2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2013 2:04 AM by Fuzzy Barsik

Problems with mp4 (h.264) files, colour desaturated.

FINALLIGHT2

Hey guys. I've been having problems with mp4 h.264 files (not quicktime h.264). When playback on windows media player and windows classic media player it looks terrible. the saturation are weird (espesially on colours like yellow and red) and there seems to be this weird blur on the image. For so long I thought there was problem with the export from Premiere Pro, today however when playback on Quicktime player or VLC player it matches the orginal. I exported the file through premiere pro. I don't know what the problem is, maybe it's just the playback on windows media player and window classic media player.

Playback on quicktime

Untitled-1.jpg

Playback on media player

Untitled-2.jpg

Can someone tell me what's going on?

• 1. Re: Problems with mp4 (h.264) files, colour desaturated.
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Can someone tell me what's going on?

Yes.  You're using a computer monitor and a software player to judge the quality of a video signal.  You can't do that.  Players, graphics drivers and even the operating system can and often do alter the signal.  Plus, most computer monitors not only aren't, but actually can't be properly calibrated.

To judge the quality of your video, you must see it accurately, and the only way to ensure that is to get it off the computer and onto a properly calibrated TV.

• 2. Re: Problems with mp4 (h.264) files, colour desaturated.
            Fuzzy Barsik Level 4
            When playback on windows media player and windows classic media player it looks terrible. the saturation are weird (espesially on colours like yellow and red) and there seems to be this weird blur on the image... when playback on Quicktime player or VLC player it matches the orginal...

On the contrary, with more than high probability playback in QuirkTime shows you wrong colours because of its crooked colour management.

How do you judge on colour matching between your source file and what you see in media players?

What is your spec and GPU in particular? Do you use any sort of colour management in its settings?