13 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2013 8:04 PM by areohbee

How can I apply one xmp file on an other raw/dng file?

itai_bsn Level 1

The result I'm looking for is just like doing -copy settings- from picture A, and -paste setting- on picture B. but I want to do that to a whole gallery, so I figured that the best way to do so is using the xmp files somehow ... all suorce file A and destenation file B has the same name.

Why I want to do that?

I want to edit big amount of raw files(36MP each) , in a very fast way.

The idea- first, convert them to 1MP files, then edit those very small files working very fast, and then apply or copy the edit of each 1MP pic to the original raw/dng file.

the last stage might involve some code writing, but I still didnt figured how to apply the xmp file into the original raw/dng

So, what do u think?

• 1. Re: How can I apply one xmp file on an other raw/dng file?
          DawMatt Level 3

I'm pretty sure John Beardsworth has already written a plugin that could

copy the develop settings for you. It would be at

http://photographers-toolbox.com. Can't think of the name right now but it

was originally designed to copy metadata and I'm sure it can now do develop

settings as well.

Thanks, Matt

(Apologies for the brevity. Sent from my Android.)

• 3. Re: How can I apply one xmp file on an other raw/dng file?
            areohbee Level 5

It is certainly worth considering whether you really need to go through xmp, or not.

e.g. if you need to apply changed crop settings, those can't be transferred by a plugin in any other way (same is true of orientation and tone-curve enable/disable...).

If you want (or need) to go through xmp to transfer those settings, then just read metadata after making the changes to xmp. There is no explicit support for reading xmp in the SDK, but you can prompt the user to do it, or use autohotkey on Windows...

Of course if Syncomatic or some such plugin does what you want already, then discussion over...

Rob

• 4. Re: How can I apply one xmp file on an other raw/dng file?
              areohbee Level 5

Matt,

Have you fixed your plugins to properly contend for write access when used in conjunction with other plugins having background tasks which update the catalog?

I know you are aware of the issue, but if your plugins are not fixed yet, they should be (ditto for all other plugin authors). John Ellis and Jeffrey Friedl and I have fixed ours - how about yours???

Such an unfixed plugin, when used along with any other plugins that include background updating (like DevMeta or ExifMeta), will seem occasionally and non-reproducibly flaky.

Spread the word...

PS - Last time I tried it, Syncomatic was borderline unusable for me without disabling some of my background plugins (I have contacted John Beardy about this issue outside the forum, but I have not yet received a response from him, and so dunno if he has planned to fix...).

Rob

• 5. Re: How can I apply one xmp file on an other raw/dng file?
                DawMatt Level 3

Rob,

I can't remember. Remind me what I should be checking for?

Thanks, Matt

(Apologies for the brevity. Sent from my Android.)

• 6. Re: How can I apply one xmp file on an other raw/dng file?
                  areohbee Level 5

If you call catalog:with...write...do methods, they'll fail if any other plugin is writing the catalog already, which will happen sometimes when user

* has background task running (whether he/she knows it or not).

* has initiated another task in the foreground (e.g. as evidenced by progress scope).

So, all calls to catalog write methods should be wrapped in a detector which retries upon failure. My detector distinguishes between contention error and function failure (by evaluating the error message string which is returned) - if the former, it backs off by a random amount of time, and then retries. I dunno how John Ellis or Jeffrey Friedl did it.

Adobe created the timeout params for this purpose in SDK4, but after using them for a while I fell back to the old way due to bugginess (reported, but not yet acknowleged by Adobe).

Rob

• 7. Re: How can I apply one xmp file on an other raw/dng file?
                    jarnoh Level 1

Rob, only user feedback about locked catalogs have been from your plugins, I've always told users to pick one, mine or yours

One of your plugins was locking the photo everytime a develop adjustment was made, which I didn't consider as a good idea, but to each his own...

• 8. Re: How can I apply one xmp file on an other raw/dng file?
                      areohbee Level 5

Why not just fix it right so users can run both?

PS - DevMeta updates catalog with changed develop settings so they are available for filtering & smart collections. Perhaps you don't consider that a good idea, but I do, and DevMeta is one of my most popular plugins, so lots of other people do too. I mean, users can opt to turn such auto-updating off, but it does not interfere with Develop module performance (it happens in a pretty lazy fashion), so most just leave it on, since it is more convenient.

Note: I have a lot of plugins that update the catalog in the background, but I am not the only one doing it, whether your users will or have encountered others yet, or not, or did, but weren't able to identify or simply failed to report...

I agree: to each their own, but I don't see any advantage in not fixing your plugins...

UPDATE: If your plugin is the kind that demands exclusive write access (like for quickly applying a succession of LrDevelopPresets to simulate dev slider movement - which has it's own drawbacks - like monopolizing undo...), then perhaps an appropriate warning message would be better than "waiting in line".

Summary: Regardless of action taken, it seems to make good sense to detect type of error (catalog contention vs. update function error), and respond appropriately.

Rob

Message was updated by: Rob Cole

• 9. Re: How can I apply one xmp file on an other raw/dng file?
                        itai_bsn Level 1

Thanks guys, syncomatic do the job well!!!

but,

exept for the cropping thing... anybody has an idea how I can overcome that?

maybe autohotkey script doing a loop of   (ctrl+shift+c -> enter -> right arrow -> ctrl+shift+v -> ..... )

I dont have expirience with autohotkey, so what do u think about that idea?

and by the way, I think that the 1MP file edit instead of full size raw/dng edit is the best thing hapend to me ..... (:

• 10. Re: How can I apply one xmp file on an other raw/dng file?
                          areohbee Level 5

itai_bsn wrote:

I want to edit big amount of raw files(36MP each) , in a very fast way.

The idea- first, convert them to 1MP files, then edit those very small files working very fast, and then apply or copy the edit of each 1MP pic to the original raw/dng file.

Consider 'Edit In Lightroom' - it does exactly what you want - straight out of the box... Sorry I didn't realize your objective previously.

Cheers,

Rob

• 11. Re: How can I apply one xmp file on an other raw/dng file?
                            itai_bsn Level 1

Rob Cole you are my HERO !!!!!!

• 12. Re: How can I apply one xmp file on an other raw/dng file?
                              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

See the smart previews feature in the LR5 public beta.

• 13. Re: How can I apply one xmp file on an other raw/dng file?
                                areohbee Level 5

itai_bsn wrote:

Rob Cole you are my HERO !!!!!!

Yeah, and now Adobe stole my idea (ha-ha) . - Lr5's smart previews make EditInLightroom completely obsolete, unless you are still using Lr4 or Lr3 I mean.

One thing though: you can eek a little more performance from smart previews by further shrinking them using PreviewExporter, and/or taking photos offline...

Cheers,

Rob