19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2007 6:35 PM by Newsgroup_User

Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation

jeremyhein
      Anyone know if it's possible to remove firework's canvas size limit? I have a friend who loves to use fireworks for graphics design and he says that it has a canvas size limit of around 8ft, but he likes to design really large images and doesn't want to switch to another product. He contacted me because I do some development, but I think this may be out of my league. He is willing to pay for any help to this problem. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
          Level 7
          Illustrator ;)

jeremyhein wrote:
          > Anyone know if it's possible to remove firework's canvas size limit? I have a
          > friend who loves to use fireworks for graphics design and he says that it has a
          > canvas size limit of around 8ft, but he likes to design really large images and
          > doesn't want to switch to another product. He contacted me because I do some
          > development, but I think this may be out of my league. He is willing to pay for
          > any help to this problem. Thanks.
          >
          • 2. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
            Level 7
            dave prescott wrote:
            > Illustrator ;)

Exactly. If you want to work with large canvases for print purposes,
            Fireworks is completely the wrong tool for the job. Fireworks was
            designed for the creation of screen/web graphics. It isn't and was never
            meant to be a complete graphic design solution.

Furthermore, Fireworks only deals in pixels. Inches, feet and other
            physical world measurements are irrelevant in Fireworks.

--
            Stéphane Bergeron
            reach:connect:communicate
            www.webfocusdesign.com
            blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
            www.pixelyzed.com
            • 3. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
              Level 7
              Illustrator ;)

jeremyhein wrote:
              > Anyone know if it's possible to remove firework's canvas size limit? I have a
              > friend who loves to use fireworks for graphics design and he says that it has a
              > canvas size limit of around 8ft, but he likes to design really large images and
              > doesn't want to switch to another product. He contacted me because I do some
              > development, but I think this may be out of my league. He is willing to pay for
              >
              • 4. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                Level 7

> Anyone know if it's possible to remove firework's canvas size limit? I
                > have a
                > friend who loves to use fireworks for graphics design and he says that it
                > has a
                > canvas size limit of around 8ft, but he likes to design really large
                > images and
                > doesn't want to switch to another product. He contacted me because I do
                > some
                > development, but I think this may be out of my league. He is willing to
                > pay for

As others have stated Fireworks is for on-screen graphics.

However, there's not usually a need to work at 100% in most software. If
                he's printing a 20' bilboard, he doesn't actually have to work with a
                document that's actualy 20'. a 2' document scaled up when going to print
                would work just as well provided the resolution of the image is adequate.

-Darrel

• 5. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                  jeremyhein Level 1
                  Thank you for your responses. I understand that fireworks is not made for large scale graphics and I understand that fireworks deals in pixels. Unfortunately, my friend is not willing to use another program. Does anyone know if it's possible to make fireworks work with unusually large canvas sizes?
                  • 6. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                    Level 7
                    jeremyhein wrote:
                    > Thank you for your responses. I understand that fireworks is not made for large
                    > scale graphics and I understand that fireworks deals in pixels. Unfortunately,
                    > my friend is not willing to use another program. Does anyone know if it's
                    > possible to make fireworks work with unusually large canvas sizes?

It is not. The limitation is 6000 pixels in either dimension

--
                    Linda Rathgeber [PVII] *Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks*
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.projectseven.com
                    Fireworks Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/fireworks/
                    CSS Newsgroup: news://forums.projectseven.com/css/
                    http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    • 7. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                      Level 7
                      Your friend is going to have to get used to the fact that he needs to use
                      the right tool for the job.

Although he may be comfortable with Fireworks, in this case, Fireworks is
                      not the right tool for this job and there are no simple workarounds.

--
                      Regards

John Waller

• 8. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                        Level 7
                        John Waller wrote:
                        > Your friend is going to have to get used to the fact that he needs to use
                        > the right tool for the job.
                        >
                        > Although he may be comfortable with Fireworks, in this case, Fireworks is
                        > not the right tool for this job and there are no simple workarounds.

Exactly. There is no simple or even not so simple workarounds. He'll
                        have no choice but to accept that he needs to use another more suitable
                        application.

