2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2013 12:00 PM by alexjwatts

System upgrade z77 based machine - new Disks/SSD + new graphics card £1500 budget

alexjwatts

Hello all, I've read so many threads I am totaly confused now over how best to upgrade my machine. I'm a photographer moving into DSLR shooting and editing on premier pro. My machine is 2 years old and I think OK to upgrade but many threads and current suggestions are for current latest processors and I want to get a balanced machine. I currently have 4 drive as raid 10 for my programs OS, and a mirrored drive for media files but I obviously need to change most of this. I dont do any after effects(currently) but often use the multi cam editor and 4/5 viceo tracks on a timeline. I've got 32G of ram. I think I need possibly SSD OS/progs, several fast drives and a compliant video card. My PSU is 750w and I have 10 drive bays in a huge case. PLease help!

• 1. Re: System upgrade z77 based machine - new Disks/SSD + new graphics card £1500 budget
          Harm Millaard Level 7

My personal opinion is that you are stretching it a bit. DSLR footage is pretty difficult to handle and requires some horsepower. Using it with 5 shots in a multicam situation is extremely taxing on the system, especially on the CPU and memory.

If I were to go from scratch, I would go for a 2011 platform with an overclocked i7-3930K CPU and a dedicated raid controller, but you have a Z77 with a quad core. Assuming you don't want to change platforms now, I would suggest:

• Overclock your CPU to around 4.5 GHz.
          • Use 32 GB 1600+ memory.
          • Use a GTX 650 Ti Boost or GTX 660 video card. It makes no sense to go higher than that on this platform.

There is no sense in going for a dedicated raid controller on this platform, since it reduces your video card performance by around 10-15%, due to the lack of PCIe lanes and you want that video performance for the multicam processing.

You are between a rock and a hard place. The Z77 platform has severe limitations for what you want to do, but the X79 platform carries quite some costs. I don't envy your position.

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
          • 2. Re: System upgrade z77 based machine - new Disks/SSD + new graphics card £1500 budget
            alexjwatts Level 1

Thanks harm for the response, very interesting. My system is just a year old, originally built just for using Lightroom/ Photoshop on stills, the video work is a recent but exciting develpment. my current system's MoB is the  P8Z77-V WS  and has 32GB 1600 corsair memory in 4 sticks

I could sell the mobo/cpu/mem bundle and perhaps recover about £400 and upgrade to a X79 platform which would cost approx £600( with the recovered cash from selling the Z77).

So option 1 keep the old MoBo which has the following storage connections:

Intel® Z77 chipset :
            2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), white
            4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue
            Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
            Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology, Intel® Smart Connect Technology *3
            Marvell® PCIe 9128 controller :
            2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue
            Support Raid 0, 1
            ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller : *4
            2 x eSATA 6Gb/s port(s), red

Based on your 4 disk conbfig from the generic disk config thread how should I arrange my disks? I Guess that an SSD for OS and progs would be sensible on the first Intel 6Gb/s . The second 6Gb/s for as fast as possible HSS( velocerapto?). Should I now use the 4 x SATA 3Gb/s for a raid 10 with WD Black drives as the Media /Projects Drive and the 2 marvel 6Gb/s for the Exports drive and my DVD burner. Any thoughts?