8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 2:51 PM by Frans van der Geest

downsample when "packaging"

beckyk1113 Level 1

I need to be able to downsample and crop images to frames when I "package" or "collect" a file.

I know how to do this when I create a PDF. I need to do it when I collect the source files.

If InDesign does not support this feature, is there a plug-in or 3rd party software that will do it?

• 1. Re: downsample when "packaging"
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

ID does not support this.When you package you are collecting the links as they are, so you would need to do any downsampling and cropping before you place the images if you expect them to be downsampled and cropped in the package.

Why do you need to do it?

• 2. Re: downsample when "packaging"

It's possible it could be scripted to open the images for editing, do the cropping and downsampling, and then replace them, though.

• 3. Re: downsample when "packaging"
              beckyk1113 Level 1

We work primarily with one big client and keep an image library for them. It's easier to keep a nice, big highres of each image on the library instead of having to generate several differnet sizes of each image.

But when you use the image in a small picture box for a print job, the file and the collected job get to be unneccesarily large file sizes. This causes a problem for moving files to the offset printer and for the client when it comes to archiving.

A long time ago--when I worked in Quark--we had software that would resize and crop the images to optimize them as it collected. I'm looking for the InDesign equivalent. It would make a huge difference in our workflow.

• 4. Re: downsample when "packaging"
                beckyk1113 Level 1

I'm not familiar with using scripting like that...would feel safer using a 3rd party plug-in, etc.

• 5. Re: downsample when "packaging"

I'm not a scripter, so I can't help there, and I've never heard of plugin that can do that, though that's hardly proof that it doesn't exist.

I can understand, maybe, wanting to downsample for archiving, but not for handoff to the printer. You should be sending PDF, not native files for that. And my personal opinion is that the ful image is better inthe archive, too. You never know when you might want to use that archived file as the basis for something new that might require a different crop or resolution.

• 6. Re: downsample when "packaging"
                    beckyk1113 Level 1

I agree on both counts.

I'm under presure from our client to cut the final collected file sizes because they pay for their archive space by the gig. The larger the file, the more it costs to archive it.

On the printer side, it's more of just getting the image "optimized" for the size it's being used in the piece. If it's small in one piece and large in another, the photo only needs to be so big--and then will be smaller to transfer through the internet...

We do send pdfs, but some printers still want source files.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help.

Maybe someone is creating this new software as we speak and will let me beta-test it!

Have a great day!

• 7. Re: downsample when "packaging"

Unless you do fine tuning after downsampling in Photoshop there's no advantage over using the full-res version and doing it on export, especially if you keep client images in a folder structure separate from the ID project files (so the same image is used in all documents). That also has the advantage that an edit will be reflected in all files that use the image.