• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

See Also Instruction Sought

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2007 Oct 30, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I have read the help file, I must be missing something. I am trying to add see also groupings for my topic. So far I have created the see also control, I have added a see also text? to the topic properties tab but I have been unable to determine how to link the item I listed as the see also to a particular topic.

I know i have had a fair number of questions, I am new to this software after a year or two away without ever having has much experience to begin with. I appreciate your patience and thank you in advance for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry about all the questions. That is what these forums are for and we have all been there at some point and can remember what it was like. The way see also entries work is this:

1. Add a see also keyword to a topic.
2. Enter another topic.
3. Create a See Also control and select the keyword entered in step 1.

Basically when you click on the See Also control in a topic, all the topics to which you have assigned the keyword in it's properties are displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Colum. Is that an English (UK) name? Anyhow I believe I have done what you outlined. I think what was throwing me off if that I thought I should be able to link the topic as is done with inserting a hyperlink; select a topic from an existing list but if I understand you , I just type in a topic to cross reference.

I have done this but in previewing that page clicking the see also presents a message indicating that the selection is not associated with any topics. I am uncertain if I am doing something wrong or perhaps there is a compilation of some sort that needs to occur before this works?

Thanks,
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

English! ENGLISH!!!! Pah! I'm Irish begorrah! At least I was until my parents moved to England when I was knee high to a lehrechaun
Anyway you'll have to compile before you see the change. The see also link works differently to a hyperlink as it displays topics that have the attachec keyword. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the leprechauns carried on growing. 🙂

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

Perhaps I might offer some insight here. I see that Colum correctly indicated the basic steps, but there seems to be a bit of confusion. I think I may know why.

Here are my own basic steps.

1. Create See Also keywords
2. Assign them to topics
3. Insert See Also controls that point to the keywords

Here is where you are probably confused. How exactly to define and assign the See Also keywords. You should be doing this using the Index designer. So click the Index tab (hoping here you are using version 6 or older-please advise if you are using 7, as the process may be a tad different and need further explanation)

From the Index tab, look at the top of the Index designer and you see a drop-down that you click and have two choices. Index and See Also. If you choose See Also, the main part of the Index designer changes. Once there, you add See Also keywords. You then display the Topic list on the right side and drag desired topics from the list on the right, into the Topics For area at the bottom of the See Also designer.

After you do this, your See Also control insertion should be pretty straightforward.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been looking at my "Book of Irish Curses" and this is one of the least offensive ones...

..."The treatment of the boiled broken little fish to you "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colum, I lived in Ireland for two years and never heard that one. Sometimes I heard the more colorful side of the Irish vocabulary. I was in Dublin when they delayed the St. Patrick's Day parade in 2001, so I missed it...

--Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Well aren't we a fun group! Thank you Colum and RoboWizard (nice name btw), I think that should fill in the missing piece.

Thanks again!
May your clovers always be green

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp