8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2013 8:05 PM by Jim_Simon

How do I turn off timecode burn in

Guy Burns Level 1

I'm up to page 140 of the manual, methodically working my way through Premiere, and tried Timecode burn in. Worked well. But how do I turn it off? No explanaiton anywhere in the manual or online as far as I can find.

This timecode thing has got me confused. My GH2 hasn't got timecode as far as I'm aware. Yet timecode is appearing all over the place in Premiere. On p141 of the manual it states: "If you have the Source panel selected, the Timecode panel will display source timecode." Well, I didn't think my source had timecode, but timecode is being displayed. Why?

I'm now up to page 144, and a similar problem has appeared with In and Out points. I can set them in the Project Window, and a yellow bar appears on the clip icon, and a green bar in the Source Window, showing the extent of the In/Out setup. I can delete the In/Out setup by Control-clicking on the green bar, and then the yellow bar also disappears. That's all okay.  But I can't work out how to delete the In/Out points in the Icon in the Project Window from within the Icon, the place I originally set them up.

• 1. Re: How do I turn off timecode burn in
          joe bloe premiere Level 5
          ...tried Timecode burn in. Worked well. But how do I turn it off?

Timecode burn-in is an effect applied in the Timeline in order to

display clip (or sequence) timecode within the video preview of the clip.

To turn off timecode burn-in, you disable or delete the effect.

View timecode as a burn-in

"If you have the Source panel selected, the Timecode panel

will display source timecode." Well, I didn't think my source

had timecode, but timecode is being displayed. Why?

The 'Timecode Panel' is different from a timecode burn-in.

The panel can be activated by checking it in the 'Window' menu.

Your source clip's timecode will be displayed in the timecode window

whle the Source Monitor is selected or playing.

If the clip has no embedded timecode,

the counter will assume that the clip begins @00:00:00:00.

zero.PNG

View timecode in the Timecode panel (CS6)

I'm now up to page 144, and a similar problem has appeared with In and Out points. I can set them in the Project Window, and a yellow bar appears on the clip icon, and a green bar in the Source Window, showing the extent of the In/Out setup. I can delete the In/Out setup by Control-clicking on the green bar, and then the yellow bar also disappears. That's all okay.  But I can't work out how to delete the In/Out points in the Icon in the Project Window from within the Icon, the place I originally set them up.

A screen capture of what you are seeing here might help.

• 2. Re: How do I turn off timecode burn in
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with the Help File, the resources listed in this FAQ Entry might be helpful, as well: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/878529?tstart=0

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I turn off timecode burn in
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Joe covered the Timecode issue pretty well.  I can't duplicate your In/Out issue, though.  CTRL+clicking doesn't clear anything for me.  The 'normal' method is with a right click>Clear In/Out points, which works as expected.

• 4. Re: How do I turn off timecode burn in
                Guy Burns Level 1

In/Out Points

I can clear the In/Out Points in the Source Window, but not in the Project Window. I want to find out if I can clear the points from within the Project Window. See screen grab.

Premiere In Out Points.jpg

Clearing Timecode

Attached is a screengrab of what I'm trying to remove – the timecode in the Program Window. I'm working my way through the manual at about 10 pages an hour. One of those hours was spent trying to remove the timecode shown in the screengrab. A search of the manual, an internet search, but nought. I found out how to remove timecode in FCP and Avid, but not Premiere. It's probably so easy to do that it's not even documented. But I can't work it out.

What do I click on to remove that timecode in the upper left of the screengrab?

Premiere TimeCode.jpg

• 5. Re: How do I turn off timecode burn in
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For the TimeCode Effect, with that Clip Selected, go to the Effects Control Panel, where you will see all Effects applied to it. Turn OFF the TimeCode Effect.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do I turn off timecode burn in
                    Guy Burns Level 1

Thanks Bill. Full marks (and a Correct tick) to you, even if it did take me several minutes in the Effects Control panel to work out how to turn off the effect.

I'll award a Fail to the writer of the Premiere Manual and the designers of the interface. Timecode burn-in is introduced on around p140, but it doesn't tell you how to turn it off, till page 336: "Click the Effect button to disable effects". Even so, I would have picked it up if the the Enable/Disable box was a simple tick – but a tiny "fx" symbol? Utterly unintuitive. Fail Adobe, fail! It still amazes me how often software instructions tell you how to do something, but forget to tell you how to undo it.

Now, back to the In/Out points. I've set them inside the Project Panel. Can I delete them from inside the same Panel?

• 7. Re: How do I turn off timecode burn in
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got that part sorted out!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: How do I turn off timecode burn in
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I want to find out if I can clear the points from within the Project Window. See screen grab.

CTRL+SHIFT+X.