--
                        Stéphane Bergeron
                        www.webfocusdesign.com
                        www.pixelyzed.com
                        • 9. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                          Level 7
                          On the other hand, Fireworks may do very well in drafting up samples or
                          proposed designs to clients without sending grossly large files.

So it could, especially if the person is really very good with FW, cater
                          for a creative synergy before committing to a major design work using,
                          of course, an application that really is best suited to the project.
                          • 10. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                            Level 7
                            deebs wrote:
                            > On the other hand, Fireworks may do very well in drafting up samples or
                            > proposed designs to clients without sending grossly large files.
                            >
                            > So it could, especially if the person is really very good with FW, cater
                            > for a creative synergy before committing to a major design work using,
                            > of course, an application that really is best suited to the project.

But even then, a major re-work may be needed in the application that
                            will create the real final work files. Seems like wasted efforts to me
                            to start in FW and have to finish or even re-do it completely elsewhere.

Using the right tool for the job really is a matter of basic common sense.

--
                            Stéphane Bergeron
                            www.webfocusdesign.com
                            www.pixelyzed.com
                            • 11. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                              Level 7
                              True, true.

In this case I was thinking of the user's skills and preference in FW.

Matching a final/approved design in a new or totally new application is
                              tough but an equally great way to learn.

The person will probably be quite an expert at switching between both
                              apps by the time the project has finished.

Stéphane Bergeron wrote:
                              > deebs wrote:
                              >> On the other hand, Fireworks may do very well in drafting up samples
                              >> or proposed designs to clients without sending grossly large files.
                              >>
                              >> So it could, especially if the person is really very good with FW,
                              >> cater for a creative synergy before committing to a major design work
                              >> using, of course, an application that really is best suited to the
                              >> project.
                              >
                              > But even then, a major re-work may be needed in the application that
                              > will create the real final work files. Seems like wasted efforts to me
                              > to start in FW and have to finish or even re-do it completely elsewhere.
                              >
                              > Using the right tool for the job really is a matter of basic common sense.
                              >
                              • 12. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                                jeremyhein Level 1
                                Thanks again for the responses. My friend said that he was was told by someone from Adobe that he could get a developer to modify the program for him and that people do this all the time. Can anyone clarify whether or not this is possible? He's willing to pay for the development time as this is something that would be extremely helpful for him.
                                • 13. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                                  Level 7
                                  > He's willing to pay for the development time as this is something
                                  > that would be extremely helpful for him.

I imagine that if you toss 7 figures at Adobe, they'd consider it.

But it sure sounds like you have one stubborn friend.

It's like me asking and paying Ford to modify their Focus to enable me to
                                  hall sheets of plywood instead of me just going out and buying a Ranger. ;o)

-Darrel

• 14. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                                    Level 7
                                    jeremyhein wrote:
                                    > Thanks again for the responses. My friend said that he was was told
                                    > by someone from Adobe that he could get a developer to modify the
                                    > program for him and that people do this all the time.

Sounds like BS to me. Adobe development resources are stretched enough
                                    as it is that I really doubt they would spend any time to "customize" an
                                    application that is already this far from being the right tool for the
                                    job... and just for one customer? Very unlikely.

> Can anyone clarify whether or not this is possible? He's willing to
                                    > pay for the development time as this is something that would be
                                    > extremely helpful for him.

Sorry to be blunt but your friend should buy a clue instead... Fireworks
                                    is NOT the application he should be using for the task you described,
                                    period, end of story. I'm a huge Fireworks fan myself... for the purpose
                                    it was designed for. It really doesn't have any feature that is so
                                    uniquely powerful that anyone should be compelled to chosse it over much
                                    more appropriate alternatives that would take little time to learn. He's
                                    wasting his time sticking with Fireworks for this.

--
                                    Stéphane Bergeron
                                    www.webfocusdesign.com
                                    www.pixelyzed.com
                                    • 15. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                                      Level 7
                                      He's willing to pay for the development time as this is something
                                      > that would be extremely helpful for him.

