5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2013 5:32 PM by Steve Grisetti

Video Format Question (AVCHD vs AVI)

LMVideo Level 1

I know this may sound like a "duh" basic question but here goes...

I've been shooting video with a Panasonic DV Camcorder  (PV-GS80).

(records to MiniDV tape)

I upload (.avi) to the Project (capture) via a fire wire connection.

Now I have a JVC Everio AVCHD Camcorder (GZ-E10BU).

(records to SD card)

If I upload to the PC via USB, and the camera software, format is .mts

What are my options for using video from both camcorders in the same project?

I also have a Canopus ADVC110 capture box that I could use to bring the video in (via S-Video or AV cables)

Or, I could create a DVD from the JVC footage and upload to a project that way.

Still putting together a computer for my new copy of PE 11 so I haven't checked out the options for Project formats.

(guessing that I can't mix ,mts and .avi formats into the same project).

Thank you,

John

• 1. Re: Video Format Question (AVCHD vs AVI)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

With version 11, you can use both formats in the same project -- even though the AVI is only 720x480 and AVCHD is 1920x1080. But, naturally, if your miniDV is set up to shoot in 4:3 rather than 16:9 widescreen, it will not fill the frame the same way that 16:9 high-def video does.

The challenge is that Premeire Elements 11 automatically sets up your project based on the first videro you load to your timeline -- so you need to decide if your video is going to be a high-def or a standard definition project and then force the program to work in that format. (The program can rez-down high-def to standard definition, but if you try to work in high-def the miniDV footage will look over-rezzed or blurry.)

How do you ultimately plan to Publish & Share your video? On DVD? BluRay? Online? To an iPad or smartphone? That will determine which format and resolution your should force your project settings to.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Video Format Question (AVCHD vs AVI)
            LMVideo Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thx for the quick response.

You confirmed what I suspected...

With the Panasonic miniDV camcorder, the video is Standard Defintion (.avi)

With the JVC HD camcorder, the video is in High Deifnition (.mts)

My primary output is to DVD (things like little league baseball, family & wedding videos). Haven't really got into the BlueRay thing yet. Standard DVD is fine (so far).

So, if I continue to use both camcorders, I will set the project to Standard Defintion. I realize I'll lose the HD quality but for what I'm doing right now, I'm not sure the difference would be noticed. At least I can still upload video from both camcorders to the same project.

Next up:  Get your Premiere Elements 11 book  

Thanks again!

John

• 3. Re: Video Format Question (AVCHD vs AVI)
              LMVideo Level 1

Also, my Panasonic DV Camcorder  (PV-GS80) has options to shoot in 4:3 or 16:9 format.

John

• 4. Re: Video Format Question (AVCHD vs AVI)
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

With the dv camera shoot in 16;9 as HD is always widescreen.

Or you would have to cut of the sides if you deside to go for 4;3.

and you will see the difference between DV and SD (or down converted) shot with a HD camera.

• 5. Re: Video Format Question (AVCHD vs AVI)
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also, when you're ready to start your new project, go to File/New Project and, no the New Project panel, select Settings. Select the preset for widescreen DV, then click OK. Back at the New Project screen, check the option to Force Project Settings. This will ensure your video project is optimized for a standard definition widescreen DVD.