26 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2013 4:31 PM by robains

Any word on CS7?

Is it "soon to be released" or "months away" or "completely unknown"? Any screenshots? Any major fixes/changes?

I personally love the dark UI which all current Adobe apps except for Flash Pro (for some reason) have. I don't really see how they can change it. Pr frankly looked like garbage prior to CS 5.5 (and basically even 5.5 IMO) visually, but I really love the look of CS6.

• 1. Re: Any word on CS7?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

There's plenty of info about 'what' all over the Internet.

http://tv.adobe.com/show/adobe-at-nab-2013/

I've not yet seen anything official about 'when'.  The closest I've found is that something seems to be happening on May 6th.

• 2. Re: Any word on CS7?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

One thing I did find is that Adobe does look to be calling it CS7, and not 6.5.

Go to 4:22 of the following:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-at-nab-2013/adobe-photoshop-for-video-workflows-new-featur es-and-timesaving-tips/

• 3. Re: Any word on CS7?
              Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Adobe does not discuss details of future releases on these forums.

Those who are subject to non-disclosure agreements are legally-prevented from saying anything. Comments posted by members of the public referring to possible release dates are completely without foundation.

• 4. Re: Any word on CS7?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Anything I've said here was found on an Adobe web site or in an Adobe published video.  Beyond that, I really don't know anything.

• 5. Re: Any word on CS7?
                  Evil Edison Level 1

Purely speculation but traditionally Adobe releases an update a month or two after they introduce it so hopefully it won't be long.  And I would pretty much count on it still having the dark interface.

• 6. Re: Any word on CS7?
                    shooternz Level 6

The capability for a user to  alter the "interface" from light to dark has been with us for some time.

• 7. Re: Any word on CS7?
                      ProDesignTools MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Yes, Adobe is hinting there is definitely something big coming on May 6th...

• 8. Re: Any word on CS7?
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        The future, according to some scientists, will be exactly like the past, only far more expensive.
                        • 9. Re: Any word on CS7?
                          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

I used to know stuff and couldn't say. Now I know nothing and speculation is fun. However, I think I would like to go back to knowing stuff again.

I skipped a couple of versions and was politely left off of the "know stuff" list after that.

• 10. Re: Any word on CS7?
                            rnrbt

I thought the whole point of Creative Cloud was that a user no longer had to wait for scheduled updates and instead benefited from updates as they were available... Of course this assumes the updates are ready, but holding on to them and treating their release as a launch event defeats the purpose of being a member, especially if they're ready.

And yes, Adobe did say that was a benefit to being a member; saying it 'doesn't discuss details of future releases' is missing the point.

• 11. Re: Any word on CS7?

It may be that we're in somewhat of an interim period here where both Adobe and customers are getting used to the new model...  So some new features were released as soon as they were ready (for Ps, Dw, Ai), while others are bunched into a big/traditional launch event as people are accustomed.

It will be interesting to see over time whether the whole notion of major releases blurs as minor releases happen all the time through the Cloud.

• 12. Re: Any word on CS7?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

but holding on to them and treating their release as a launch event defeats the purpose of being a member

I thought the same.  Photoshop got some new features already, but PP didn't get anything that the boxed version doesn't have.  Would have been nice to see many of the announced CS Next features made available earlier.  My suspicion is that things changed between then and now, and the decision to drop perpetual liensing altogether was made after Creative Cloud started and the prospect of early features was touted.

• 13. Re: Any word on CS7?
                                  robains Level 1

If "Cloud" means moving to a subscription based product, that's not really much different than what we currently have with Auto updates and yearly "upgrade" costs.  Only change is that "new" features might be released before the year cycle.

I hope "Cloud" doesn't mean converting PP, PS to a feature limited web based application that can NOT utilize all the capabilities of one's hardware because of security restrictions and functional limitations of HTML5.  This might save Adobe a bunch of development expenditure because they would move to a single code path (rather than support both Windows and Mac), but it would cost the end user A LOT of usability and performance and feature limitations.  No Thanks!