So why not purchase Illustrator (or even the Creative Suite) at the fraction
                                      of the cost of the mythical developer (urban legend) he's heard about and do
                                      the job with the correct tool?

If he'd done that a week ago, the project would be finished by now and he
                                      would have an expanded skillset.

--
                                      Regards

John Waller

• 16. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                                        Level 7
                                        John Waller wrote:
                                        > He's willing to pay for the development time as this is something
                                        >> that would be extremely helpful for him.
                                        >
                                        > So why not purchase Illustrator (or even the Creative Suite) at the fraction
                                        > of the cost of the mythical developer (urban legend) he's heard about and do
                                        > the job with the correct tool?
                                        >
                                        > If he'd done that a week ago, the project would be finished by now and he
                                        > would have an expanded skillset.

Exactly. And he he would be providing a quality native or PDF file to
                                        his printer in the correct CMYK color space (which Fireworks does not
                                        support... at all) and at the right physical dimensions without ugly
                                        workarounds. Because that is the other part of the equation: the
                                        printer. I work two jobs myself and one of them is at a printing
                                        company. It has never happened to us yet but if we were supplied a
                                        native Fireworks file for a print job, we'd either reject it outright or
                                        charge for re-doing it in Illustrator because the Fireworks file would
                                        be unusable to produce films (we do screen printing). Any professional
                                        printer (even one with a 100% digital workflow) would do the same.

--
                                        Stéphane Bergeron
                                        www.webfocusdesign.com
                                        www.pixelyzed.com
                                        • 17. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                                          jeremyhein Level 1
                                          Thanks again for all your responses. Yes, I do have a stubborn friend, but I understand because I'm also very stubborn which is why I write a lot of my own software.
                                          • 18. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                                            Level 7
                                            jeremyhein wrote:
                                            > Thanks again for all your responses. Yes, I do have a stubborn
                                            > friend, but I understand because I'm also very stubborn which is why
                                            > I write a lot of my own software.

I'm actually a very stubborn guy myself so I get that... but I'm mostly
                                            a pragmatist. One of the things I hate the most is wasting my time, and
                                            trying to use the wrong tool for a job like this is exactly that... a
                                            waste of time and ultimately, money. His stubbornness in this matter is
                                            probably hurting his bottom line as well as his client's.

I'd be curious to know what exactly he finds in Fireworks that is so
                                            compelling that he wants to use it above much more appropriate tools.
                                            Illustrator, InDesign or even FreeHand all have features that would make
                                            his job a lot easier than trying to do it in Fireworks. Furthermore, the
                                            assets he'd create in any of those apps would be much more easily
                                            re-usable in other mediums. Also, why isn't he posting in this forum
                                            himself?

--
                                            Stéphane Bergeron
                                            reach : connect : communicate
                                            http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                                            blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                                            http://www.pixelyzed.com
                                            • 19. Re: Fireworks Canvas Size Limitation
                                              Level 7
                                              not so simple (fiarly rediculous) workaround:

make several 6000x6000 pixel images in FW and stich them together in
                                              illustrator (or whatever) later. It's a dumb idea, but if your friend is
                                              THAT stubborn about it...

Seriously though, take the advice of everyone else who has chimed in
                                              already... using the right tool will always save time/money/energy in the
                                              long run

Alex

"Stéphane Bergeron" <new@webfocusdesign.com> wrote in message
                                              news:fggnar$le3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                              > John Waller wrote:
                                              >> Your friend is going to have to get used to the fact that he needs to use
                                              >> the right tool for the job.
                                              >>
                                              >> Although he may be comfortable with Fireworks, in this case, Fireworks is
                                              >> not the right tool for this job and there are no simple workarounds.
                                              >
                                              > Exactly. There is no simple or even not so simple workarounds. He'll have
                                              > no choice but to accept that he needs to use another more suitable
                                              > application.
                                              >
                                              > --
                                              > Stéphane Bergeron
                                              > reach:connect:communicate
                                              > www.webfocusdesign.com
                                              > blog:tutorials:articles:gallery
                                              > www.pixelyzed.com