• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HTML5 doesn't support rollover captions?

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2013 Apr 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a workaround? Say it ain't so...

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2013 Apr 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HTML5 is mainly targeted at mobile devices with touch screens.  How were you intending to do a rollover on a touch screen?  Wave your hand in front of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2013 Apr 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, Rod, you gotta warn somebody before you crack one off like that!

Now I have to go find cleaner suitable for my laptop screen to get the coffee off!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2013 Apr 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod, good one. No I don't intend to wave my handi in front of it, I would expect users to touch it. Got anything useful to add? Anybody watching for trolls here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.  But the trolls can certainly spot someone that hasn't thought something through and after you see this question several times...well.

The reality is that there IS NO ROLLOVER in the touch screen world. In most cases, on mobile devices the rollover effect is by default mapped to a click event, or in other words, a tap or touch on the screen.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-users-navigate-in-a-touch-screen-world.html

So if your content is intended for mobile devices, you need to redesign the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The reality is that there IS NO ROLLOVER in the touch screen world. In most cases, on mobile devices the rollover effect is by default mapped to a click event, or in other words, a tap or touch on the screen."

Wrong - there is a rollover property "vmouseover" using jquery for mobile.

http://jquerymobile.com/demos/1.1.0-rc.1/docs/api/events.html

Hopefully Adobe will come up with a comrehensive HTML5 output instead of this half-hearted rubbish that excludes basic, simple design features like pop-ups. Are you telling me they couldn't code a pop-up in HTML5? Sad. This isn't a minor issue as thier customers (I'm one) are investing a lot of time and money in thier solution. An then when I come to this companie's forum to ask serious questions, I get these snot nosed repies from Rod - not to mention wrong

Thanks Adobe!

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to look again and think about what the documentation is telling you:

http://api.jquerymobile.com/vmouseover/

"The idea behind virtualized mouse events is to translate touch events into mouse events to compensate for the missing mouse event triggers. "

So as the documentation indicates, vmouseover is really a TOUCH event, not a rollover.  In the example they give you to try, you have to touch the screen, which (on my iPad) fires vmouseover events.

The word VIRTUAL in the vmouseover name gives you the clue.  This is a virtualised event, substituting a touch event for a mouse event because in a mobile environment mouse events don't actually exist.

HTML5 isn't as easy to pull off as most people would like to believe.  It's a nightmare for the tool vendors at present due to the huge variations in support for it among mobile browsers. If you have a beef with the way Adobe codes their software, there's a nice little Feature Enhancement form available from a link on this forum.  You'll get far more mileage by using that form to ask for improvements than the way you've gone about it so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be sarcastic you need to be accurate. Captivate 6 and 7 has a bug that shows the wrong font in the TOC when viewed online in IE (when using a non standard font). So the only way around this is publish in HTML5 and manually edit the css files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What has this got to do with HTML5 and rollover captions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem with the TOC fonts means that I have to publish in HTML5 where I can then change the font family in the CSS files. So I need to use HTML5 output for everything, and therefore need rollover capability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same issue here.  I look at this as a "hover" effect.  Mouse-over something and you get a response on-focus.  This is almost button-hover 101 stuff.  I use Rollover captions to test students knowledge before a quiz.  I could convert these to Interactions, but that is a huge undertaking across 14 courses and I have 674 of them.  It would be nice if they could convert these to HTML 5, now and not in the future it is jut on-hover stuff and even my menubar authoring program can do this fly-over tuff.

I would think that the people doing computer simulations and who are testing user competency would need the ability to use a rollover caption for practice models?  

I noticed that I also get an HTML5 unsupported condition for Text Animations.  An option to convert them to an image would work or just an option to turn them into static text with the same font might work.  An option to convert them to an image with a transition or fly-in style might work (that' just DHTML stuff).  But no options?

Hope to see this soon, I am on 7.01 and the solutions are not here today.

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources