1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 13, 2013 12:46 AM by Mylenium

Help - Photoshop not saving my photos - "cannot save because of a program error"

mellieblossom

I use Photoshop daily (7.0).  Just recently, I tried to save a photo and got the message "could not save because of a program error".  After getting the message again tonight, I re-installed Photoshop on a NEW computer, (went from Windows 7 to Windows 8), transferred my images and got the same message.  The strange part about this is that only some of my photos can't be saved - even those taken the same day.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.

Details:

- they can't be saved in any format.  I tried jpeg, tiff, png, etc.  Same message for all.

- they can't be saved externally.  I tried to transfer them to an external drive and got the same message.

- I tried uploading it to an online editing site and renaming it, then re-opening it in photoshop.  same message.

PLEASE help, I really need to be able to edit these photos somehow.

• 1. Re: Help - Photoshop not saving my photos - "cannot save because of a program error"
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Generally, PS7 should not be considered compatible with Win 7 or Win 8. That aside, you have not provided enough info. Where are those files coming from? Where do you store them? Do they open in otehr apps? Have you tried converting them through tools like IrfanView/ or XnView? Stripped their metadata? This could be anything from genuine structural damage to metadata to compatibility issues with your PS7, e.g. if they are stored on partitions larger than 500 GB or specific drives attached via eSATA or USB 3...

Mylenium