9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2016 4:54 PM by maxglitz

Photoshop CS6 MAC OS how do I locate an open image in the finder?

Bufftom Level 1

Every version of Photoshop on MAC platform before CS6 gave me a path to my image in the finder when I right-clicked or Control Clicked on the title bar.

Now I get information I can easily get elsewhere and there's no intuitive way to get my path information.

This is inconsistent with other CS applications as well.

Anybody have any ideas?

Really frustrating is that after saving an image it works, then if I leave the image open, click on another image, then click back to the one I just saved, the option list is different when I right click.

See attached.MacPS6_TitleBarRightClickSS.png

• 1. Re: Photoshop CS6 MAC OS how do I locate an open image in the finder?
          conroy Level 5

That looks like your document has not been saved except "As Copy" to a JPEG therefore the document is not associated with a file whose path could be revealed. A big clue is the lack of an icon to the left of the name.

If you save the doc, but not "As Copy", then the doc will become associated with a file and there will be a path to reveal.

If you open a file into Ps then the doc is associated with that file and there will be a path to reveal.

• 2. Re: Photoshop CS6 MAC OS how do I locate an open image in the finder?
            Bufftom Level 1

You are apparently not looking carefully at the image.

You can see '...jpg" just to the left of the @33.3%

That is a clear indication of 2 things that are true:

1) The image has been saved

2) The image is NOT a copy of another image because if it was the word "Copy" would be visible to the right of the suffix.

I have images that were saved and images that were opened from the drive.

I get the same useless dropdown menu for all of them.

• 3. Re: Photoshop CS6 MAC OS how do I locate an open image in the finder?
              conroy Level 5

I am tired. Sorry for completely wasting your time.

• 4. Re: Photoshop CS6 MAC OS how do I locate an open image in the finder?
                Level 5

tenortom wrote:

Every version of Photoshop on MAC platform before CS6 gave me a path to my image in the finder when I right-clicked or Control Clicked on the title bar…

No. 

Try the COMMAND key instead.  It works fine on my Macs running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

That's the way Photoshop has always worked on the Mac.

Incidentally, it's Mac for Macintosh, not "MAC".  You must be new to the Mac

• 5. Re: Photoshop CS6 MAC OS how do I locate an open image in the finder?
                  Level 5

tenortom wrote:

…This is inconsistent with other CS applications as well…

Inconsistency between or among applications in the artificial "suites" should come as no surprise.

The "suite" concept is a complete fabrication of Adobe marketing and bean-counting types.  The engineering teams are totally independent of each other, they are not only in different buildings but in different cities and states of the American Union, even in different countries.

The fact that they have little if any communication among them is highlighted by requests occasionally made in these forums by top Adobe engineers to let the other teams know when there are problems in one application that impact our workflow in another one.

• 6. Re: Photoshop CS6 MAC OS how do I locate an open image in the finder?
                    Bufftom Level 1

I thought maybe it was a memory issue because I saved the file and it still had "Reveal in Finder" grayed out. (Pay no attention to those who claim they know whether it was saved or not because they have some other agenda and are incorrect).

I closed PS, cleared memory, opened the image back up and voila "Reveal in Finder" was avaible now. So I tried saving another image while having 8 gigs of free memory and once again "Reveal in Finder" was greyed out. So I closed the image and opened it back up again and "Reveal in Finder" was available.

So, something is wrong with PS CS6 in that "Reveal in Finder" won't work unless an image is saved, closed, then reopened.

This never ever happened in any version at least going back to CS2.

Does anyone who knows anything about Photoshop and belongs on this forum have any ideas?

• 7. Re: Photoshop CS6 MAC OS how do I locate an open image in the finder?
                      vinsolo Level 3

conroy,

you are correct. there was no icon to the LEFT of the title. This means that the document has not been saved, and thus the lack of the dropdown path.

vince

• 8. Re: Photoshop CS6 MAC OS how do I locate an open image in the finder?
                        Bufftom Level 1

I just turned off the Suitcase Fusion Auto-Activation Plug-in for PS CS6 because of a more severe problem that had developed.

Since turning that off, the program works properly in that the "Reveal in Finder" is possible to use after saving an image, withouth having to close it and reopen it first.

• 9. Re: Photoshop CS6 MAC OS how do I locate an open image in the finder?
                          maxglitz Level 1

I came looking for the same answer. And think I discovered the answer.  Maybe THIS will help. In Photoshop CS6, I usually let all of my open Photoshop documents rest in tabs in a main Photoshop window. All I ever get when I right click and hold the tab is "Reveal in Finder" at the bottom of the choices, forcing me to leave Photoshop and to go the finder to see the file in its folder. Like you, all I want to see is the file's path and location. However, (back in Photoshop) if you click on the tab of the open file and choose "Move to new window," you can right click in the title bar OVER THE TITLE ITSELF and reveal the whole finder path for that file. But clicking in the open space in the title bar (to the left or right of the title itself) reveals what you show in your original image with "Duplicate, Image size, etc.

Tricky, obscure annoyances that qualifies as "change for the sake of change" nonsense that makes no improvement and just confuses.