6 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2013 11:06 AM by JimKWC

Maximum number of choices in a dropdown field

JimKWC

Is there a maximum number of choices that can be placed in a dropdown field?

• 1. Re: Maximum number of choices in a dropdown field
          Genevieve Laroche Adobe Employee

I do not think that we have a maximum (how many were you thinking to add?)

There might be some performace impact in the Design Tab if the number is really big.

• 2. Re: Maximum number of choices in a dropdown field
            JimKWC Level 1

Genevieve,

Many thanks for your quick response. The direct answer is a bit over 400 choices. I know, I know. I’d appreciate any better suggestions.

I’m creating a form to be completed by college instructors in which they indicate their contact info, a course name and number, and information re textbook for that course. I need to pass it along as an Excel sheet with each ROW representing a RECORD for one book. See attached.

My original plan was to have the form first present a choice of subject (e.g., ENG, HIST, POLSCI) and then use a logic rule to pull up the relative small subset of courses under that subject. That went south in a hurry when I imagined what the spreadsheet was going to look like since there has to be a column for each subject area from the first question. If you’d like to look at the much smaller dropdown box in the form I’ve just completed for the summer term, it’s at https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=FocAopnkrTWy8CZaWccckw. I could have four dropdown boxes subsetted according to the division choices in the previous question on the form, but I still end up with a spreadsheet that’s a mess.

I’ve considered having the instructor key in the course number and title, but college faculty are even less reliable than their students.

If you’re more interested than you should be you’ll note that the choices in the dropdown box contain course number, title, and number of students in one field. The target Excel sheet has them in separate fields. I’ll handle that by using text to columns in Excel.

I’d appreciate any wisdom you might share. Since the only way to build the drop down is by copying and pasting each choice, you can see why it occurred to me to ask if there’s a max before doing 401 and then it won’t take the last 10!!

Again, many thanks,

Jim   8*)

• 3. Re: Maximum number of choices in a dropdown field

Sorry Jim I missed this response a few weeks ago. I guess you can take back your original "thank you".

I don't think I can provide much wisdom on how to achieve this beside entering all your dropdown entries manually. I must say that 400 is a lot and don't know how well FormsCentral will perform in the authoring enviroment with that many choices. Did you get a change to create the big dropdown? How was it?

Sorry again for the delay in responding to you.

Gen

• 4. Re: Maximum number of choices in a dropdown field
                JimKWC Level 1

I’ll even reiterate my thank you! I don’t know of any other group of folks who would have bothered to write back at all.

Turned out ok. I couldn’t figure out any other way to do it. I finally set up the field contents in Excel and then copied & pasted one cell at a time into the Adobe drop down field. Ended up with approximately 375 choices in the dropdown box. Worked pretty well. The form didn’t seem to have any problem handling it.

Again, many thanks.

Jim

• 5. Re: Maximum number of choices in a dropdown field

Thanks for you reply. I am sorry that you had to enter all the choices manually but glad to hear that even with that many choices the form behaved correctly.

Have a look at this idea http://forums.adobe.com/ideas/2872. You can vote for it if you think this is something that would have helped you.

Gen

• 6. Re: Maximum number of choices in a dropdown field
                    JimKWC Level 1

Thanks. Just voted in favor. It’s not a lot of fun.   8*)