4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2013 9:01 AM by ECBowen

need some help HP Z820 workstation configuration nvidia Quadro6000 6gb

mrsun28

Hey guys,

One year ago i was lucky enought  to buy a z800 workstation with a high end configuration for a very good price   in an auction site...  it happened to be a faulty  computer, so now HP has offered  me the follow  upgraded new  machine  for me.. ( . im not quiet sure if its a good  idea  to keep it like that  or ask hp  to  change some specifications.... like..  can i really use 2 Nvidia 

Qadro6000 or should i swap for Tesla C2075...? storage... etc...

i use it for Adobe master suite, Premiere and After Effects mostly

HP Z820 Workstation

QG255AV

HP Single Unit Packaging

QG197AV

HP Z820 1125W 90% Efficient Chassis

LJ456AV#ABG

HP Z820 Country Kit

QG151AV

HP windows 7

QG152AV

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Desktop (1yr Paper License) OS

A2A38AV

Intel Xeon E5-2665 2.40Ghz 20MB 1600 8C 1st CPU

A2A52AV

Intel Xeon E5-2665 2.40Ghz 20MB 1600 8C 2nd CPU

QG288AV

HP Liquid Cooling Solution

QG281AV

96GB DDR3-1600 (8x8GB+8x4GB) 2CPU Reg RAM

QJ694AV

160GB SATA 1st Solid State Drive

QJ705AV

600GB 15k RPM SAS 2nd Hard Drive

QJ717AV

600GB 15k RPM SAS 3rd Hard Drive

QJ729AV

600GB 15k RPM SAS 4th Hard Drive

QG219AV

NVIDIA Quadro 6000 6GB Graphics

QG233AV

NVIDIA Quadro 6000 6GB 2nd Graphics

QG237AV

NVIDIA SLI Graphics Connector

QG096AV#ABG

HP USB Standard Keyboard

QG240AV

Broadcom 5761 Gigabit PCIe NIC

QG245AV

HP USB Laser Scroll Mouse

QG250AV

16X SuperMulti DVDRW SATA 1st ODD

B2L51AV#AB4

HP 3/3/3 Warranty

thanks guys....

• 1. Re: need some help HP Z820 workstation configuration nvidia Quadro6000 6gb
          Harm Millaard Level 7

If it is below $ 5000, it might be a good deal, but I would use a Tesla C2075 instead of two 6000's. You will end up with a system that is a good median, maybe even upper quartile performer.

• 2. Re: need some help HP Z820 workstation configuration nvidia Quadro6000 6gb
            mrsun28 Level 1

Hey Harm,

under  $5000? it actually cost 10k (in Australia)

refund is an option too...

i thought it  was a good price... i might be able  to change   the quadro and  get a better processor

what do u know about those  15k  hard drive?

• 3. Re: need some help HP Z820 workstation configuration nvidia Quadro6000 6gb
              Harm Millaard Level 7

What also drives up the price is the 96 GB. Unless you are a very heavy AE user, 64 GB would be more than enough. PR rarely uses up to 32 GB, but AE gobbles up whatever it finds available.

The 15K disks are nice but pricey. They are still the fastest mechanical disks available. If the space is sufficient for you, I would keep them. If you need more space, you need to get an extra disk box anyway.

See my remark about price as a sarcastic shove. There is no doubt that the HP Z820 is a great machine and with the components in there, it will be a very reliable workhorse, but my problem with these machines is their price/performance ratio. The issue with these machines is that they cost far more than a DIY single CPU system but deliver less performance, despite the premium price. To illustrate this point, see Bechmark Results Table. Note you have to be registered and logged in to gain access to this table. There is a dual E5-2650 system that comes out at rank # 78 out of 158.

I know that to get a HP Z820 that is about comparable to my own system would set me back around $ 25 K  and that I consider extreme for a hobbyist. Note I don't have a boss to pick up the tab.

The HP Z820 is a superb machine, a real professional workstation and if you can afford it, go for it.

Noah's Ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic was built by professionals.
              • 4. Re: need some help HP Z820 workstation configuration nvidia Quadro6000 6gb
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Well several of the components are really EOL or close to EOL on this. The 15K SAS drives are rather pointless at this point since SSD drives are far faster with pricing comparable to the SAS drives. Now that the 1TB SSD drives are starting to release, I would not even bother with them. The Quadro 6000 is definitely EOL now since the Quadro K5000 released. If you want a Quadro card then that is the card to get until the K version of the 6000 releases. I would definitely not get 2 of either Quadro card. If you require a 10bit workflow then get the Quadro for the Display output and a Geforce card for the GPU processing. This can still be setup if done correctly. Many Max editors still use both. The E-5 2667's are ok but for that price you should have the E-5 2687's. Those are the best Xeon's to get. Harm is absolutely correct on the ram. 64GB is more than enough even with Red Projects or Comps. I really hope the Network interface is onboard. If you require a card then get one of the 10Gbit Ethernet cards for now for future proofing later when the 10Gbit Ethernet switches finally fall into the domestic/small business price range.

Eric
                ADK