If Adobe really are thinking PP and PS can be web based applications, then I'll certainly be looking for alternate "real" applications to run on my hardware and will not subscribe to Adobe Cloud.

• 14. Re: Any word on CS7?
                                    Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No, it's not web based. You just have to "check in" and pay the rent evey month.

• 15. Re: Any word on CS7?
                                      robains Level 1

So long as I'm not cut off (i.e. can't use the software) if I stop paying for updates monthly. 

I hope they go with yearly subscriptions, monthly has statistically failed (in terms of revenue generation) for this type of software ... the model just doesn't work on a monthly basis.  Example: if I stop using the software for 5 months, then decide I want to start using it again ... am I only paying for month OR will I have to pay for the 5 months I stopped using it?  In other words, monthly gets ugly real fast, difficult to manage, consumers don't like it, and revenue drops.

Monthly subscriptions work well for web based applications, but doesn't work for standard application that run local ... those really only work on yearly subscriptions ... tons of industry data to back this up, hopefully Adobe are aware.

• 16. Re: Any word on CS7?
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

You will not be able to use the software if you end your subscription.

You can get a monthly subscription, a yearly subscription paid monthly, or a yearly subscription paid in advance (this last from resellers only, I believe).

All applications are installed to and run from your local hard drive.

http://terrywhite.com/5-myths-about-adobe-creative-cloud/

• 17. Re: Any word on CS7?

robains wrote:

Example: if I stop using the software for 5 months, then decide I want to start using it again ... am I only paying for month OR will I have to pay for the 5 months I stopped using it?

With Adobe's month-to-month CC plans you only pay for the months that you use the software, and can flexibly stop and start whenever you want.

So in your example, you would only pay for a month and not pay for the 5 months you stopped using it.

• 18. Re: Any word on CS7?
                                            robains Level 1

Jim Simon wrote:

You will not be able to use the software if you end your subscription.

Pretty sure (99%) that's NOT going to work for Adobe if history of this method is anything of a reference point.  This approach has been done before (by many other companies) and has failed in just about ever instance.

Can't stress enough how much Month-to-Month is going to be bad for Adobe.  Month to month is just NOT a good fit for this type of software.

The pay every month for a yearly subscription might work (assuming cancellation doesn't terminate monthly payments of the yearly subscription), but hard to say, no one has really ever done that before.

I think what you'll see happen is many (not all) existing customer base stop with CS6 because it puts a huge stress on the need to provide "regular new features" when you move to month-to-month ... if those features aren't significant enough then people just stop paying.  It's difficult to developer significant must have new features every month to keep a customer base "interested".

• 19. Re: Any word on CS7?
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

Month to month is just NOT a good fit for this type of software.

Adobe's been doing it for a year now.  Seems to be working fine.

It's difficult to developer significant must have new features every month to keep a customer base "interested".

I'd be very surprised if any one program got a new feature every month.  I don't believe that is Adobe's plan at all.  You don't pay your monthly fee to get the new feature each month, you pay it because you need to keep using the software to produce.

• 20. Re: Any word on CS7?
                                                bfbkn

Actually, depending on which versions you compare (say, a user looking to buy CS6, or a user only looking to own Photoshop, or suite upgrades), it's actually cheaper to go the Creative Cloud route.

Quote:

"Over that three-year period, Master Collection and an upgrade would be about $2,644. The Creative Cloud subscription is $1,800. Slam dunk.

"Another case is someone who uses just a single title -- Photoshop, most obviously.

"That costs $818 for a new version and an upgrade, compared to $720 for a single-product subscription over three years..."

Taken from http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57583370-92/how-greedy-is-adobes-creative-cloud-subscript ion-not-very/

For me, it's much cheaper and always current — and since I'm using it for freelance work, it's a small monthly cost that more than pays for itself in projects.

