7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2007 11:40 AM by Rothrock

Flash CS3 with AS3 Button Sound Bug

aboushley
      Using Flash CS3 with AS3. The sound added to the over state of a button plays both on the over state and the down state.

Try this simple trial.

1. Draw a rectangle
      2. Convert to button
      3. Double click on button and add key frames for over/down/hit states
      4. Select the over state
      5. File > Import > To Library > Then browse to a test sound
      6. Drag the sound onto the stage to add to over state

If you are using Flash CS3 with Action Script 3 and you test this file the sound will play on the over state and then replay on the down state. This should not happen and I don't know what to do to fix it.

Please HELP!

Thank you for your time.
        • 1. Re: Flash CS3 with AS3 Button Sound Bug
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          use a movieclip.
          • 2. Re: Flash CS3 with AS3 Button Sound Bug
            aboushley Level 1
            Sure. But that's not the point.

A standard button should work like it is supposed to. That's like saying since Flash doesn't work lets use SilverLight.

For beginners like me that know little Action Script the basic button is a must have. And it should function the way it is supposed to.
            • 3. Re: Flash CS3 with AS3 Button Sound Bug
              ok, i'm sorry it does that.
              • 4. Re: Flash CS3 with AS3 Button Sound Bug
                Rothrock Level 5
                Beginners really need to know that some things work the way they work and that is really all there is to it. There is a wishlist link somewhere to report bugs and all to Adobe, but in general I wouldn't hold out any hope for this getting fixed.

I can also tell you that most of us non-beginners almost never use buttons. When they added the button-like methods to the MovieClip class (I think it was in Flash 6) most of us stopped using buttons because they do a bunch of weird things.
                • 5. Re: Flash CS3 with AS3 Button Sound Bug
                  aboushley Level 1
                  I don't think this is some special feature that I am asking about. This is standard use that doesn't work. If you add a sound in the over state of a button you expect it to play in the over state and that's it. Not replay on the down state too.

I don't know enough about Action Script to answer this but this may effect buttons made from MC's as well.
                  • 6. Re: Flash CS3 with AS3 Button Sound Bug
                    i was surprised you could even add sound to a button (and movieclip) frame in as3.

adding sound to a timeline is a legacy from before flash 5 and as metioned by rr, by the time flash 6 arrived no experienced actionscripters continued to use buttons and by flash 8 using a sound attached to a timeline was strictly a novice solution.

that you can attach sound to a button frame or movieclip frame in as3 is probably an over-sight on adobe's part.
                    • 7. Re: Flash CS3 with AS3 Button Sound Bug
                      Rothrock Level 5
                      cabtw - You are correct it probably should be different, but it isn't. And sometimes you just have to recite that old prayer, "...grant me the strength to accept the things that I can't change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

The way that maybe should work doesn't. You've got two of the most senior folks on these boards willing to help you with a way that is much better (really). Take advantage of it! Instead of back and forth about how it should work (it doesn't) let's focus on building a solution.

So exactly which part are you hung up on?