1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 30, 2007 4:50 PM by brado77

File download code works without error, but no file is downloaded

brado77 Level 1
      Hello,

I have a very strange problem -- I am trying to download a simple file from a server, using virtually identical code to what is in the FileReference.download() examples. My code executes flawlessly, I get the browse window to select the location to save and name of the file, as expected. I click "Save" in the file dialog, and the window disappears -- but no file. I know my URL is right, because I can test the URL from the browser, and I get the file back. But here's the even weirder thing: I threw TCPMon in between Flex and the server, and discovered that the FileReference.download() method isn't even sending a request to the server. If I try the exact same URL through a browser, TCPMon shows both the request and response. But Flex never registers a request at all.

Help! I have 100% error free code that follows the documentation examples but doesn't request or download the file.

Your help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Brad
        • 1. Re: File download code works without error, but no file is downloaded
          brado77 Level 1
          I found the answer to my problem, but now I want to know WHY this is, and if it is considered a bug by Adobe -- if anyone out there has an explanation, that would be great.

I implemented the full set of event handlers, and guess what -- not only was I not getting any HTTP request being made, but I also didn't get any event callbacks. Bottom line, I think I found an Actionscript bug.

The answer to the $64,000 question is this: when the FileReference object goes out of scope (I had it declared locally), because the download() call is asynchronous, it doesn't call event handlers or make a request. It must be garbage collecting it. So you have to have your variable as a member, not a local variable. Weird. I find no other objects in Actionscript work like that. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that the call crosses the native boundary (because it is leaving the Flash sandbox, and interacting with the browser/native OS.

To me, that's like prematurely killing a thread before it has completed processing just because it has no parent object with a reference to it. In general, most rules for garbage collection I've seen in various platforms require either a parent object or thread of processing to prevent cleanup.

If anyone has an explanation, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Brad