16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 5:47 PM by the_wine_snob

Make video fullscreen

alexrjohnson.22

I am editing a video on Adobe Premiere Elements 10 on my Mac and the original video that I was given isn't fullscreen.  I was wondering if there is any way of making it fullscreen without cutting off any part of the video.

• 1. Re: Make video fullscreen
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

There might be a simple answer, or maybe a more involved one.

First, please let us know the full Project Settings, and then the full specs. of the problem file. The more info, the better. Those specifications will likely tell us, whether the "fix" is simple, or more involved.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Make video fullscreen
            alexrjohnson.22 Level 1

Thanks for getting back so fast.

Here are the full project settings:

- Frame size is 1920x1080

- Timebase is 29.97 frames/sec

- Display format is 30fps drop-frame timecode

- Sample rate is 48000Hz

- Editing mode is DSLR

- 24p conversion method is 2:3:3:2

• 3. Re: Make video fullscreen
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for that.

What are the full specs. of the Clips, and especially the Frame Size and the PAR (Pixel Aspect Ratio)?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Make video fullscreen
                alexrjohnson.22 Level 1

The frame size is 1920x1080 (can only find this under the full project settings) and the Pixel Aspect Ratio is Square Pixels (1.0)

• 5. Re: Make video fullscreen
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Are you saying that the Video Clip is also 1920 x 1080 w/ PAR=1.0 (Square Pixels)?

If so, then the Clips should fill the Project's Frame Size perfectly. If it is not, then something is mis-matched. Can you verify that the Clip does match the Project Setting 100%?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Make video fullscreen
                    alexrjohnson.22 Level 1

The only place where I can find the frame size is under the full project settings.  When I highlight a clip and look at its info, nothing appears.

And how do I match the clip to the project settings exactly?  I'm not as familiar with Premiere 10 as I am with Final Cut.  I tried magnifying it, if that's what you mean.

• 7. Re: Make video fullscreen
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, this is from memory of PrE 10, but in the Project Panel, you should be able to Rt-click on one of those Clips, and choose Interpret Footage to see the specs., or also Properties.

On a Mac, one can use MediaInspector, or on a PC, MediaInfo, or G-Spot, to gather that information.

Also, knowing the video camera used, and its setting should yield some of that data.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Make video fullscreen
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

In PrE 11, you can also Rt-click on a Clip in the Timeline, and choose Show Properties, to get that data. Just not sure if that was in PrE 10 also.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Make video fullscreen
                          alexrjohnson.22 Level 1

I just looked at the clip on Premiere 10 (I don't have access to the video camera used - this is part of a freelance video editing job I'm doing) and found some more data.  (I'm only listing the ones that are relevant to this situation) Here it is:

Image size - 720x480

Frame rate - 29.97

Average data rate - 189 kb/second

PAR - 1.0

• 10. Re: Make video fullscreen
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, that is what we need.

That 720 x 480 w/ PAR=1.0 is a bit odd (usually PAR=1.212 for Widescreen 16:9, or 0.917 for Standard 4:3, both NTSC).

The Aspect Ratios do not match, but are pretty close. You will be faced with either small black bars, or a small amount of cropping by the Frame Size of the Project. That is your choice.

In the Timeline you will want to Scale UP (Effect>Motion>Scale) your 720 x 480 material to either fill the entire Frame, or fill it with one dimension, and allow the Frame to do a little bit of cropping. Note: Scaling UP SD footage to an HD Project, WILL degrade the quality of the footage. One option might be to use a 3rd party plug-in, like Red Giant's Magic Bullet Instant HD. Many have found it satisfactory, but depending on the footage, some have not been pleased. There are a few other, similar plug-ins/converters, so you might want to do a trial, before buying one.

If you do go the "fill the Frame" route, you can limit that small amount of effective cropping to just the top, or the bottom, or a combo of each, with Effect>Motion>Position.

If you go the thin black bars route, you can opt to Scale to Default Frame for those Clips, and just let it fill one dimension 100%, leaving the tiny black bars.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Make video fullscreen
                              alexrjohnson.22 Level 1

I want to do the "fill the frame" route, but there are black bars on the left and right sides of the video frame, not the top and bottom.  Do you know how I would be able to go around cropping it so that the bars won't be there?

• 12. Re: Make video fullscreen
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

With the mis-match in Aspect Ratio, the bars WILL be on the side, Pillar Boxing.

The way to fill the entire Frame is to Scale the footage UP so that the width dimension of the Scaled Footage is 1920. The vertical dimension will now be larger than 1080. Initially, the cropping will be split between the top and bottom, but if you go to Effect>Motion>Position, and adjust its Position, you can limit that to only the top, or only the bottom, or a little bit of both, say a little off the bottom, but more off the top. The framing of your footage will dictate what looks best. As an example, if you have a "talking head," and the top of the speaker's head is close to the top, then you would want to do that cropping off the bottom. Note: this "cropping," is "effective cropping," and done by the Frame Size. It is NOT the Effect>Crop, which is something else.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Make video fullscreen
                                  alexrjohnson.22 Level 1

Thanks for the help, but I can't get this option to work.  Whenever I click on Effect>Motion>Position, nothing happens.  Is that supposed to happen?

• 14. Re: Make video fullscreen
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Initially, the Position will be right in the center of the Frame. You will need to adjust the Y Axis (the second number). You can scrub that by clicking and dragging on it, or you can click on the number (but NOT drag), and then enter in a value.

Motion>Position is exactly like Motion>Scale, in that the setting are neutral, until a parameter is changed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Make video fullscreen
                                      alexrjohnson.22 Level 1

I don't need to adjust the Y Axis.  That's just fine.  What I need to adjust is the X AXIS (the WIDTH) because there are two bars on the left and right side of the video frame.

• 16. Re: Make video fullscreen
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

You are getting ahead of things here.

First, you need to Scale the Clip, until it fills the width, the 1920. That will eliminate the Pillar Boxing.

Once that has been done, the top & bottom will be effectively cropped, due to the mis-match of the Aspect Ratios.

The Effect>Motion>Position will allow you to change the pixels that are effectively cropped, such as the top only, or the bottom only, or a disproportinate amount of top & bottom.

Good luck,

Hunt