12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2013 11:20 PM by CiscoRey

Photoshop not detecting OpenGL?

CiscoRey

Sometime early yesterday I realized that one of my partitions had suddenly disappeared--along with the 300 gigs of space allocated to it. Rather than search high and low for a reason or a solution to the problem, I decided to just perform a clean factory install of my system and start over.

After applying all the Windows updates I could possibly find, I reinstall my Creative Cloud apps (including Ps, Ai, and Id). For whatever reason, I can't get any of my OpenGL features to work now--they worked just fine before the reinstall. When I visit Edit > Preferences > Performance > Advanced Settings in Photoshop I see Drawing Mode set to "Basic" and grayed out, which also grays out the check boxes for "Use Graphics Processor to Accelerate Computation" and "Use OpenCL."

I've downloaded the latest drivers I could find from both the graphics card manufacturer and the OEM. I even installed a utility called OpenGL Extensions Viewer, which helped determine that I'm running OpenGL ver 2.1. I'm truly baffled at this point.

System Info.png

• 1. Re: Photoshop not detecting OpenGL?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Well, what graphics hardware is it actually? What screen res and other settings? What operating system?

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Photoshop not detecting OpenGL?
            CiscoRey Level 1

It's running Intel HD Graphics, 1600 x 900 res (32-bit color depth), Windows 7 64-bit. Here's a bit more from the System Info dialog:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 13.1.2 (13.1.2 20130105.r.224 2013/01/05:23:00:00) x64

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:5, Stepping:2 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 2

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 2261 MHz

Built-in memory: 3893 MB

Free memory: 2549 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 3287 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 60 %

Image tile size: 128K

Image cache levels: 4

OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Basic

OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: False.

OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: False.

OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.

OpenCL Unavailable

OpenGL Version: 2.1

Video Rect Texture Size: 4096

OpenGL Memory: 1722 MB

Video Card Vendor: Intel

Video Card Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics

Display: 1

Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=900, right=1600

Video Card Number: 1

Video Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

Driver Version: 8.15.10.2104

Driver Date: 20100331000000.000000-000

Video Card Driver: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32

Video Mode: 1600 x 900 x 4294967296 colors

Video Card Caption: Intel(R) HD Graphics

Video Card Memory: 1722 MB

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\

Temporary file path: C:\Users\---\AppData\Local\Temp\

Photoshop scratch has async I/O enabled

Scratch volume(s):

C:\, 155.9G, 106.8G free

Required Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Required\

Primary Plug-ins folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\

Additional Plug-ins folder: not set

• 3. Re: Photoshop not detecting OpenGL?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Is the device properly listed as working in your device manager? also, did it ever work before applying the 13.1.x update and installing just the default CS6 version?

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Photoshop not detecting OpenGL?
                CiscoRey Level 1

Status within device manager reads "This device is working properly." A bit uncertain as to whetther or not OpenGL was working prior to updates. I honestly don't ever recall a time when scrubby zoom and flick panning wasn't available to me--in fact, I'm certain I was using scrubby zoom in CS5.

It's a bit odd that prior to my OS reinstall, everything worked seamlessly--without me having to give thought to searching for, or manual installations of, drivers. Now that I'm slightly more conscious of the requirement I can't get it to work.

Is it possible that there can be something within the registry that restricts applications from making use of OpenGL?

• 5. Re: Photoshop not detecting OpenGL?
                  CiscoRey Level 1

Just uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop. Now my OpenGL features work! Interestly enough, the settings under Preferences > Performance are exactly as they were before, except now I'm running ver. 13 and not 13.1. Weird.

Any thoughts?

• 6. Re: Photoshop not detecting OpenGL?
                    Level 7

You need to reinstall the updates.

Photoshop adds detection for known problems with each release, which might disable some drivers (note that yours was last updated in 2010) with known bugs.

Odds are that you just need to install the new driver from Intel's website.

• 7. Re: Photoshop not detecting OpenGL?
                      CiscoRey Level 1

Installed 13.1 update and the features are gone again. I'm heading over to Intel's site now to see what the latest driver is--though I thought I had already installed what was available. Oh, that brings up another concern. Should I be looking for the update on Intel's site or the OEM's site?

• 8. Re: Photoshop not detecting OpenGL?
                        Level 7

Always the GPU maker's site, never the OEM or system integrator's site (unless you're stuck with a locked down Sony).

• 9. Re: Photoshop not detecting OpenGL?
                          CiscoRey Level 1

Okay, this is the current situation. I visit Intel's site and allow it to run the driver update utility. It scans my system and returns this concerning my graphics:

Product DetectedIntel® HD Graphics
                          Current Driver Installed8.15.10.2104
                          A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel Driver Update Utility is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact yourcomputer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer

I thought perhaps to disregard this and search the site for an update anyway--more so because my OEM is Dell and the latest driver they feature is exactly the same 2010 year one listed above. So I come across Win7Vista_64_152258.exe on Intel's site. Upon install I get a message saying the driver isn't validated for my system. I don't know what driver is at this point. I'm working with an i5-430 M. That's a "previous generation core processor" which I'm assuming is the same as a "1st generation core processor"?

Any ideas as to which driver exactly it is that I'm looking for?

• 10. Re: Photoshop not detecting OpenGL?
                            CiscoRey Level 1

It appears that there is nothing particularly wrong with my hardware. I'm on the phone with Adobe tech support now and after some troubleshooting and running dxdiag we've come to conclude that the hardware appears capable and enabled--even with a seemingly old 2010 driver (which the OEM figures to be "current"). Software bug perhaps? I'm being asked to submit System Information feedback for both 13.0 and 13.1. I suppose I'll relay the verdict in a few days or so.

• 11. Re: Photoshop not detecting OpenGL?
                              Level 7

Not a software bug - something is wrong with your driver, else GL would be enabled.

Again, you need to update that driver.

• 12. Re: Photoshop not detecting OpenGL?
                                CiscoRey Level 1

I was finally able to update the driver. All seems to be in good working order--PS 13.1 included. Imagine just how much energy could've been saved if only I was informed that the OEM's driver must be manually uninstalled before attempting the install of the generic driver.