13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 15, 2013 1:47 AM by ltj22

Converting Raw to DNG files Canon EOS M

ltj22

I have the new Canon Eos M and cannot convert Raw CR2 files to PNG I have downloaded version 7.3 and the latest, but still cannot see the raw cr2 files to convert to dng in the directory I have for the conversion, I have also tried to convert in same directory, anyone else have an EOS M and converted?? Thx Len

• 1. Re: Converting Raw to DNG files Canon EOS M
          RASouthworth Level 3

The EOS M is listed as being covered, starting with 7.3 I believe..  One common point of confusion using the DNG converter - you point it at a folder, not at individual files.  Select a folder in the open dialog and it will convert all compatible raw files it finds within the folder.

Richard Southworth

• 2. Re: Converting Raw to DNG files Canon EOS M
            ltj22 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, as stated this is what I have done, it just does not see the files in the folder, the folder is empty!!!.

Len

• 3. Re: Converting Raw to DNG files Canon EOS M
              RASouthworth Level 3

At the risk of being redundant, it's still not clear to me what you're saying - the DNG converter will never "see" the files inside the folder at the time you invoke the program, the DNG converter does not work with or show individual files..  It's only after it has processed a folder that the file names show up inside the DNG converter.

Assuming you have aimed and run the converter on a standalone folder, and none of the files within the folder were converted, then you should provide some more information as to system, Photoshop version, etc.  Again, don't want to be insulting, but have you verified the files are not corrupt by opening then within ACR or Lightroom?  May not be possible if you're using an older version, but still need to ask.  Time to give us some info to work with.

Richard Southworth

• 4. Re: Converting Raw to DNG files Canon EOS M
                ltj22 Level 1

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the help, I may be doing this all wrong and I do apologise in advance, let me tell what I do. If this is wrong can you PLEASE PLEASE tell me how to do it, this is so frustrating. I am running Photoshop Elements.

1 I have downloaded DNG 7.3

2 I have installed the program

3 I go to the folder and click on the DNG converter and up comes a box the Adobe Digital Negative Converter with options to complete.

4 1, Select folder which I do 2, Save in same location 3, select name for converted images and file ext .dng 4, preferences/change preferences.

5 Extract, I press extract and up comes another box Extract originals 1 Select a folder 2 select a folder to save extracted originals to which takes me back to 3 I try to open the folder and its empty.

Please tell am I doing this all wrong.

Thanks for any help

Len

• 5. Re: Converting Raw to DNG files Canon EOS M
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use Convert not Extract.

Extract is NOT part of converting RAWs to DNGs.  It extracts an embedded raw from a DNG that has previously been created by the DNG Converter with the option to embed the original.

After you have selected your input folder and your conversion options you should use Convert.

• 6. Re: Converting Raw to DNG files Canon EOS M
                    ltj22 Level 1

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, yes I saw the convert, and was wondering if that was the way to go, but that is greyed out, only extract is available.

Apart from that am I doing this right so far???

Len

• 7. Re: Converting Raw to DNG files Canon EOS M
                      RASouthworth Level 3

Ok, let's set up a test case, I have done so with screen shots.

1. Created a new folder someplace convenient, preferably on the desktop.  I have done so and named it Test.  I copied one raw file and pasted into the Test folder.

2. Fire up the DNG converter, I am using 7.4 but should be the same, and set the parameters as per my first screenshot.

3. Press Convert and the program operates, finished with the second screenshot.

4. Press Ok and it goes back to the DNG starting screen.

5. Open the folder and now the original raw file is there plus a new .dng file.

I suggest you set up a similar experiment, copying a raw file you know is good, see if you can make it work on this simple test case.

Richard Southworth

Added by edit - You should install DNG Converter 7.4, just to make sure you have EOS M compatibility.

DNG Step 1.jpg

DNG Step 2.jpg

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Converting Raw to DNG files Canon EOS M
                        ltj22 Level 1

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your help it’s very much appreciated.

I have installed 7.4 made a folder on desk top copied 1 CR2 file to there

I run the DNG converter program and get the first screen like you have.

I select desktop folder, nothing happens, yours goes to C:\...... mine stays where it is on the opening box.

As I mentioned in my last post, convert is greyed out only the extract is showing.

This is very frustrating.

Just to add I have been shooting with Raw and Jpg, the Jpg is fine also raw on it's own, I have converted the Raw CR2 file in the Canon program all ok, but that program is about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike. I want to use my PS program!!!!!!

Thanks -Len

• 9. Re: Converting Raw to DNG files Canon EOS M
                          RASouthworth Level 3

I have a strong sense of deja vu, this problem has come up before.  I believe it has to do with permissions, the DNG Converter program is not allowed to select the target folder.  Unfortunately, I don't remember other details or the cure.

Time to provide system info, are you running on a Mac or PC?  Which OS? etc.  If it's a Mac, I seem to remember you should do a get info on the application and make sure it has read/write capability.

Maybe somebody else will remember how to fix this, in the meantime please provide info.

Richard Southworth

• 10. Re: Converting Raw to DNG files Canon EOS M
                            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would assume you’re on Windows 7 or 8.

If you are logged in as an Administrator user on the computer, then right-click on the DNG Converter shortcut and choose Run as Administrator.  That should mostly get rid of permission issues.  If you are not an Administrator then that could be a problem.

You might also create your test folder on the root of C: like c:\test and put your CR2 in there and redo the test.

• 11. Re: Converting Raw to DNG files Canon EOS M
                              ltj22 Level 1

Hi both, You cracked it!!!!

Nice try gents……I liked and tried the Run as admin, but alas no luck when I click on the test folder on the desktop it says no files selected, back to square one!!! I copied the file to c:\Test opened the Adobe DNG converter box and pointed to C:\Test and it came up the same no files selected.

But But But wait I hear you say…..I got rid of C:\Test and just moved the file to C:\ and opened Adobe again and pointed on select folder, it came up C:\ so I clicked convert, but came up with write error permission when trying to convert it, so I closed and started again this time I clicked on Run as admin first and success it worked, I now have a way of converting Raw files, albeit in the route of C:\ Why would it not let me use a folder??? Anyway I don’t care…. you sorted this for me I can now convert……

Thank you both for your help I would never have done this without you.

PS Running Windows Vista

Thanks again enjoy your week ahead -Len

• 12. Re: Converting Raw to DNG files Canon EOS M
                                RASouthworth Level 3

I did a little research, not sure but I think an earlier instance of this problem had to do with Vista.

I believe you can make life a little simpler on yourself by creating a subfolder under the same folder that holds the Adobe DNG Converter.exe file, and then copying your raw files into this new folder.  I believe the permissions will be proper for that to work.  And you should not have to run as Administrator, although there's no disadvantage to doing so.

Good luck,

Richard Southworth

• 13. Re: Converting Raw to DNG files Canon EOS M
                                  ltj22 Level 1

Thanks for all your help Richard, I will try that, but a least I can now convert!!

Len