10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2013 1:50 PM by Budro Waite

Selection Tool Problem

Budro Waite

AFter performing a task on a selection,  clicking outside the selection does not deselect,  Why not?

• 1. Re: Selection Tool Problem
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

You probaly have your selection tool settings in the tool options bar set to something other than New Selection.

What version of photoshop elements are you using?

Is this question related to your other two posts?

• 2. Re: Selection Tool Problem
            Budro Waite Level 1

Selection Tool Issue.  I an using Windows 7. Using the marque selection tool.IIf Ifill a selection with a color, then by clicking outside the selection does not deselect. I have to go to Select and click Deselect .  I assume that is the wsy it is.Clicking outside the selection only deselects if you have not performed a task on the selection. Using Elements 11.  Also, my tool option is set to New Selection..Does this all make sense to you?

Bud Waite

thewaites98@att.net.

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® II, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

• 3. Re: Selection Tool Problem

You have new selection selected and also the Aspect set on Normal and zero feather?

(it should work as your wanting it to)

Untitled-1.png

I'd suggest resetting the pse 11 editor preferences by going to Edit>Preferences>General and clicking on Reset Preferences on next launch

and then restart the pse 11 editor and see if things work right.

Untitled-12.png

• 4. Re: Selection Tool Problem
                Budro Waite Level 1

Kelly

tried what you suggested,  Nothing seems to work.  I guess I will just live with it.  One more question.  I am visually impaired.  What means do I have for increasinf the font sizes?

Yhanks for yopur inputs.

Bud  Waite

thewaites98@att.net

• 5. Re: Selection Tool Problem
                  Budro Waite Level 1

Kelly

Closing PDF Files Problem(Elements 11)

Here is my scenereo:

I have conveerteed  a Word Document

into a PDF file.  I open the PDF file just to observe it.  I don't make any change.  Now I try to close the file, and pop up window asks "Do you want to save the changes?".. I did not make any changes.  If I click Yes it asks me the same thing again.  Why does it ask me anything?.. I did not make any changes.  If I click No, everything appears to be OK.  I just do not understand why it keeps asking this question whwn no changes were made. 

Is there some setting on Preferences that will take care of this. 

U would appreciate it very much if you could help me.   I am converting a 225 page  Word document to PDF strictly for commercial printing purposes.  Thanks

( Maybe the answer is Click No the first time it asks.  ????  I am really confused)

Robert  Waite

thewaites98@att.net

Windows 7

• 6. Re: Selection Tool Problem

When you open a pdf file into photoshop elements it goes through what is known as rasterization which is the process of taking an image or document that is in a vector format (pdf)

and converting it to a raster (pixel or often called bitmap images) format, which is what photoshop elements essentially is, a pixel editor, so it's not good to actually edit important pdfs in photoshop elements.

Opening them without saving is fine though.

Pdfs can contain both vector anf bitmap data, but the pdf format is considered a vector file type in the eyes of photoshop elements.

That's why you see the dialog come up when opening pdf's into photoshop elements and why you see a dialog asking if you want to save the changes when closing, even though you just

lookd at the pdf.

If you have adobe reader that would be better for opening pdf files.

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

One word of caution if don't already have adobe reader and that is to look at the page carefully before you download it or adobe will sneak in some virus scanner or something that you may not want.

There should be a checkbox next to the item such as McAfee so you can opt out of the add-on.

I forgot in you one of your posts you asked about the interface font size in pse 11 and unfortunatly it's a fixed size.

• 7. Re: Selection Tool Problem
                      Budro Waite Level 1

Kelly

Thank you so much. I already have Adobe Reader.  I tried what you ssid and Bang!  It worked like a charm.  Thanks again.  You hit the nail on the head.  Many msny thsnks. Your answer was very thorough.

Robert Waite

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy Note® II, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

• 8. Re: Selection Tool Problem
                        Budro Waite Level 1

Kelly

I am confused about capability of Adobe Reader and Adobe Acrobat Xl and how to use them.   Here is my situation:  I have created a book on Word 2010.  It has 225 pages with several different files- some several pages long and some only 1 page  They are all numbered  each page manually.  My commercial printer has asked my to convert everything to PDF.   The final product needs to be all in order Page 1 thru 225  .   What is the easiest and best way for me to do this?  I have Word 2010, Adobe Reader and a trial version of Acrobat  Xl.   Where are the best instructions for learning how to do this>  Is there a written manual? Is there simple videos I can watch?    Please advice me once more. 

Robert  Waite

thewaites98@att.net

636 405 3050.

• 9. Re: Selection Tool Problem
                          hatstead Adobe Community Professional

If you created your book in WORD, why not simply go to File>save as, and select PDF as the file type?

See here:

Capture.JPG

• 10. Re: Selection Tool Problem
                            Budro Waite Level 1

If I use Word  It doesn't help me to Merge  the Files into a single master document. That is my basic problem. 

Robert  waite