18 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2013 10:37 PM by John Ratard

Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC

John Ratard Level 1

I have upgraded to a 6 core PC with Windows 7 Professional as follows:

ASUS P9X78 Deluxe Motherboard

Intel i7 3930 CPU

DDR3 1600 32G RAM

1 Samsung MZ-7PD256BW R 256G SSD (C drive)

2 1TB 7200rpm SATA HD RAID (E drive)

2 1TB 7200rpm SATA HD RAID (F drive)

Nvidia GTX660 2G Video

The D drive was allocated to the LG Super Multi DISC drive but, apart from the C drive, the others can be realloacted.

I understand that that read/writes to SSD drives should be minimized if possible for a longer life span.  My Documents can be reallocated from the SSD drive to one of the other 2 drives.  I have started a project to find that the Scratch Discs are subject to allocation to My Documents under what appears to be a Private restriction.

I do not have experience on the better allocation of resources for speed on the 6-core PC as shown.  I have spent a number of years allowing the default allocation of files while attempting to distribute concurrent reads and writes to 4 1TB drives on a 4-core PC without much experience.

Perhaps some allocations are fixed by Premier Pro.  How should I allocate the following on the E and F drives?

- Source files for Video and Audio

- Project Files

- Scratch Discs

- Preview Files

- Encoded Files

- Rendered Files

• 1. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's what I'd do:

System - 256 GB SSD  (Leave My Docs alone)

Projects - 1TB

Scratch - 1TB (Previews/Cache)

Media - 1TB

Exports - 1TB

• 3. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
            John Ratard Level 1

Separate 1TB allocations do not exist since they are in RAID configuration i.e. 2 for E drive and 2 for F drive.  In this configuration, they are operating as only 2 separate drive striped pairs for speed.

The 6-core is mounted in a Coolmaster 690 case equipped with an external SATA connection in a top compartment.  I presume I can mount an external drive here e.g. a second SSD connected to SATA 6G that may be a good idea for My Docs and the default Scratch discs (Previews/Cache) that appear to be automatically allocated to the Adobe folder under My Documents.

• 4. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Separate 1TB allocations do not exist since they are in RAID configuration

I get that.  I was suggesting you break up the RAID and go back to single disks.

• 5. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
                John Ratard Level 1

OK.  I appear to have a problem between this post and a previous one regarding the best configuration for a 6 core PC.  The previous post after feedback from Harm and others settled on the configuation shown in this post.  We may be on different wave lengths but there is a conflict between 4 separate 1 TB drives versus 2 RAID drives as the better solution for editing and particularly rendering speed.

I am left with a dilemma as to what configuration is better.  Do I remain with the 2 RAID drives or reconfigure to 4 separate drives for best speed performance?

• 6. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Different viewpoints, is all.  Harm and Eric often recommend what you have.  I just don't like RAID 0 for anything, so I always recommend against it.

• 7. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
                    John Ratard Level 1

Thanks Jim.  You have a point.  If required,  a separatation for 2 1TB RAID 0 once populated needs a 2TB HD to recover all the data, if more than half full.  A non recoverable fault with one of the RAID HDs usually means nothing can be recovered if a backup is unavailable.  I have been lucky so far with a zero HD failur rate over 20 years.  Since prices usually drop with time, I may decide to add 2 additional SSDs in the future on 2 of the 3 remaining SATA 6G points on the motherboard to adopt your recommended allocation on 4 separate drives.  Large media and export files would logically be allocated to the 2TB RAID HDs.

Since I am in a RAID configuration at present I need feedback on how best to allocate your recommandation over 4 single drives to 2 RAID drives.

• 8. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
                      rmartin215 Level 1

The builder of my computer with an ASUS  P6T Deluxe V2 (4 years old) basically advised against Raid.

• 9. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
                        Alan Craven Level 4

I run:

1     256GB SSD :            System

2     500GB 7200rpm :      My Documents, and all non-video files + video Projects

3     2 x 730GB 7200 rpm RAID 0 :      Video Files

4     2 x 1000GB 7200 rpm RAID0 :      Media Cache + short term storage of Trimmed project media.

5     1 x 3TB 7200 rpm :    Export and Backup

I back up Video Projects and the two RAID arrays to an external RAID1 at least once a day - and I am only a hobbyist.

• 10. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
                          wonderspark Level 1

The way I see it, you might as well use the two RAID 0 sets, because if any one drive fails in either 2x2 or 4x1, you'll be replacing a drive and reloading data from backups before you can edit, anyway... so use the speed and worry about failure when failure occurs.

I'm a huge fan of RAID 6. I have 8x2TB drives in a RAID 6, which gives more than enough speed, and I can lose *any two* disks in the set without losing any data. Replacing a faulty drive results in a 5-hour rebuild, and I am still editing while said rebuild is underway. I also have a RAID 0 set of 3x1TB disks for scratch and previews, which mean nothing if lost. So long as you have plenty of frequent backups, RAID should not be feared.

