3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2013 8:05 PM by Jeff Schewe

simple version of the raw dialog vs. non-simple

pintree3 Level 1

In the FAQ page there is this question: "When I open my Nikon NEF files, all I see is the simple version of the raw dialog."

Since I don't know what a 'simple version" versus a non-simple, or elaborate or whatever it is you would call it, I would appreciate it if the raw dialog can be defined, as to what it is supposed to be. This way I know if I have the same problem or not. (or in other words, what information does a simple version show, or what info is missing in the simple version)?

If important I have the latest version of camera raw 7.4 running on Photoshop CS6

• 1. Re: simple version of the raw dialog vs. non-simple
          Yammer Level 4

It's a bit out of context, as I don't know which FAQ question you are reading but it could be a couple of things:

1. there used to be a Nikon raw converter plug, which I've personally never seen, which had a much simpler layout than Camera Raw, I believe. You may be reading about running the wrong plug-in, and identifying it by its complexity. You're unlikely to come across it these days.

2. If you use the same Camera Raw plug-in for CS, but in Photoshop Elements, its functionality is reduced, or you might say "emasculated" ;-)

• 2. Re: simple version of the raw dialog vs. non-simple
            pintree3 Level 1

The FAQ in question is the only FAQ which shows up on the 1st opening page and it links here:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/311515?tstart=0

What I was referring to is at the bottom of the page and the exact question and answer is:

Q: When I open my Nikon NEF files, all I see is the simple version of the raw dialog.

A: You are running Nikon's plug-in, not Adobe's. Delete from Photoshop's plug-in folder and all subfolders all copies of the "Nikon NEF plugin". Nikon automatically installs this plug-in in up to two places inside Photoshop's plug-in folder, and both must be deleted. Otherwise it overrides the Adobe plug-in. An alternative to the deletion is adding ~ in front of the Nikon plug-ins names.

Does this help any? So is this Q&A old and not something I should worry about?

Thanks

• 3. Re: simple version of the raw dialog vs. non-simple
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

pintree3 wrote:

So is this Q&A old and not something I should worry about?

Yes, it's old and no you don't need to worry about it (as long as you don't have that old Nikon plug-in).