10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2013 6:02 PM by Chris Cox

Photoshop Crashing

mb126

Hi, hoping someone can shed some light on a problem I am having.

I'm running an older version of Photoshop (CS3) on a second computer. Every time I attempt to cut and paste directly into Photoshop e.g. a screenshot for example. It crashes photoshop and most other programs that are running at the time. It's becoming very frustrating, I was wondering if there was a solution to this. I have Googled this extensively and tried a number of fixes but up until this point nothing has worked.

• 1. Re: Photoshop Crashing
          kendallplant Adobe Employee

Hi there! Because the forum you originally posted in is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop, I moved your question to the Photoshop General Discussion forum, where you'll get more specialized help.

To help others help you, please read through this article and provide any additional relevant details.

• 2. Re: Photoshop Crashing
            mb126 Level 1

Thanks Kendall much appreciated.

• Photoshop 10.0
            • Have you installed the recent updates? *Yes
            • What operating system? *Windows 7
            • What kind(s) of image file(s)? *Any image file really, screenshots.
            • If you are getting error message(s), what is the full text of the error message(s)? *No error message, just crashing.
            • What were you doing when the problem occurred? *Pasting any image directly into Photoshop.
            • Has this ever worked before? *Yes on a previous computer I didn't have this issue.
            • What other software are you running? *Illustrator, Indesign, Dreamweaver, Filezilla
            • Tell us about your computer hardware. How much RAM is installed?  *8.00GB How much free space is on your system (C:) drive? 172GB free of  279GB
            • Has this ever worked before?  If so, do you recall any changes you made to Photoshop, such as adding Plug-ins, brushes, etc.?  Did you make any changes to your system, such as updating hardware, printers or drivers; or installing/uninstalling any programs? *It hasn;t worked since first installing on new Asus laptop, however it does appear to be getting worse i.e. it now happs every time whereas before it was less frequent.
            • 3. Re: Photoshop Crashing
              Level 7

>> It crashes photoshop and most other programs that are running at the time.

That means that you have some sort of system level problem.

Possibly a utility program, possibly an OS issue, or possibly malware.

A bug in Photoshop could only crash Photoshop, not mulitiple applications.

• 4. Re: Photoshop Crashing
                mb126 Level 1

That sounds logical, thanks Chris.

Any idea on the cause from a system level in that case? It only ever happens when I am pasting an image directly into Photoshop, or right clicking and choosing 'edit this image in photoshop'.

I have been in touch with Asus but they need the computer to test it (probably 2-3 weeks without it) which is no good as I use it daily in my job.

• 5. Re: Photoshop Crashing
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

On Windows, I would start with the Event Viewer, and explore the System and the Applications Tabs. At the time of the last crash, you should have one, or more, warning, or error messages. Look for any with links, and follow all of those links. Your issue will likely be found within one of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Photoshop Crashing
                    mb126 Level 1

Thanks Bill, really appreciate your advice.

I did as mentioned and found the 'event'

Faulting application name: Acrobat.exe, version: 8.0.0.456, time stamp: 0x453c8d7f

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18015, time stamp: 0x50b83c8a

Exception code: 0xc00000fd

Fault offset: 0x0000eea9

Faulting process id: 0x21d4

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce3b1b4f7a100e

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 8.0\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll

Report Id: f8c1a40c-a717-11e2-92db-3085a90a9850

I really have no idea what this means however I take it that the faulting module path would indicate where the issue lies but

after Googling this have not been able to shed much light on the issue.

• 7. Re: Photoshop Crashing
                      Level 7

Kernelbase.dll is part of the OS.

Could be corrupt files in the OS install, maybe a bad driver, or malware.

• 8. Re: Photoshop Crashing
                        mb126 Level 1

Just wanted to say thanks to all who offered help on this thread.

I did address the file being corrupt and (knock on wood) haven't had a crash since.

Many Thanks. It's saved me a stack of time and frustration!

• 9. Re: Photoshop Crashing
                          mb126 Level 1

Damn, looks like this isn't solved at all. I am now at least receiving an error message:

'com surrogate has stopped working'

I have googled this and tried some of the solutions recommended but nothing seems to be working. Has anyone had any success dealing with this error?

• 10. Re: Photoshop Crashing
                            Level 7

Usually means an out of date codec is installed -- google the phrase and you'll find lots of advice.