12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2013 2:31 PM by Hudechrome

CS4, Nikon d3100 and DNG Converter

barbcpeter Level 1

I have CS4 Web Premium and can only update the camera raw to 5.7. I want to download the DNG converter which supports the D3100 and that would be 6.3. However, it appears you cannot download a standalone DNG converter. It is coupled with the Camera Raw update, which is not compatible with CS4. So, what do I have to do to work with my Nikon NEF files in Camera Raw CS4?

Thanks for any and all help!

• 1. Re: CS4, Nikon d3100 and DNG Converter
          Yammer Level 4

DNG Converter is a standalone program. You might be able to download it with Camera Raw, but it doesn't need it. It works alone. Just dowload and try it.

They are separate here:

Mac http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Macintosh

Windows http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=106&platform=Windows

• 2. Re: CS4, Nikon d3100 and DNG Converter
            Hudechrome Level 2

It may not work with the 7100 files yet. I registered a problem with DxO concerning their dng conversion of 7100 nefs. When I open them in ACR (or LR for that matter), the Camera Calibration tab shows only Imbedded. They got back to me with this:

Just checked with Adobe and they do not yet have these color profiles for their DNG Converter 7.4 (so you cannot make D7100 Adobe DNGs yet).

So far as I can see, that's the only problem. ACR works well with the rest of the menu items using the linear dng from DxO, as usual.

It seems to me that the dng converter has, in the past, lagged behind the ACR updates, no?

• 3. Re: CS4, Nikon d3100 and DNG Converter
              ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are you talking about?  The DNG Converter 7.4 available at the preceding links lists the D7100 as newly supported.  The DNGC and ACR plug-ins have come out simultaneously for many versions, already. 

I’m not saying DxO linear DNGs don’t work, somehow, but it’s not because the DNG Converter 7.4 doesn’t support the Nikon D7100 (or D3100) because it does.

The camera profiles for the D7100 are located here on my system and include the normal Adobe Standard along with five Camera-match profiles:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera\Nikon D7100

• 4. Re: CS4, Nikon d3100 and DNG Converter
                Hudechrome Level 2

As I posted, I got this from DxO as a response they got from Adobe. The dng does not come up with the profiles in the Camera Calibration tab. That's all I know.

Don't shoot the messenger.

I can provide the file. DxO checked both LR and ACR in Photoshop. The D600 files work fine. the D7100 do not.

So, whose probem is it? Another no you, no you, no you....?

• 5. Re: CS4, Nikon d3100 and DNG Converter

I should have said what are “they” talking about for the first part about D7100 not being supported, but the DNGC and ACR plug-in are released simultaneously, nowadays.

I wonder if there is a problem with Adobe having changed the locations of where the profiles live a few versions back, not necessarily a problem with DxO, though it could be, but a problem with the older CS4/ACR 5.7 not being able to find them, now.

It would be interesting to see a DxO output file along with the NEF it was created from to test on other systems.

• 6. Re: CS4, Nikon d3100 and DNG Converter
                    Hudechrome Level 2

I can do that, and include a file they sent me to test before posting the response from which I drew their comment. If of course, they would allow me to send it on.

DxO folks are no dummies. And their tech support is second to none. That is not to say they are not implicated. But I take them seriously.

Probably not a location problem. My D90 profles from the current version (8.1.5) of DxO Pro work fine. All the profiles show up in the Camera cal tab using their dng file.

Nothing proven yet, but a smoking gun is evident.

Actually, since DxO did run the check themselves, ACR engineers can also. DxO di not use my file. They ran a test with both the D7100 nef and the D600 nef.

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

• 7. Re: CS4, Nikon d3100 and DNG Converter

Testing from my system, without DxO installed:  The DNG Converter 7.4 installs profiles for D7100, D90, D3100, D600, which covers the cameras mentioned in this thread—it installs both the Adobe Standard profile for all these cameras along with the 5 camera-match profiles for all these cameras.  The profiles are installed into the c:\ProgramData location mentioned, earlier.

A DNG created from a Nikon D7100 NEF downloaded from dpreview using DNGC 7.4 will open in CS5/ACR 6.7 and shows the proper 6 Adobe/Camera-match profiles.

From the quote I read, it seems that DxO is saying Adobe doesn't support the D7100 the same as other cameras, which doesn't appear to be true from what I see on my system.

Do you feel DxO is saying something else is not working, other than the Adobe profiles installed by the DNG Converter 7.4?  Does Adobe supply profiles to DxO and those don't work or something?

• 8. Re: CS4, Nikon d3100 and DNG Converter
                        Hudechrome Level 2

No, AFAIK, Adobe supplies no profiles, only makes them available in the camera Cal tab.

Bottom line: make a dng from the Adobe dng tool supplied with 7.4. I'll try it tonight and see.

The basic profiles should come up. Adobe is only making it's own profile, but not the Nikon supplied version.

Bottom line: the D600 dng from DxO opens correctly in 7.4, the 7100 does not.  Both were created with DxO 8.1.5, as well as my D90 ones, which do open properly. What's the difference?

The D7100 profiles are missing, plain and simple. It's well beyond my capabilities (and willingness if I had them!) to delve into the details.

That's where the devil lives! I like angels!

• 9. Re: CS4, Nikon d3100 and DNG Converter

The DNG Converter 7.4 installer does install the 1+5 Adobe-supplied Nikon D7100 profiles on my Windows 7 64-bit computer.  I ran the installer, after deleting the profiles just to make sure they came back, and they all did. 

Are you or DxO saying your or their systems do not have the D7100 profiles after installing the Adobe DNG Converter 7.4 or are you or they saying something else?

This is what I see on my computer that was populated by the DNG Converter 7.4.exe installer this morning:

Directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe

03/22/2013  03:01 AM        23,068,568 Adobe DNG Converter.exe

1 File(s)     23,068,568 bytes

Directory of C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard

03/22/2013  01:57 AM           120,688 Nikon D7100 Adobe Standard.dcp

1 File(s)        120,688 bytes

Directory of C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera\Nikon D7100

04/15/2013  01:32 PM   

04/15/2013 01:32 PM

03/22/2013  01:58 AM           277,850 Nikon D7100 Camera Landscape.dcp

03/22/2013  01:58 AM           277,848 Nikon D7100 Camera Neutral.dcp

03/22/2013  01:58 AM           277,848 Nikon D7100 Camera Portrait.dcp

03/22/2013  01:58 AM           277,848 Nikon D7100 Camera Standard.dcp

03/22/2013  01:58 AM           277,846 Nikon D7100 Camera Vivid.dcp

5 File(s)      1,389,240 bytes

• 10. Re: CS4, Nikon d3100 and DNG Converter
                              Hudechrome Level 2

Ok, I see where you are going.

Yes, if I open an nef from the 7100, I see the profiles. If I open a dng prepared with the DxO software, the profiles are  missing. According to DxO, opening a D600 dng prepared with the DXO software, the profiles are present.

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

• 11. Re: CS4, Nikon d3100 and DNG Converter

Was the DxO-produced D7100 DNG, that is missing the D7100 profile linking, created after the DNGC 7.4 release version with the D7100 profiles was installed or not?  

I mean, what is the timeframe of the DxO quote that says there were no D7100 profiles?  Either it is old and not relevant to the current situation, or their software doesn’t work and they are just good BSers.

• 12. Re: CS4, Nikon d3100 and DNG Converter
                                  Hudechrome Level 2

Both tests were run this weekend. Theirs and mine.