12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2013 11:54 PM by JPThom

Exporting only selected master pages

JPThom

In an InDesign CS6 file, I want to export to PDF only the pages that use selected master pages. For example, if the file has master pages A-H, is there a way to only export to PDF pages that use master pages A-C, ignoring all the other pages that use master pages D-H?

• 1. Re: Exporting only selected master pages
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm not aware of a way to print specific master pages ... not sure if it's possible.

The only way I can think of is to right click on the master pages and assign a different colour label to the master pages you want to print.

Then you can select the pages in the Pages Panel using CTRL (CMD) to select pages non-contigiuosly.

(The colour label should make it easier to find the pages you want to print)

• 2. Re: Exporting only selected master pages

Althought that doesn't help...as you can't print those pages you've selected - hmmm

I don't know how you would do this - you'd have to note all the page numbers and insert them into the Print Dialog box.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Exporting only selected master pages
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

A fun project

If you enable the last line (remove the // comment slashes), you automatically get the Export PDF dialog. This, however, makes it skip the Save As dialog -- I don't know how to do both!

Either way, you should be seeing the selected page ranges in the Export Range dialog.

var mCheckbox = [];
              var expMasterDialog = app.dialogs.add({name:"The Export Master", canCancel:true});
              with (expMasterDialog)
              {
              with(dialogColumns.add())
              {
                for (i=0; i<app.activeDocument.masterSpreads.length; i++)
                {
                 with(dialogRows.add())
                 {
                  mCheckbox[i] = checkboxControls.add({staticLabel:app.activeDocument.masterSpreads[i].name,checkedState:false});
                 }
                }
              }
              }
              if (expMasterDialog.show() == true)
              {
              newRange = '';
              for (i=0; i<app.activeDocument.pages.length; i++)
              {
                if (app.activeDocument.pages[i].appliedMaster &&
                 mCheckbox[app.activeDocument.pages[i].appliedMaster.index].checkedState == true)
                {
                 if (newRange) newRange += ',';
                 newRange += app.activeDocument.pages[i].name;
                }
              }
              app.pdfExportPreferences.pageRange = newRange;
              // alert (newRange);
              // app.activeDocument.exportFile (ExportFormat.PDF_TYPE, File((app.activeDocument.fullName.fsName+'!').replace(/(\.indd)?!$/i, '.pdf')), true, app.pdfExportPresets[0]);
              }

• 4. Re: Exporting only selected master pages
                JPThom Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, looking at it again, it may be as simple as having the relevant page numbers in a text box on the pasteboard/artboard, which can be copied into the Print Dialog box. Not the most sophisticated solution, but for this particular document it'll probably do the job. (the context is that we have a print folder with tabs that was previously built as separate files. We've since merged the files so we can have internal hyperlinks for a digital version - however, the printer still needs a separate file for tabs when we send if off for print - thus the 'marking' of particular master pages (our tab pages) for easy export to PDF)

• 5. Re: Exporting only selected master pages
                  JPThom Level 1

Thanks Jongware - unfortunately, I'm based in a large company that blocks users from using/installing additional Java scripts, so I'll have to file your script away for later.

Cheers.

• 6. Re: Exporting only selected master pages
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It would be worth the time to try to talk to IT and explain how InDesign is extensible by using scripts to automate processess, that there are already scripts installed by default, and that they can look at the script before it gets installed to see that it has no interaction with other programs. If you can show them that it will reduce costs you might be surprised at the flexibility that can develop.

• 7. Re: Exporting only selected master pages

I think an option would be to make a Final File with all the pages in one PDF document.

You can then use Acrobat to extract the pages with the tabs.

The only other option would be to use Sections to section Tabs and pages inbetween tabs -

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-7111a.h tml

See printing Sections

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-7096a.h tml

• 8. Re: Exporting only selected master pages
                        TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'd be curious if you can't actually run scripts anyway (not that I'm

advising you do anything to get in trouble).

To run a script, you just need to open ExtendScript Toolkit (which is

installed by default with InDesign). Copy/paste the script into ESTK,

target InDesign from the dropdown on the top-left next to the link icon,

and run the script. You do not actually have to save it onto your hard

drive or anything like that.

Ariel

• 9. Re: Exporting only selected master pages

I agree with Peter - there has to be some flexibility to allow installations of Scripts.

Scripts are an integral part of InDesign and it's designed so that Users can write and install their own scripts to custom build for situations that InDesign wouldn't normally cater for.

• 10. Re: Exporting only selected master pages

Another interesting option might be to put all the Tabbed Pages on a different layer.

You can then double click layers to have them print or not print.

You should be able to export to a PDF and choose only the pages that are Print Layers - by turning on and off the layer print mode, you should be able to export only the pages, and only the tabs in different orders.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-7096a.h tml#WSC468E092-6078-4fcc-9739-A9CCE50EB732a

It's in the File>Export>Adobe PDF (Print) and in the General Tab there's an option of Export Layers - and this can be set to

1. All Layers
                            2. Visible Layers
                            3. Visible Layers and Printable Layers

I think by Hiding the Layers for Tabs you can choose Visible Layers only and it will only export those pages.

You can then switch the Tabs back on and turn off the layer for the Body text - and export those individually.

• 11. Re: Exporting only selected master pages
                              JPThom Level 1

Thanks Ariel, I bumped your suggestion on to a colleague of mine, and he said the workaround worked great - so now we can run scripts! Cheers.

• 12. Re: Exporting only selected master pages
                                JPThom Level 1

Thanks Eugene, currently looking at layers with the one file that will allow us to 'turn on' digital elements (such as home buttons and other navigation tools), or print elements (such as placeholder instructions for tab pages) as needed. All going well, once the file is correctly built, is should make this switch nice and easy.