• 21. Re: Any word on CS7?
                                                  robains Level 1

Jim Simon wrote:

Month to month is just NOT a good fit for this type of software.

Adobe's been doing it for a year now.  Seems to be working fine.

How's that possible?  End of software licensing of CS was only terminated this May?  You can't really say "seems to be working fine" for a year when BOTH license processes were available.  Lets see what happens from "now" onwards before declaring anything a "success".

Most of us can produce just fine without CC and have been doing so ... I know my CS6 suite is working and doing everything I need it to do today ... nothing stopping it from working or from getting updates.

Like I said, CC will need to bring something significant to the table if they want people to follow the month-to-month subscription (aka CC).

• 22. Re: Any word on CS7?
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

You can't really say "seems to be working fine" for a year when BOTH license processes were available.

That's the point.  The Creative Cloud has been available for about a year.  It's been working fine as a licensing model since.

• 23. Re: Any word on CS7?
                                                      robains Level 1

I never doubted the subscription model is more cost effective for those of us that do the upgrades every year (or product cycle) ... but I doubt we're a majority.  I keep my own personal license of CS updated every cycle, however, my company does NOT ... still on CS4.

There is NO business justification to move from CS4 ... attempting to force my company into a subscription will not happen.  However, going from CS4 to CS7 (had Adobe retained the perpetual software license) was in the budget, CS4 to CC required a business justification for the long term expenditure ... none could be made.  I don't think this is "uncommon" from businesses.

• 24. Re: Any word on CS7?
                                                        Jim_Simon Level 8

There is NO business justification to move from CS4

Actually with the advances since CS4, like 64 bit code, Mercury Playback Engine, GPU acceleration and the myriad of features that have been added, production time can be significantly decreased per project when upgrading to CS6 (and even more with the forthcoming CC), so a pretty strong business argument can be made for the upgrade.

• 25. Re: Any word on CS7?
                                                          robains Level 1

From Wiki:

In May 2013, Adobe Systems announced plans to end perpetual software licensing for its Creative Suite products in favor of a subscription-based service model called Creative Cloud, which had been introduced as an alternative licensing model in May 2012. Shifting to a software as a service model, Adobe announced more frequent feature updates to its products and the eschewing of their traditional release cycles.[65]

This shift has been met with mixed reviews by both corporations and independent designers, with many people expressing their displeasure on the web[66][67] and through multiple internet petitions calling upon Adobe to continue selling creative software under the perpetual licensing model.[68] Among these were a Change.org petition which reached over 20,000 signatures in two weeks' time.[69][70][71] College officials expressed their concern with the new licensing terms, worried about rising costs and have asked about switching to alternative products.[72]

Adobe VP of Creative Solutions responded that they "expected a higher degree of this type of reaction from the hobbyist photographic community".[73] Despite a storm of customer criticism over Adobe's move to subscription-only pricing,[74] the company anounced that it would not sell perpetual licenses to its software alongside the subscriptions - "We understand this is a big change, but we are so focused on the vision we shared for Creative Cloud, and we plan to focus all our new innovation on the Creative Cloud".[75]

Creative Cloud has been criticized for problems with file syncing, one of its core features.[76][77] In May 2013 Adobe announced that it was suspending the file-sync desktop preview "for the next couple of weeks".[76]

Creative Cloud has been also criticized for its Terms of Use, a license agreement that according to the critics rises issues with privacy, predictability and fairness for the customer.[78][79]

Not sure I'd say "working fine"  

We'll see what happens -- why Adobe felt this move necessary is the more worrying aspect for me.

• 26. Re: Any word on CS7?
                                                            robains Level 1

Business argument will depend on what one is doing ... so far, we've not been able to justify the need to go beyond a 32bit address space.  Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have 64bit address space, but we've never "needed" a 64bit address space.  CS4 has GPU acceleration.

One needs to provide Metrics to make the business justification.