8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2013 1:15 AM by Eugene Tyson

Linked text with anchored frames

GA19

I have a document that contains anchored frames. I would like to link the text only and not the anchored frames. Is there a way to do this?

• 1. Re: Linked text with anchored frames
          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not sure what you mean, can you elaborate on what you're trying to achieve? Screenshots would be helpful

• 2. Re: Linked text with anchored frames
            GA19 Level 1

SOURCE DOCUMENT.jpg

Above is the source document I'd like to link text to in a different document.  This source document contains anchored frames. I need to create and place the linked text into a new document without the achored frames for a quick reference guide that I am creating.

• 3. Re: Linked text with anchored frames

Ok I understand. Next I need to understand your workflow - what have you been trying? This will help eliminate suggesting things you've tried, or perhaps something in your workflow you can add or eliminate to sort the issue.

The best way I can think of is to have a unique paragraph style for the text, anchored frames tend to be part of the paragraph - so you should use Type>Show Hidden Characters and move the Anchor to a paragraph that you don't want included in the quick reference.

I'd then use a TOC to create the quick reference guide.

But this may not suit the way you have things setup - there might be a better way - like using cross references.

• 4. Re: Linked text with anchored frames
                GA19 Level 1

I just tried your suggestion, but when i go back and update any text in the Parent document and update the child document, it puts the anchored frames back into my child document.

• 5. Re: Linked text with anchored frames

Hmm - I'm not sure what happened there. Haven't got time this evening to go through it sorry.

The only other way I can think of is when you're finished do a GREP search for ~a

And replace with nothing and it will remove any anchored frames.

• 6. Re: Linked text with anchored frames
                    peter minneapolis Level 4

If you're using Place and Link, and the parent contains an anchored frame and text, then the child will have the same content. If you think "inside the box" instead of "outside," ** consider creating the parent text without anchored frames and linking that text into the child document where the anchored frames will be. Changing parent text will change child text, as expected.

** I think I mixed my metaphors about what's in the box and what's not. I was hoping to say make the parent text have no anchored frames so the child linked content won't inherit parental anchored frames.

As Eugene notes, you can also extract the text with the TOC method, which is nearly completely automated, or with cross-references, which take some setup, but thereafter automatically updates. Search Google for terms like "InDesign table of contents," and "InDesign cross-references," without quotes, for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

GA19 wrote:

I just tried your suggestion, but when i go back and update any text in the Parent document and update the child document, it puts the anchored frames back into my child document.

• 7. Re: Linked text with anchored frames
                      GA19 Level 1

The TOC method would work if I didn't have caution tables in my documents.  The TOC method doesn't import the tables.

I tried creating the parent document without the anchored frame first, but when i placed anchored frames in the child document and tried to update text in the parent doc, it deleted all of my anchored frames in the child doc.

• 8. Re: Linked text with anchored frames

You have to select the table the same way as you select a piece of text, and make sure it has the Style applied. I notice a lot of files I recieve the Table is in a paragraph that is set to Basic style and not the style of the text prior/after the table.