• 11. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
                            John Ratard Level 1

Thanks Alan.  I was thinking along the lines of your recommendation with 2 + 3 and 4+5 combined for now on the 2 RAID drives.  Later, 2 500GB SSDs can be used, one each for 2 and 5 with an external 2TB HD backup I already have.  I also have a 4-core with 4 1TB drives as a general use PC, video support, and additional backup if needed.  Unfortunately, I only have a single license for P.Pro CS5 installed on both so I cannot capture on one while editing on the other.

I was hoping to use a separate license I have for an early Premier Pro 1.5 to install and use for the capture function on the 4-core while I edit on the 6-core.  Lower performance of the 1.5 should not be a problem since the capture is limited by the playback of my mini DV tapes.  For file transfers I have installed an Airport Extreme router.  Do you know if P.Pro 1.5 is compatible with Windows 7?

• 12. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

John,

Projects are not compatrible, but you don't need to transfer the project at all, all you need to do is capture the clips to disk and then transfer the captured clips to the 6-core machine with a utility like BeyondCompare. You don't even need to use PR 1.5, you could use HDVSplit (for HDV) or Scenalyzer (for DV) on the quad-core for capture and transfer the captured files with BeyondCompare. The latter approach would have my preference.

• 13. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
                                John Ratard Level 1

Thanks Harm.  I will be at the point of transferring projects and files from the 4-core to the 6-core.  The Airport Extreme has made a huge difference to transfer speeds.  In looking at the alternatives, I find the project export in Project Manager may be a good solution.  As I review the location of files associated with a project in Premier Pro, I find it a little confusing as to where they are all located let alone where they would end up when attempting to transfer a project between computers.  Your response to a post regarding why uninstalling Premier Pro does not remove all the files that were installed and where the remnants are stored (e.g. user/appdata/roaming) is a good example.

If possible, what is the best approach to transferring files between computers?

• 14. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I prefer to do that outside of Premiere and use http://www.scootersoftware.com/moreinfo.php?zz=moreinfo_compare

It allows me to compare the contents of different directories on different drives or computers, even over a network or VPN and copy left to right, right to left or synchronize left and right. For me that is far easier.

Example, I have CS5.5 installed with various plug-ins. Now I install CS6 and want to continue using the same plug-ins. I then use BeyondCompare to find the missing plug-ins in the fresh CS6 installation and copy from CS5.5 to CS6 those missing plug-ins. That makes all those plug-ins available in CS6 as well, instead of reinstalling them again for CS6 only and entering my license keys for all of them. Much faster and easier.

Another example. I have a lot of audio tracks on my old system and I don't want them on the server, but do want them on my new system, so I use synchronize to keep them in sync. We are talking about more than 100 GB of material. In just a few clicks both machines are synchronized and it has the side effect of being a nice backup.  Now I add a new album to machine A and synchronize with machine B, job done. Material is available on both machines.

• 15. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

if any one drive fails in either 2x2 or 4x1, you'll be replacing a drive and reloading data from backups before you can edit, anyway

The problem is with a RAID 0, you increase the chance of failure.

• 16. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
                                      John Ratard Level 1

At $30 the Standard version of Beyond Compare with unlimited computers and timeframe is definitely worth it.  Which version are you using, Standard or Pro?

Comparing and including what is missing from one to the other is logical.  How does Beyond Compare determine all the associated files linked to a project on the first computer that need to be copied to a second computer and where they should be located?

• 17. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Pro Edition, version 3.3.7 (build 15876)

Using BeyondCompare to compare the F: drive on my Monster to the A: drive on my Beast, you have a lot of options to display the differences.  Using 'Show no Orphans' it displays like this:

Beyondcompare.png

but if I select 'Show Differences' it shows like this:

Beyondcompare-diff.png

Notice that to access another computer, you have to use: \\<name>\<Drive>$\<directory>  and you can drill down to selected directories, like this:

Beyondcompare-Jan.png

• 18. Re: Allocation of disc space for CS5 on custom 6-core PC
                                          John Ratard Level 1

As you show in 2, I moved My Documents from the C drive to one of my RAID drives using right click on the My Documents file.  I chose to move to one of my RAID drives, in this case I chose the E drive.  My Documents under Libraries/Documents was replaced by VideoProjectSource (E:).  Each time I add a new project, the Adobe file now appears directly under Libraries/Documents, I presume in my C drive, in addition to listing all the files in the E drive. To collect all my previous My Documents files in the new drive, I added an extra My Documents file in the E drive.  I searched the Internet and found that I probably should have used E:\My Documents in the Target box after adding a My Documents file in the E drive.

It appears that I may have incorrectly used the wrong approach.  If I right click Libraries/Documents I see a Restore Defaults button in the right bottom corner.  To avoid another problem from perhaps an incorrect procedure, is the Restore Defaults the right procedure to recover?