15 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2013 3:56 PM by rob day RSS

problem with color when printing

vsylvia8 Community Member

Hello,

I have an issue involving a company logo that was sent to me in eps format. When I place it into InDesign, it shows as the correct color. However, when overprint preview is on and when the document is printed, the logo is darkened. How do i keep the original color when printing?

Thank you!

Vanessa

• 1. Re: problem with color when printing
          Eugene Tyson CommunityMVP

There are several options from within InDesign on colour when printing - go to Output and attempt several different colour settings.

However, what InDesign shows on screen and on your own printer is not accurate to what a printers would achieve.

How does it print from Illustrator?

If this is being printed professionally you should request a colour proof from your printers.

• 2. Re: problem with color when printing
            Eugene Tyson CommunityMVP

Also - logos usually come with spot colour references, you should relay these spot colours to the printers for accurate reproduction.

• 3. Re: problem with color when printing
              P Spier CommunityMVP

vsylvia8 wrote:

When I place it into InDesign, it shows as the correct color. However, when overprint preview is on and when the document is printed, the logo is darkened.

Is placed against another background color? It sounds as if it's set to overprint.

• 4. Re: problem with color when printing

Peter - yes, it is placed over another color. Is there a way to take it off over print? Eugene - The brochure I created was for the local college, they have a printer they work with and all I was told was that the logo was printing purple-ish when in reality it should be blue. I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that if it was the schools professional logo, that the colors would be correct in the logo file, however when I turn overprint preview on and when the woman I am working with goes to get a sample, it is printing too dark. I wasn't sure if I had a wrong setting on or if I could do anything to fix it.

Thank you all again for your help.

• 5. Re: problem with color when printing
                  P Spier CommunityMVP

Most likely the problem is inthe .eps itself, but there's a slim chance it's set to overprint in ID, so let's check that first. Select the logo in ID, then go to Window > Output > Attibutes... and make sure the Overprint Fill box is NOT checked.

If it is not checked already, you'll have to open the .eps file and remove the overprints there. This is a vector file of some sort, I presume? Should open OK in Illustrator as long as there are no missing fonts. I'd also resave as .ai and replace the .eps file in the layout.

• 6. Re: problem with color when printing

Peter - Thank you so much for the walk through, I really appreciate it! I am at my day job right now but I will definitly try these steps when I get home tonight (around 6 central time). Just to clerify, save the logo as .ai then place that file into the InDesign document?

Thanks again!

• 7. Re: problem with color when printing
                      P Spier CommunityMVP

Check for Overprint in the Attributes panel in ID first. If it's not set to overprint in ID, then the overprint attribute is embedded in the eps file and you'll need to edit that to remove it (again, using the attributes panel, but this time in Illustrator). Save as .ai (or PDF with Illustrator editing capabilities) and replace the .eps (technically not absolutley necessary, but .eps files are old technology and cause more problems than .ai or PDF).

• 8. Re: problem with color when printing

Hello,

I checked the attributes panel in InDesign and the overprint box was not checked. Also, I opened the logo in Illustrator and the box was not filled there either. I saved it as an .ai file and it did not change the color, it is still the dark color.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

• 9. Re: problem with color when printing
                          MW Design CommunityMVP

Is the logo AI file in the RGB color space or CMYK? What is the color space in ID?

Can you show a screen shot of the AI file placed in ID, with and without overprint preview on?

Mike

• 10. Re: problem with color when printing

I believe my boyfriend may have helped me find a way of making it work. I'm not sure if this was the best way to fix it but it seems to have fixed it. However, I am still curious of how to fix it the correct way. Below is the screen shot. The right logo is the darker one and the left in the circle is the lighter color (the correct color). The only way we were able to fix it was saving the file as a png in Photoshop and then placing it in InDesign. A sidebar question I did have was that under edit - color settings - color management policies, under rgb it is listed as preserve embedded profiles. I am wondering if I had that set to "convert to working space" if it would have helped. I believe the original logo may have been in rgb.

Thank you to everyone who responded!

• 12. Re: problem with color when printing
                              P Spier CommunityMVP

Mike may be on to something with his question about color space. I suspect you are either using a conversion from a spot color, or you maybe don't have the vector version to start out (did you select elements in Illustrator to check or overprint, or just open the panel, by the way?) Your Darker version, which is dark even whne not on a background, probably menas it is not a case of overprint, but it does look suspicioulsy like a spot-to-process color conversion.

• 13. Re: problem with color when printing

When I went into Illustrator I did check for overprint and it was not checked. In Illustrator the ASEM lettering was done in points but the American Society for Engineering Management looks like it was done with the type tool.

• 14. Re: problem with color when printing
                                  P Spier CommunityMVP

What color is assigned to the logo?

• 15. Re: problem with color when printing
                                    rob day CommunityMVP

The only way we were able to fix it was saving the file as a png in Photoshop and then placing it in InDesign

PNGs have to be RGB (or Grayscale), but InDesign doesn't honor a PNG's color profile—the Indesign document's RGB profile gets assigned. So the reason PNG worked is probably because the profile got stripped. You could confirm that by saving the logo in another format and don't include the profile.

A sidebar question I did have was that under edit - color settings - color management policies, under rgb it is listed as preserve embedded profiles. I am wondering if I had that set to "convert to working space" if it would have helped.

No, convert to profile only converts native InDesign colors—it has no effect on placed images.