7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 12:27 PM by janelle_f

crop and fill with image

lovemysamsungtoo

Hello

I intend to use lasso for free style cropping an image, but I want to the fill in that cropped section with another image. I intend to , say crop a dress floral pattern on a sleeve, and fill it with another floral pattern of my choice.

Thanks

• 1. Re: crop and fill with image
          Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I see you are using the word crop a lot. To be clear (for any new users reading this post) That cropping mean to reduce the size of an image by discarding pixels outside the crop area. {In photoshop this term is blured a bit as it allows hiding the exterier pixels for non destructive editing}

A selection like what the lasso is used for, allows an area to be filled in with a color, pattern/texture or gradient. {It can also be used for cropping, masking and vectors when used under certain conditions}

Now that the terms are out of the way, lets see what we can do.

Knowing what I wrote above some things pop out and other not quite so much.

A selection like the lasso tool which you did can be applied to a layer that has an image and used for its mask, this makes just that area of the image visible to the layers below. Knowing this, you can do the opposite as well, place the image layer below the sleeve for example and use a mask as a knock out to see the image below. (To create a mask, you first create a selection with any selection tools, then with the layer you want the mask applied to, is selected, you just click on the icon at the bottom of the layers panel that looks like a circle inside of a square)

Another option is to overlay the image ontop of the dress then use one of the blend modes to blend the image into the dress. (the three most important blend modes to learn are the screen, overlay and multiply) These three blend modes affect the white, grey and black colors, playing with the blend modes will show you how these blend modes actually remove the colors making that area transparent. Because they are blend modes they will affect the surrounding shades of grey making it blend.

If you would like more specific directions please post a screen shot of your screen so we can see what your up to. It makes a world of difference on how specific we can be.

• 2. Re: crop and fill with image
            EricaLynneLarson Adobe Employee

Hi there,

Here's a quick tutorial for working with masks to replace patterns and textures in an image.

1) Here's my starting image, and I want to replace the fabric on the pocket of this shirt.

Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 10.40.56 PM.jpg

2) Bring in the pattern you want to incorporate into your original image by copy and pasting or by going to File > Place.

Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 10.41.31 PM.jpg

3) With the pattern layer selected, option + click on the icon marked below to create a mask over the layer. The image will seem to disappear, but this is only because the mask is solid black— black in the mask indicates hidden areas, white areas are where the image will be revealed.

Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 10.47.53 PM.jpg

4) Use the lasso tool to select the area in which you want the pattern to appear.

Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 10.43.06 PM.jpg

5) Being sure the mask is selected in the layers panel, use the paint bucket to fill in the selection area with white. The pattern will appear.

Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 10.43.19 PM.jpg

My next steps would then be to paint on the mask with black to reveal the stitched areas and the button on the pocket. Alternatively, as Silkrooster said, you can experiment with blend modes. Below is the pattern layer set to Multiply. Using this setting would work well if you were placing a pattern over a white or light-colored garment. Good luck!

Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 10.44.07 PM.jpg

• 3. Re: crop and fill with image
              lovemysamsungtoo Level 1

Thank you,  but my question was whether it can be done on ps touch on my new samsung tablet?

Sent from Samsung tablet

• 4. Re: crop and fill with image
                Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Thats why it is best to post the version so that does not happen. I never used ps touch, so I can not help, sorry.

• 6. Re: crop and fill with image
                  kendallplant Adobe Employee

I've moved your question to the Photoshop Touch forum, for more specialized help.

• 7. Re: crop and fill with image
                    janelle_f Adobe Employee

Hello lovemysamsungtoo-

The above effect that EricaLynneLarson outlined can most definitely be replicated in Photoshop Touch for tablet.

The following tutorials outline the desired "photo composite" you want to replicate:

Layers and Selections

Making a photo composite

Please let us know if you have any questions

Janelle