.  I found a link for e-mail to SmartSound support and complained I could not get it to work.  Within hours they emailed me back with a link to the patch.  I downloaded it, ran it and all worked exactly like Steve said.  Before the patch, I could get nothing to work right.

That said, I don't find the built in SmartSound very effective for me.  It works well, as Steve shows, but I only like a track or two.  Once working you can buy more tracks but they are $50! 

The key advantages to SmartSound is that it is music made to be in the background of a video and it can be created to any length.  SmartSound recently added those capabilities to Vimeo where the tracks are $2.  I used a Vimeo/SmartSound track last week with a Hawaii theme for a vacation video.  It worked wonderfully well.

Instead of using the SmartSound button in PrE, go to vimeo, select a track, download it to your computer, put it into the project exactly like you add video media from your HDD, drag it to your timeline and adjust the volume.  I prefer to put it on Audio 2.

There are a growing number of music track sources where you can get royalty free clips for free on up.  They can all be downloaded and used through "Add Media".  I'm developing the side hobby of collecting and creating sound clips!  I have things like traffic, babbling brooks and rain.  Some are downloaded.  A few are recorded with my camcorder.  I unlink the video track and save the sound track.

Unless Adobe and SmartSound adjust the way it works inside PrE, I think you are much better off doing it the alternate way.

Bill

• 2. Re: Can't get SmartSound to work with Premiere Elements 11
            ifa3falls Level 1

Thanks so much for your post on this, here and in the other thread, Bill.

The link that worked for me for the patch differs a bit from what you posted... I found the updater for SonicFirePro near the bottom of the page at http://www.smartsound.com/support/updates?product=sfp5.  (The patch was version 5.7.5). And yes, once installed, SmartSound seems to do what it's apparently supposed to do, so I'm happy and can move on with the tutorial... (Be good if Adobe updated the zip file on their site, though.)

And thanks, too, for the Vimeo music suggestion. That looks very reasonable, and I'm looking forward to trying that.

Yes. Thanks!!!

Shelley 

• 3. Re: Can't get SmartSound to work with Premiere Elements 11
              whsprague Level 4

ifa3falls wrote:

(Be good if Adobe updated the zip file on their site, though.)

They should.  But, my thinking is a little different.  Unless Adobe and SmartSound can get together to provide links to $2 tracks like at Vimeo, it would be better to drop the SmartSound feature entirely.  I certainly have decided to ignore it.  Since all the other amazing audio controls work so well, I am not at all disappointed.  I suspect this is not a technical issue.  It looks a lot more like marketing and legal relationships.

Are you enjoying the learning from Steve?

• 4. Re: Can't get SmartSound to work with Premiere Elements 11
                ifa3falls Level 1

Yes, the course is great. Thanks!