5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2013 10:07 AM by regina63 RSS

Working with XML

community help Community Member

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WS372C59DB-BD13-4806-A399-794E754FF37Aa.html

• 1. Re:  Working with XML

I wish you would give some more examples. This is a very basic overview

• 2. Re:  Working with XML
            Steve Werner ACP/MVPs

You'll never get examples in a Help file. You need a book, or a video, or a class. Here's one of the best books around on the subject:

• 3. Re:  Working with XML
              makdadddy Community Member

Hi Steve

Thanks for the quick responce. I was hoping to get some real world help on this. I notice that there are alot of posts on this simular topic all point towards an external purchase on Amazon.

Surely this cant be that hard? Or is it?

I have worked out that if I manully create the table I want and the headings I can export this to xlm and try to match up how the SQL command should output.

I dont understand why I cannot use the current <Root> <Story> <Table> hirearchy (from my current Import XML) and get Adobe Indesign to do what I expect it to and return new data rows below each other. Sorry hard to type but I have 6500 items that I want on a new row. Fairly simple I would have thought.

• 4. Re:  Working with XML
                Steve Werner ACP/MVPs

Honestly, only a tiny fraction of the InDesign user base (and this forum base) use XML.

• 5. Re:  Working with XML

If you can provide more detail about your xml file and your template someone might be more able to help. Other than Root/Story/Table, are you using namespaces in your tags? Are you using any particular attributes?

In your Indesign file, are you starting with a placeholder table or bringing in all data for the table with the XML? I can probably point you to examples of some tables, but need to know more about what you are looking to build, or have built.