4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2007 5:49 AM by rafa@mediatech

Loading my project

rafa@mediatech Level 1
      Hello:
      I made an educational presentation with a lot of narrative. Is there anything that will help with the loading of my movie? I have already done the fast start technique and it helped greatly, I converted my audio to swa audio, and it runs much much better. I have my audio load after frame one, so that it runs smooth during the presentation. But even after doing all this, some computers take 6 minutes to load the movie.
      My "stub.exe" is 3 MB and my "movie.dxr" is 45 MB. Am I asking too much to load from a disc????

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Loading my project
          Level 7
          45MB is a lot to run from CD smoothly. Here are a few other tricks that
          might lower your filesize somewhat:

1) As opposed to protecting your movie as a dxr, consider publishing it
          as dcr (shockwave). The dcr files tend to be smaller, and while it is
          not encrypted, to the best of my knowledge, no one has made a decompiler
          for dcr files, so it is about as secure.

2) Find your large bitmaps and if possible, lower the bit depth of them.
          <<SAVE YOUR FILE BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS>>. There is no undo, so be
          careful. Anyway, doubleclick the bitmap member so you are looking at it
          in the paint window. Look over on the left side of the paint window
          (under the tools) and there is a little box that probably says "32
          bits". Double click it and change the bit depth to 16. That will cut
          the file size in 1/2. It will also make the image look slightly grainy.
          It will remove any alpha channel you may have. Do not do this o an
          image that was imported with transparent spots, or you will lose the
          transparency. But if you have a few flat images like backgrounds for
          example, this can save you a lot of space- if the final outcome of this
          procedure is acceptable quality-wise. You can also do this with multipl
          members at a time by selecting them in the cast and choose Modify,
          Transform Bitmap. But then you don't get to see the before and after
          quite as clearly.
          • 2. Re: Loading my project
            rafa@mediatech Level 1
            Mike:
            Thank you for your advice. Changing the graphics to 16bits and making the movie a .dcr brought the file size down to 18 MB. Loading time has improved. The movie not being protected anymore is not an issue, my client is going to encrypt the disc with some software. Will encrypting the disc affect my director movie???

Again, thanks for your help.
            • 3. Re: Loading my project
              Level 7

"rafa@mediatech" wrote:

> ...dcr brought the file size down to 18 MB. Loading time has improved.
              > The movie not being protected anymore is not an issue,

Hi Rafa,

A DCR is a protected format. So offers the same level of protection as a DXR in
              that and end user will be unable to open your file and extract the code
              contents.

> my client is going to encrypt the disc with some software. Will encrypting the
              > disc affect my
              > director movie???

Do you know what encryption is being used? I have heard of encryption to prevent
              copying. I would not think it would affect the Director movie if that's all it
              is doing. But, guess with all things, testing would be advisable.

regards
              Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
              http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
              http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
              email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 4. Re: Loading my project
                rafa@mediatech Level 1
                Hey Dean!

I know they are using software called CD cops to encrypt, but not sure exactly what type of encryption.