3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2013 10:12 PM by Flex harUI

When I change state the UI does not update

jwebb-compunetix

I have some code that uses state changes to manage the buttons in a login screen:

<mx:states>

<!-- Default state: the LoginWindow accepts input from the user -->

<!--  Login

login is in progress.

No input allowed other than the "Cancel" button

-->

<mx:State name="{STATE_LOGIN}">

<mx:SetProperty target="{loginForm}" name="enabled" value="false"/>

<mx:SetProperty target="{loginButton}" name="enabled" value="false"/>

<mx:SetProperty target="{cancelLoginButton}" name="enabled" value="true"/>

<mx:SetProperty target="{statusLabel}" name="text"

value="{resourceManager.getString(ResourceNames.BUNDLE_NAME,

ResourceNames.LOGIN_CONNECTING_STATE)}"/>

</mx:State>

The problem is that when I change the state by setting currentState to STATE_LOGIN the UI change does not happen right away. In fact it doesn't take place until the login event is complete, creating a race condition.

However, I've been able to work around this problem by explicitly setting the values of loginButton.enabled and cancelLoginButton.enabled in my program:

loginButton.enabled = false;

cancelLoginButton.enabled = true;

When I do this, the buttons are enabled in the right way.

Why does explicitly setting the button enabled flags work, but the state change, which should do the same thing, not?